Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
schmitz2308
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Baby food making ?

What do you use to make your baby food. I plan on making my own, but don't know what is the best. Please tell me what you use/have used and how they rate. I want something that will work well and last through atleast one if not two kids. If you use a blender what brand is the best? Anyone use a bullet? What about a Vita-Mix? Is it worth the money? Thanks in advance!!

Advertisement

Old 10-05-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
wooly_wonderful
Registered Users
Formerly: lxl***ca
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby food making ?

I steam or bake the food then puree it in the Magic Bullet. After pureeing, I store the food in baby cubes. I love my magic bullet, I use it almost everyday!
wooly_wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
takasmom
Registered Users

this may not be the answer you were looking for but...we have enough kitchen gadgetry that i *refused* to buy anything additional specifically for babyfood. if you wait long enough it shouldn't be necessary to puree and you can just feed little portions of your regular food. that being said, my 6.5 month old is not to that point yet and we have started solids a little. i just use a fork to mush up banana, avocado and sweet potato. easy and no extra appliances cluttering the counter!!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
LanesMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just have the cheapest small food processor that walmart carried. I just blend the foods and then pour them in recycled gerber baby food plastic containers and freeze in freezer bags in the deep freezer. I even do meats in there with some extra water to make it smoother.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
sheldensb
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by takasmom View Post
this may not be the answer you were looking for but...we have enough kitchen gadgetry that i *refused* to buy anything additional specifically for babyfood. if you wait long enough it shouldn't be necessary to puree and you can just feed little portions of your regular food. that being said, my 6.5 month old is not to that point yet and we have started solids a little. i just use a fork to mush up banana, avocado and sweet potato. easy and no extra appliances cluttering the counter!!
I do this also--if you steam the fruits and veggies until they're soft enough to mash, it saves you time because you can feed them food you're already preparing for the family, and you don't have to hassle with an appliance.
sheldensb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
schmitz2308
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not buying something extra does make sense, and my house is so small we don't need anything extra!!
Old 10-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
earthmama23
Registered Users

My Mood:

For my daughter I would steam what I wanted to make then puree in food processor till blended. Then freeze in small jars for later use. This worked out well for advance preparation.

I loved to combine squash or sweet potato with a green vegetable.
earthmama23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
earthmama23
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh forgot to mention you can buy a baby food mill for about $10 from most baby stores.
earthmama23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:30 AM   #9
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took a blender, canned veggies/fruit, fresh fruit that was soft (ie bananas) and pureed them in a blender. Sometime you have to add water (sweet potatoes) or if it's naturally thin (some canned fruits) then I added a little creal to the mixture. Poured the puree into ice cube trays and waited for them to freeze, then put the frozen cubes in a freezer zip-lock and took out as needed. Loved it, very cheap and healthy. I used a $12 walmart blender.

Oh and when buying canned stuff I tried to get organic. It's the only way I could feed her organic without breaking the bank. Gerber organic is so expensive! If we were home and had our garden I'd just steam and puree my own home grown foods

Last edited by aiyana4969; 10-09-2008 at 10:32 AM.
aiyana4969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #10
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by takasmom View Post
DD#2 was willing to wait untill she could pick up food like peas etc, but #3 was into solids BIG TIME at 4 months. I tried to keep her from them but she was feeding every hour and always screaming, so I gave in an gave her a little cereal that I mixed thick just to show DH she wasn't ready and she took it like a pro Had the whole open bird mouth down by the second spoon full. I really didn't want to start solids untill she could just feed herself. Luckily she took to that early too! now just eats whatever we do, the puree stage didn't last long.