Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
babydirtybike
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cosleeping bed options?

Hi,
Ok, dh and I are very much planning to do the co sleeping thing with our first child and I am driving myself mad trying to come up with a "setup" that will work in our room.

Having the kid in our queen size bed is not an option. My dh takes up most of the bed and is constantly kicking and flailing around throughout the night (It's like he's making snow angels and doing kick boxing in his sleep ). We cannot fit a king size mattress into the house (nor can we afford that). The idea of a twin mattress butted up against ours is an idea, but our room is too small for that.

I have seen the arm's reach, pack and plays, cribs, bassinettes etc. and I just don't know which is a viable option. Does anyone just let their baby sleep on a crib mattress on the floor? Is that cruel and unsafe? Can you just take the side of a crib and bolt it to your own bed? The weight limits on co sleepers seem so low that they'd only last a couple of months for a large baby.

Any advice would be great.

thanks

Advertisement

DD Maria November 2/2010

New baby coming March 2013!
babydirtybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:36 PM   #2
Voltige
Registered Users
seller

Re: Cosleeping bed options?

We have an Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper- not the mini version. I believe it supports up to 30 pounds. That said, our 8 month old has never slept in it. What works for us, for better or worse, is to have him sleep with me in our queen bed and my DH sleeps in the guest room. We have our "private time" after DS goes to sleep. Not ideal maybe, but it gets everyone the most sleep, which is the most important thing anyway!
Voltige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
rawkstarwife
Registered Users

We used to push our convertible crib up to the bed like a "sidecar." Now our mattress is on the floor, and we have the crib mattress on the floor right next to it. It's about an inch and a half shorter than our bed, but DS has no trouble crawling over it to get into bed with us if he wants to - and he usually does.
rawkstarwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:01 PM   #4
ocfb16
Children will forget your presents. They will always remember your presence.
seller

We pushed our queen sized bed up against the wall. I would put her on the side next to the wall b/c my husband also moves a lot in his sleep.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:05 PM   #5
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I hope this doesn't sound nuts but it may be fine for you all to sleep together w/o another option like bolting the crib, etc. DH moved around a ton in his sleep & I was also a space hog. It's weird though, when our boys sleep with us, we know that they're there & can still sleep w/o harming them. It's sort of like knowing that the edge of the bed is there while you're sleeping - you know it's there even though you're not awake so you don't fall off.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:09 PM   #6
ocfb16
Children will forget your presents. They will always remember your presence.
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonMamma
I hope this doesn't sound nuts but it may be fine for you all to sleep together w/o another option like bolting the crib, etc. DH moved around a ton in his sleep & I was also a space hog. It's weird though, when our boys sleep with us, we know that they're there & can still sleep w/o harming them. It's sort of like knowing that the edge of the bed is there while you're sleeping - you know it's there even though you're not awake so you don't fall off.
I was so scared about sleeping with her in the beginning, but your body naturally knows not to roll on them. And my husband and I use to get upset about our bed being to little for the 2 of us....couldnt even tell a difference when she joined us. I also slept with her in the crick of my elbow, that way I knew that my husband would roll on my arm before he would her. Even though it never was an issue we were both subconsciously aware that she was there.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:14 PM   #7
toryandrew
Registered Users
seller

A mini Arm's Reach Co-sleeper takes up very little room. We sleep with: *no flaming -- it works for us* 2 adults (me & DH who is 270 and 6'3"), an infant-now 11 months old, a 3 year old, and 3 dogs all about 70 pounds each. The baby sleeps in the bed between the cosleeper (which makes an excellent bed guard) and me. He is totally protected by my body 100% of the time. I get a little sick of always sleeping on my right side but whatever. The toddler sleeps between me and DH and the dogs sleep at our feet under the covers. The come in and out via DH's side.

Never has the baby been stepped on, kicked, smooshed or anything. He is protected by my body & the co-sleeper. The dogs got with the program with DS1. We've never has any problems.

Your body will protect the baby from DH kicks. A mini co-sleeper takes up very little room overall.
toryandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:48 AM   #8
babydirtybike
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Girls,

Thanks so much for all the great advice. I guess the moral of the story is to try some things and see what works. I think I'll try the kid in the bed to start and go from there.

later
DD Maria November 2/2010

New baby coming March 2013!
babydirtybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:28 AM   #9
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

we had our crib as a sidecar although dd never ever slept in there...but it was nice b/c it let me have just a smidge more room (if she was in the middle) and also kept her from falling out if she was on that side.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:05 PM   #10
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

We bought the original Co-sleeper (not the mini) and we will use that in the begining. Once he is a bit bigger he will just sleep in the bed with me, dh and our soon to be 5 year old. We have a king now but when it was just the three of us we had a queen and we were fine. It is awesome that you want to cosleep! It is a wonderful thing.