Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
yummymommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
21 months - how do I stop?

My youngest is 21 months. My first I BF for 15.5 months, and quit when pregnant with #2. Dr. put the fear in me - and DD was just as happy with a cup of fridge milk. #2 - I BF for 12.5 months. I expected he was my last baby - and tried to feed longer, but DH thought it was becoming ridiculous to feed a toddler. I held on for a couple more weeks, but DS was really take it or leave it and wa only nursing 2x day for the last 3 months. This one - he LOVES his Mama milk - and nurses 7-18 times a day (I kid you not) I had him weaned down to 2-3 times in August by introducing fridge milk in a cup - but then we went on a vacation and all bets were off. Now he's on to me about the fridge milk - and only wants it if he can alternate sips with the real stuff.
I'm definitely ready to quit - but not even sure how to begin.
He says "no-no" when he wants mama milk, o when DH tries to put him down for a nap, or feed him something else - he yells "no-No-No-NO" so DH gets frustrated.

Does anyone have any ideas at all? I have loved every minute of my time BF'ing - so this is also a little emotional - but I'm ready!

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
BA Cloth Diapering
Registered Users
Formerly: jones_AndreaL

Re: 21 months - how do I stop?

i would like to hear some answers b/c i am ready to wean my 16 month-old! she climbs up to nurse all day long too, and needs to be nursed to sleep at each nap and bed (unless she falls asleep riding in the car.) my 3yo still asks to nurse too. sometimes i give in and let him, other times i tell him he is too big b/c that is what his daddy says.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:16 AM   #3
L&G'sMomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have no idea either...mine is nearing 10 months, lastnight I took a bath with her...OMG! She wouldn't even sit down, she kept climbing up me wanting to nurse! It was NOT fun! lol I think I am going to drop one nursing a week. Like maybe after her morning nap. Give her a sippy of formula. Then next week, drop after her afternoon nap...then I don't know...because she won't go to sleep without nursing! UGG...but it will only get harder! She doesn't mind a bottle, but to drink her milk out of a sippy...not sure if it will work

ISO: Trendy Maternity Clothes (Small) and newborn AIO's.
L&G'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

I highly suggest the book from the Le Leche League called How Weaning Happens. It really goes into depth about the different reasons for weaning and how to wean gently so that the little one doesn't end up traumatized.

For your sake though, you do not want to cut out anymore than one nursing session a week and you will also need to be prepared to substitute something in the place of nursing. You will also want to get your husband involved as well since you'll need him to help with distraction. That's been part of the reason I haven't so far. My husband wanted me to go until she was at least two and I had planned on cutting her feedings down until we got down to just one feeding at two years. It was more work than I wanted to do, in all honesty and now that we're moving out of the country, I don't dare try to push weaning (or anything really). So now we're at 33 months. For the most part, I plan to go child-led but thinking I would like to cut down a little and not do so much of the nursing "on demand".
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
yummymommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the advice - I'll have to look for the book. Never imagined it would be this difficult.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Yes.. I do have a suggestion.. I will have to find my old post and c&p. I will say that it was WORKING.. but *I* gave in because I felt very guilty about it.. However, things have improved with us because now he sleeps the whole night, and only nurses ONE TIME upon waking in the morning.. so at least it is progress in the right direction. He is 2yrs and 6 months. Ok.. brb to paste what my lc shared with me..
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Ok.. here is the link to it, I've asked a mod to move it in this section too..
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=564376
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm there to mama. Yesterday I was struggling with it. During nap time his beautiful blue eyes just gazed at me. How can I stop?!

He is a night nurser. I work full-time so that is our time together and on the weekends it's nurse on demand. I'm hoping my dh is ready for the night time weaning!
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:46 PM   #9
jazacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: how do I stop? Duct stuff

I am at 28 months and am down to only nursing at night (we cosleep at HUBBYS request~ works all day~) I would like my body back. I've been asking DS to take a sip of water then we'll nurse. Sometimes I have to pee so I give him the sippy cup. Sometimes he'll just nurse a little when I get back, or he'll cry and try and come get me when I go to pee (!) I think I need to get him in his own bed and then he'll sleep. Right ? RIGHT!?!?! ARGH! Last night I did something WRONG and my breast has a blush to it and HURTS like a bruise! Duct stuff maybe.. i'm working on it. Other than thrush we never had BFing problems, so this is new. I'm not engorged or 'lumpy' so what gives? Ideas?

Other ideas to stop...
~Offer substitute... chocolate laced milk, water, juice
~Bargain... "If you want to go to the park, we can't nurse now. Now where are your shoes."..( give substitute on way..)
"Lets eat some grapes then we'll nurse.."
~When they are doing it to DO something or get your attention... do the 100% focus thing and just don't make a huge deal of saying no. "No we're not going to nurse. Lets play blocks/color etc!" No need to embellish.They will just focus on it even more. If they have a fit, continue to offer time together/fluids.
jazacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:19 PM   #10
londyn's mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: how do I stop? Duct stuff

I found distraction worked, she loves cheese, yogurt and milk so I didn't feel bad about weaning. I think it definitely makes a difference to get in enough solids so that the needs to BF is decreased. At night I gave her the option of water or nothing and she preferred nothing most of the time. There is still a strong fascination with boobies but she has been weaned since 12mnths and she turns 2 in Jan. And I wish someone had warned me sooner there may be weight loss when they first wean, nothing to worry about.
londyn's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote