Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2006, 12:23 PM   #11
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Re: Should I just give up?

do you feed on demand?
Yes
do you feed through the night?
yes
does she fall asleep wtih the drunk on milk look?
she used to, but not anymore
does it come out of the side of his mouth?
no

Are you getting letdowns when you feed her?
yes
How many times a day is she nursing?
I'm not sure. I feed on demand so it various from day to day
Does she seem satisfied when she comes off the breast on her own, or does she want to stay on the breast constantly, as if she isn't getting any milk?
She usually fusses and wants to be on the breast constantly

She is definitely very, very active and loves to army crawl and roll around on the floor and get into stuff. But, if I get anywhere near her (which is basically all the time) she immediately wants to nurse. I've never been able to get anything out when I pump so I've been mixing her homemade solids with organic formula. At church today a friend of mine said that when her DD went through this, her cardiologist suggested adding olive oil to her solids to get in some more fat. I think I might try that.

Here's another question for everyone:
When DD nurses she eats through the first let down but gets REALLY cranky waiting for the next let down. Usually she's not patient enough to wait for the second let down so I'm afraid she may not be getting the really good fatty milk. Could that be why she's not packing on the pounds?

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2006, 12:45 PM   #12
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

I think with how active she is already, she is probably just thinning out because of that. My son is almost 8 months old, and he only weighs 15 pounds 13 oz. However, he was only 5 pounds at birth (preemie) but still, my other kiddos that were born "term" weren't much bigger than that at the same age. Since that was the first time she had been weighed, she could very well have gained more, and has now lost some because of the crawling

I'd definately start introducing more solids in to her diet to see if that helps. If you don't feel you are producing enough for her, you can find a milk bank and get some donated breastmilk before going the formula route. The olive oil is a really good way to add "extra" calories, good fats. Avacados are great, too.

Don't give up nursing, even if you do decide to supplement with formula. Some breastmilk is better than none! Good Luck!
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:56 PM   #13
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leininger27 View Post
Maybe you could try supplementing with formula and see if she is more content after eating then when you are breastfeeding. If not than I would say you are doing great and she is probably just leveling off. HTH!
mama
Most babies will gulp down a bottle even after nursing because the milk comes so easily they can't stop the flow. This isn't an indicator of whether they are full enough from nursing or not. You can tell if they are getting enough milk by measuring the wet/poopy diapers per day. Even 1 bottle of formula too can disrupt the closed gut that a EBF baby has as forumla irritates the gut. www.kellymom.com has a really good article on that.

To the op: My daughter went through a phase where she fussed, squirmed, grunted and arched at the breast. Everyone told me maybe she's "hungry", etc. Well, she went through it just fine and came out the other end nursing just fine and happy and healthy. I think that it was a combo of teeth and developmental milestones.
I was only 19 pounds or so at 1 year, so its normal. My mom said I started slimming out at like 5 months too. My baby is a chunker, but I know some that are the same as your babe.

Have faith in the fact that you are providing the best nutritional source for your baby and that everything is fine Hugs to you.
ndunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:46 AM   #14
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

Rather than Olive Oil, You might want to try flax seed oil, or add ground flax seed meal to her foods.

Maia weighed 18 pounds at 6 months and then only 18 1/2 pounds at 1 year. She got active and really slimmed down. If she is active and ahppy she is most likely fine Also, I know they say if height is on track then slow weight gain is not worrisome. If there was a nutritional deficiency then she would be having problems in all areas.

If you feel that you must supplement I would suggest using a supplemental nursing system. However, adding flax seed oil or ground flax seed meal will bump up her fat intake and omega fatty acids
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:53 AM   #15
motherhubbard
Registered Users

I understand your concern. I have big babies too and so I kind of expect them to always be twice as big as other kids. My 1st dd weighed 19 lb when she was 19 mos old. My last ds weighs 29 lb at 19 mos. both were within normal limits.

At this point you may want to choose more food over formula. Avocado is very dense in nutrients, and protein is the building block for your body so some turkey may be good.

One more thing...my sister had a ftt baby and became so worried that she couldn't produce enough milk. Her dr. was so bad and constantly discouraged bf. Once she switched dr. and had encouragement that all changed and she had plenty of milk and a weight gaining baby. Watch your stress and diet. You have to take care of yourself to take care of baby!
Old 10-30-2006, 08:10 AM   #16
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

I definitely agree that any supplementing I do should be food, not formula. In fact, I will do whatever it takes to prevent a bottle from coming into the picture. However, I can NOT get her to eat "solids"!! I made her homemade oatmeal and mixed it with organic formula and olive oil. Nope. Homemade peas with organic formula and olive oil. Nope. Finally last night I got her to eat a few spoon fulls of bananas with formula and oil. So, I thought I had a winner, but this morning she refused them. UGH! How do I get the child to eat?!?!
Old 10-30-2006, 02:36 PM   #17
AKM
Registered Users

Can I ask why you add the formula and olive oil? I'm just curious....

You might just try different foods. It took what seemed like a pretty long time to me for DS to start taking solids regularly. We started around 5-6mo. and now at 9months he eats 3 solid meals a day along with mama's milk every 2 to 3 hours.

I think the first successful food I gave him was sweet potatoes that I had steamed and smashed myself. The peas and other foods I tried weren't very smooth and after I tried a few jarred baby foods with him (and he loved them) I started making mine similar to that consistency and he eats all kinds of smashed veggies/fruits now. I added in plain yogurt with bananas after a bad case of diarrhea and I think that's his favorite at the moment. The first time I gave him a taste of my banana he acted as if I was giving him poison, so it may just take getting used to.
AKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:55 PM   #18
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

Could be texture...some babies are turned off by certain textures...my DS is a pretty picky eater also. He would never touch homemade oatmeal and peas were out of the question! if i mixed peas with carrots he would eat them...so if she won't eat something, try mixing it with something she will eat. Just keep trying different foods! be patient and keep trying
Old 10-30-2006, 03:17 PM   #19
momx2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Imo....I think she's doing just fine and so you are you mama!! ...

My baby was almost 8 1/2 lbs at birth ... but by the time she made 1, she wasn't even close to 20 lbs. It happens because as the baby gets older, they become more active...such as crawling, walking, rolling over etc. All of this movement actually burns off the fat that they've accumulated earlier. It's really not a big deal unless she starts LOSING the weight and acts listless and lethargic all the time.

Usually, babies will start leveling off their weight instead of gaining by the the time they're crawling.

You're doing great mama keep it up!!
momx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:58 PM   #20
blissfullyblessed
Registered Users
Formerly: kerstynsmom
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read all the responses, but reading your post and responses to some - this sounds exactly like us when DD was that age! I just looked to see how much she weighed, and at 8 1/2 months she was 14 2.5 ounces. She was nursing ALL THE TIME!!! About every 30 mins to an hour - and waking 8-11 times a night. I tried everything to increase my supply other than meds. The only thing that would've helped me was meds, and I know that now looking back. I decided to start supplementing w/formula at this point bc of her weight, and her dr. was concerned. I started w/a bottle at her 1st waking, and slowly she began to refuse me. I know it's bc she wasn't getting full from me. I'm not any help to you, but just wanted to tell you I know how you feel! It is so frustrating - especially when your child is fussy on top of all of it. I'm so sorry your having to go through this, and I hope you are able to figure out what is going on. I miss it more than anything!! I must say that once I did start supplementing everything began to change. Sleeping got better, and fussiness went away.