Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
yummymummy07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Would you be concerned?

Hi mamas! I'm beginning to wonder if I should be concerned about DS's speech development, or lack there of I guess I should say. He's 15.5 months old and babbles a lot, but doesn't say hardly any real words. He doesn't say Daddy, and rarely says Mama (by rarely, I mean less than once a day). Occasionally, he will say the first sounds for the words juice and cat.

At 12 months, he was asking for DeeDee (Daddy) during the day and said Mama frequently. He was also starting to say bebe(baby), keee(kitty/cat), daw(dog), and KeeKee(his cousin Kayla). After about a month and a half, he just stopped, but continued babbling.

He knows several signs, but doesn't use them all on a regular basis. He knows up, eat, milk, fish, fan, bath, cat, dog, bird, yes, no, and probably a couple others I'm not remembering right now. He communicates very well through pointing and signing (both real and ones he makes up), but his verbal speech is virtually non-existant.

DS is a very smart little boy. He has an extremely long attention span and has been able to focus on the same activity for half an hour or longer since 5-6 months. We can sit and read books for up to an hour. His receptive language is fabulous and he understands the vast majority of what we say. He knows and can identify tons of things by pointing when asked and easily follows 2, even 3 part directions. He was early reaching milestones like stacking blocks, using the shape sorter, etc. His problem solving skills and cognitive abilities are advanced for his age.

I can't figure out how he can be so smart and still not be talking at all! Should I be worried? Should I call and discuss it with his doctor? He has a check-up at the end of the month. Should I wait until then or call sooner? Even DH is starting to question DS's lack of verbal communication.

Sorry for the rambling, but as you can see, I'm a bit concerned. I know that if there is an issue with his speech that needs to be addressed, than the earlier the better. Thanks in advance for all your ideas, opinions, and suggestions!

Advertisement

yummymummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
dogmom327
Registered Users
seller

Re: Would you be concerned?

I wouldn't be concerned at all. DS is in a very similar boat and (exactly the same age) and just in the last week finally learned a new word. I was talking to my aunt the other day and she was saying that my boy cousins were both that way and then suddenly when they were almost two they started talking in full sentences. My friend had a similar experience with her nephew. He pretty much just babbled and then one day said "hey mom, look at that funny looking bird over there." I think some kids just spend lots of time absorbing and then suddenly become vocal.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
yummymummy07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
I wouldn't be concerned at all. DS is in a very similar boat and (exactly the same age) and just in the last week finally learned a new word. I was talking to my aunt the other day and she was saying that my boy cousins were both that way and then suddenly when they were almost two they started talking in full sentences. My friend had a similar experience with her nephew. He pretty much just babbled and then one day said "hey mom, look at that funny looking bird over there." I think some kids just spend lots of time absorbing and then suddenly become vocal.
I was wondering if that might be the case. He spends lots of time observing and when he starts trying something new, he picks it up so fast because he's been so carefully watching others do it. Thanks for the reassuring words mama!

yummymummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I don't think it is something to call about, but I can't see where it would hurt anything to mention it at his check-up later this month.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mine just started saying more words and singing the Barney I love you song , sounds like he's on track.

At 15 months he said nothing (mama) and just started to walk. He has a check up today....he's right on track!
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
mama2logan&evan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry. He is pointing and following directions. Those are big things. My oldest has autism and when I started being concerned for his speech I was asked if he pointed at items or if he could show me what he wanted. He couldn't do either. He is just starting to at almost 3 years old. Fifteen months is still very young and boys typically do develop their speech later. Go with your gut. Mommy's intuition is rarely wrong.