Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2006, 09:28 AM   #1
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Should I just give up?

I'm so stressed about DD's weight that I can't even see straight. I have no one in my life who ebf'd their kids and DD isn't established with a ped. due to insurance issues so I'm relying on you ladies for some advice.

DD is 7 months old. She's been ebf'd up until this week when we started introducing solids. She was 10lbs 4oz at birth and when she went to the dr. last week for an ear infection she only weighed 15lbs 4oz. He didn't say anything about her weight, but this is the first time he's ever seen her so he doesn't have a clue how much she weighed at birth. She seems healthy enough. She started rolling over both ways at 3 months, she army crawls like a champ, she babbles, coo's, smiles, grabs toys, throws toys, etc etc. She also has 4 (almost 6) teeth and has been teething for what seems like an eternity.

All of that to say, her lack of weight gain concerns me. My mom thinks that she's just leveling out and will end up being a petite baby even though she was so big at birth. But I'm not convinced. Diapers that were way too small for her at 3 months fit fine now. The size 6-9 month clothing that should be fitting her is falling off but she's too long for the 3-6 month clothing. Her skull measurement is right on track and her length is right on track. Could it be that she's just going to end up being a skinny baby?

She's also fussy all the time when she's nursing lately but I can't tell if that's because of her ears, her teeth, or not enough milk.

Ugh. Thank you if you've read this far. I know that was just a bunch of rambling up there, but hopefully I gave enough info that someone can be of help to me.

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2006, 09:32 AM   #2
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should I just give up?

You know your baby best. If you think there is an issue than take the action you think is necessary, kwim?
Old 10-29-2006, 09:38 AM   #3
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

Maybe you could try supplementing with formula and see if she is more content after eating then when you are breastfeeding. If not than I would say you are doing great and she is probably just leveling off. HTH!
mama
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:40 AM   #4
Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
seller

My Mood:

My dd was ebf and at 7 months she actually LOST weight.. she became so active.. she was 17 lbs at 7 months.. and the doctors tried to tell me there was something wrong.. but there was not!!! I was the same way.. looking at my baby book now I was only 15 lbs 1 oz at 6.5 months.. and I stayed petite like that ( just like my dd) for a long time.. I am not 5 foot 9 and 150somthing pounds... not petite!! If she is happy other than teeth or ears there is nothing that formula is going to do for her more than what you are giving her! hang in there mama.. your doing great!!!
Old 10-29-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
seller

My Mood:

Oh.. and dd now.. is about 25 lbs and she is almost 3.. she is very healthy.. just petite!!!
Old 10-29-2006, 09:42 AM   #6
bronxmama
Registered Users

Hi,

I wuold advise you to get a LLL leader to speak to. They are great sources of support and advice.

My child started solids a 6 months and did not gain any weight at the 8 monht check up. this did not bother the ped, who said he was a lively baby, showing no signs of problem. I really thought it was the introduction of cereals, since he was getting less breast and the food seem to go through his system without beign digested. so from 8-10 months of age I went back to almost all breast, and the weight continued.

I would ask the ped about the overall weight gain and see what he/she says.

do you feed on demand? do you feed through the night? does he fall asleep wtih the drunk on milk look? does it come out of the side of his mouth?

really, hook up with LLL they are great.

HTH
bronxmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:44 AM   #7
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

I dunno. I know that babies all grow at different rates, but my DS was failure to thrive, 5 lbs 8 oz at birth, and he's at least 17 pounds now at nearly 7 months. A 5 lb weight gain in 7 months does not sound good to me.

And coming from someone who's had to supplement for the past 6 months, I want to reassure you that breastfeeding is not all or nothing. If it turns out that she does need some formula, that does not mean you have to stop bfing! Every bit of bm she's getting is less formula that she's getting.

How does her diaper output look? That's generally the best way to judge if she's getting enough or not. And of course you can always try to up your milk production...pump between feedings, increase your water, take fenugreek, drink mother's milk tea...there's a million things out there that you can try. You might need to supplement her some while you're trying these things, but as long as you nurse every time before you supplement, it shouldn't effect your supply. I've been supplementing for 6 months and DS is now off of formula.

Good luck in whatever you decide mama.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:46 AM   #8
bronxmama
Registered Users

one more thing... if you supplement with formula, you will lower your supply more the less they suck the lower the supply. the more the higher the supply.

If you are worry about supply consider 24-48 hous in bed breastfeeding on demand (advice from dr. sears)
bronxmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:54 AM   #9
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Add more solids to her diet. We did not feed dd solids until 6mo per peds reccomendation, but she ate a ton as soon as we started. My dd is skinny too, but she eats an enormous amount of food. I am looking at her chart and she weighed 16lbs at 6mo and that was 50th percentile, which is fine. You just want to establish what her normal range is and see if she can stay in that range. Even if her normal is 20th percentile, you will know that is where her body likes to be. You can sign up to plot her weight on the weight charts online, I will see if I can find a link.

Also with teething, she would go a couple of days without eating much, but then eat her weight in food the next day.

I know in New York state we have child healthcare up 19 years old sponsored by the state. Does TX have anything like that? Or is there any clinic in your area that can do a well baby visit? If nothing else the doctor will put your mind at ease, and if there is an issue you can get started on a solution.

I hate worry, it just eats us up. If you think she is thriving, she probably is, but if you can get her a check up, it might make you feel better.

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/growt...owthcharts.htm
http://www.babycenter.com/growthchart/
height is a very inaccutrate measuerment, until they can stand still on the big scale.\

Here is the link to that chart that can save the info for you:
http://www.mybirthcare.com/favorites...rowthchart.asp

Last edited by Timetodance; 10-29-2006 at 10:01 AM. Reason: added a link
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:12 AM   #10
halyled
Registered Users
seller

It doesn't really sound like she's failing to thrive. Babies who fail to thrive are usually not very energetic and listless because they aren't getting enough food to have the energy for development, and it sounds like her development is on track.

Are you getting letdowns when you feed her? (the most reliable way to know is a distinct change in baby's suck pattern rather than whether or not you can feel it). How many times a day is she nursing? Does she seem satisfied when she comes off the breast on her own, or does she want to stay on the breast constantly, as if she isn't getting any milk?

If you have a breast pump, I would try pumping some milk each day (in addition to nursing) and mix it in with her solids (or give it to her in a sippy cup while she's having a meal) to make sure she is getting that extra bit of nutrition. It may have the added benefit of upping your supply if you're concerned about it dwindling.

I don't know. It does seem like she should have doubled her weight by now, but she started out bigger than most babies, too. Try not to let the solids replace any nursing sessions...make sure and nurse her after she eats.

I second getting in touch with LLL if you can, and then maybe mention your concern to her doctor. Good luck!

ETA:

Just to add, I weaned my older DS to formula when he was about 9 months. I was working, it was getting harder to pump at work, and then I got sick and my doc recommended I not nurse while on the antibiotic and I didn't know enough to do my own research on it). He weaned very gradually, and he was just fine. Plus, like someone mentioned above, it's not all or nothing. You could add formula to her routine and still nurse (especially in the morning and evening). Try not to stress, because that CAN affect your milk supply (at least, it will affect how easily you let down when nursing).

Last edited by halyled; 10-29-2006 at 10:22 AM.
halyled is offline   Reply With Quote