Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2006, 08:24 AM   #1
sunshinemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Talk to me about Food/Diet & Behavioral Problems

I'm starting to think that some of my ds's behavior might be from his diet. We eat fairly healthy but I know there are probably things we could improve or eleminate. I've read in passing some things about red & yellow dye but don't know much or anything regarding them. I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be a wheat or dairy issue, I've got a milk/cheese/carb loving kid.

what are some common foods with those dyes? Are there other additives I should be looking at?

Help me.

Advertisement

Last edited by sunshinemama; 10-29-2006 at 08:25 AM.
sunshinemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:40 AM   #2
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about Food/Diet & Behavioral Problems

We are a family that avoids, for the most part, un-natural foods. no artificial anything and we work hard to eat a wholefoods diet.

Tiffany's behavior goes through the roof in a negative way when she eats wheat. It's difficult but not impossible.

Foods can play a HUGE roll in how you feel and how your body works and that goes for everybody. It's simply a sensitivity for those who's reactions are negative behavior. I know that Tiffany is a much easier kid to deal with when she's avoided wheat.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:43 AM   #3
Luvmybabies
My two cuties :)
sitesupporter
seller

A wonderful website it www.feingold.org - I actually purchased their info a little over a month ago and it's done WONDERS for my 4yo.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:58 AM   #4
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmybabies View Post
A wonderful website it www.feingold.org - I actually purchased their info a little over a month ago and it's done WONDERS for my 4yo.
Wow! I just read Jonathans story. Amazing. Makes me wanna totally change our diet. We do eat a lot of natural, no preservatives, organic things but there are times when fast food is just so convienant. Riley doesnt/hasnt had any reaction like that though - but it can never hurt to eat healthier.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:04 AM   #5
Luvmybabies
My two cuties :)
sitesupporter
seller

We never really started giving Chloe anything that wasn't natural until after Corey was born - then we started with fruit snacks (full of dyes and artificial flavors) and lots of other pre-packaged snacks. The only pre-packaged thing she gets not are Just Tomatoes single serves.

It is truly amazing to me the difference in her, someone gave her a cupcake with blue frosting on it at school 2 weeks ago - she was a MESS for almost 3 days. That had me completely convinced.

The artificial flavors and such are found in soooo many things - medicines, toothpaste. We had to take a long look at anything she ingests, we didn't remove that much from her diet - fruit snacks and a couple other snacks - we switched to Organic Non-Fat Milk instead of regular non-fat (yes, its in there too!) and switched her toothpaste to Toms of Maine. Just those small changes made a world of difference.

Sorry to babble, I'm just so thrilled with the changes that we've seen!
Old 10-29-2006, 12:09 PM   #6
Quiverfillin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Food can make a huge difference in behavior!!! Jade has negative behaviors with alot of foods, especially grains and starches. She is on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet www.pecanbread.com It has shown the most benefit. I can actually have a conversation with her now...a year ago she screamed most of the time.

Just wanted to add that if your child only wants to eat dairy & starchy foods (like lots of bread & milk) it can be a sign that those foods are the source of the problem. In some kids, the body doesn't break them down fully and the undigested parts get into the blood and act like a drug (think cocaine). They become addicted to those foods, which is why they crave them.

Sorry for the long explanation. Hope it helps a bit.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:48 PM   #7
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

wow that is interesting
one mama was telling me that her son didnt speak , she started a gluten free diet and voila!! kid started talking. i honestly have thought about it to see if that could be the case but david is such a horrible picky eater (he eats just a handful of things) that he would starve
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:24 AM   #8
Quiverfillin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They won't starve for long. It may take a day or two where they really are upset but if you clear out all the "bad" food and only have "good"choices they will start to eat what is offered.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:35 PM   #9
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiverfillin View Post
They won't starve for long. It may take a day or two where they really are upset but if you clear out all the "bad" food and only have "good"choices they will start to eat what is offered.
really?? argh i dont know if i could see him not eat . he is soo tiny it does break my heart so i give him his faves ritz bitz for dinner if he doenst eat.
you see his bones he so skinny so i tend to cater to waht he will eat: pasta (which is whole wheat though), mac and cheese , mashed potatoes, hotdogs (i wish he liked the veggie dog but so i get him hebrew national which dont have too much yuckiness )
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:42 PM   #10
Quiverfillin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is skinny as a rail, but a day without food didn't kill her. I think she only protested through 1 or 2 meals, then she got hungry and started to eat at least some of what was offered. Kids aren't stupid, they won't go hungry for long. They're stubborn, but not stupid. And to me, it was a hardship worth enduring because of the payoff of better behavior, more talking, etc. I can't afford $70,000/year for behavioral therapy to treat her autism, but I can change the food she eats. It's what has worked for us.