Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
PixieAlly
Registered Users

Does this mean she's not ready for solids?

My daughter just turned 6 months on 9/28 and my milk supply has gone waaaaaay down so I figured I would try some solids. I started with avocado. I can get one spoonful in and after that she keeps her mouth clamped shut and turns her head any time I try to even approach her mouth with a spoon or my finger! She loves playing with the avocado, but refuses to eat it. Even as she is playing with it, she never brings it up to her mouth even though EVERYTHING else she touches goes directly into her mouth!
I've tried twice now. I guess I am surprised because I've seen other babies that just keep opening their mouths when you touch the spoon or you finger to their lips even if they are making yucky faces the whole time LOL Could it be she is not ready to eat or she just doesn't like avocado? I'm going to try some banana this week but it just seems like she's not interested in food even though I can't imagine she's getting enough milk (I used to be able to pump 4-5 oz in the morning from one breast and now I am lucky to get 1-2 ounces)

Ally

Advertisement

PixieAlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
SarahOxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does this mean she's not ready for solids?

It does not mean she is not ready she just may not like what you are giving her. I would try something else and go from there. You may be pumping less but it is well known that you never pump as much as a baby gets when they nurse. She may just be slowing down on eating because she is not growing at this time. There are many things to think about. I'm just betting she is either getting enough milk or she is about to do something new. Sometimes babies stop or slow down on nursing when something new is about to happen. Maybe a tooth coming in so the pressure is different on the gums. Good luck mama.
SarahOxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
takasmom
Registered Users

hey mama, our lo's are almost the same age!! (mine was 6 months on 9/22).

so i would say clamping your mouth shut and turning her head is a pretty clear sign that she is not interested. you can try reoffering the avocado, try another food, try altering the temperature and consistency to experiment with what she likes. or you can just wait another week or two and try again.

also, the food is really about exploration until at least a year, so its not really going to be replacing your dip in supply of BM. even though that wasn't your actual question, i think it would be good to get to the bottom of that. have you been sick recently or dehydrated or some other reason your supply may be temporarily down? could your period be returning?

even if your DD was voracious about wanting solids, for the first year the primary nutrition is BM (or FF) so you want to keep up a good supply!! good luck!
Old 10-07-2008, 02:16 PM   #4
Casie629
Registered Users
seller

It can also mean that she isn't hungry. When are you offering food? I find the most success about an hour after nursing. If he is too hungry then he would rather nurse, but if he has just finished nursing, then he isn't hungry enough to eat.
Casie629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
sheldensb
Registered Users
seller

Babies also need to taste foods an average of like 20 times before they show signs of "liking" a new food, so even though she may seem uninterested, she's being exposed to new tastes and textures which will help her develop her preferences for later. I'd just try a new food, stick to that a few days, and maybe go back to the avacado--like us adults, babies need to get used to tasting foods before we decide if we like them enough to eat them. Her only frame of reference until now is breastmilk, so introducing new foods slowly will allow her to get used to them and eventually show interest in them.
sheldensb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There's a couple of possibilities here.... She may not like avocado, she may not like being spoon fed, and she may just not be ready for solids at all. But, the moral of the story is that solids can wait. You don't need to rush it.

As for your supply, is she happy? Is she peeing and pooping enough? If so, your supply is fine. You're right around the point where a lot of moms see a dip in pumping output, but that's not indicative of having a supply problem.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #7
brookesmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by takasmom View Post
hey mama, our lo's are almost the same age!! (mine was 6 months on 9/22).

so i would say clamping your mouth shut and turning her head is a pretty clear sign that she is not interested. you can try reoffering the avocado, try another food, try altering the temperature and consistency to experiment with what she likes. or you can just wait another week or two and try again.

also, the food is really about exploration until at least a year, so its not really going to be replacing your dip in supply of BM. even though that wasn't your actual question, i think it would be good to get to the bottom of that. have you been sick recently or dehydrated or some other reason your supply may be temporarily down? could your period be returning?

even if your DD was voracious about wanting solids, for the first year the primary nutrition is BM (or FF) so you want to keep up a good supply!! good luck!
brookesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
lilysmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

also, has your af returned yet? If not, then it could be gearing up to do so and that is causing a temporary dip in suppply. It sounds like she may not be interested yet, and by not nursing you will keep diminishing your supply if you try and offer solids instead
Old 10-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #9
PixieAlly
Registered Users

I wasn't planning on lessening my nursing and feeding her solids...I was planning on just giving her a tablespoon or so 4-5 times a week to start but after the first spoon or finger full she clamps her mouth shut and doesn't even bring the food up to her mouth while playing with it (which is wierd since everything else goes directly into her mouth from her hands!). I tried banana and she didn't like that either. I just keep offering it every time I have it and if she doesn't want it, I don't force her. The only thing she likes besides breast milk is some maple flavored teething biscuits I got at Whole Foods LOL

Ally
PixieAlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:37 PM   #10
j_m_adams
Registered Users

My Mood:

When my older 3 were around that age (maybe a little older) I would let them "taste" or "lick" various things I was having, ie: apples, pears,bananas, cooked veggies, etc. They all liked "tasting" before they actually experienced the texture in their mouths. I'd just keep experimenting.