Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2008, 11:27 PM   #11
Heather81
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Failure to thrive

I forgot about the SNS! I have one in my kitchen. I'll take it out and use that during the day when I nurse her.

I plan on pumping without a doubt. I actually started again tonight. I only got 2/3 of a ounce total, but im sure if I keep puping every 2 hours that the amount i get out will increase. I'd love to 4oz or more, out at each session. Gotta work at it.

I also started taking fenugreek and more milk plus tonight. While my supply is fine, I wanna boost it drastically so I can get a lot out. If there's a way for me to suppliment with my own milk, then im gonna do that. Whatever it takes right?

Sometimes we nurse skin to sking and other times she's dressed. Regardless, she falls asleep. There are times where she nurses nonstop, EFFECTIVELY, but that's the exceptions rather then the rule.

Ok so the plan is to use the sns while nursing her. When she's done, I will break out the pump and let it get as much out as it can, each time.

BTW.. my letdown happens easily. There's not usually a delay. When she latches on my milk lets down right away. A lot of the time i let down before I can even pick her up.

When I wake up in the morning, before I even open my eyes, my milk starts pouring out, and spilling onto my bed. Today for instance, not only did that happen but an hour later I randomly let down again and started spraying all over the place from my left side. It shot out 3" and kept on going for about 15 seconds.

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #12
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

Hang in there, mama! Your little one is blessed to have such a devoted mommy! I'm so glad to hear that your ped seems to going to such lengths for you as well!! I've never heard of a Rx for breastmilk; that's great!

From hearing what you've gone through with this, you're one strong mama. Lots of hugs and prayers to you and your precious Haylie!!!
RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:36 PM   #13
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry mama! I really don't have any advice though

My lo would fall asleep while bfing then I would put her down only to have her wake up hungry because she was still hungry. In any case I EC which has helped a lot because I put her on the potty and she will eat a while then take a break to pee or poo then eat some more. I still have times when she falls asleep only to wake up 5-10 minutes later wanting to eat again - but they are getting less frequent.

Hope things get better!
Old 10-11-2008, 07:06 AM   #14
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

The SNS is a lifesaver for me!! That way baby is still on the breast!
And now you have to do what is best for that precious baby.

Like I had some wonderful mamas tell me...it's not an all or nothing thing!
Do what you have to now and in the future I bet you CAN reach the goal of EBF!!

Please keep us posted on how she is doing!!
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:14 AM   #15
Mockeh
Registered Users

If you use the SNS, then use the smallest tubes so that she still has to work for the milk. Have you tried nursing her on the same side for a couple of feedings before switching to the other side? That will help her get more hindmilk. You say you are letting down easily - are you also letting down a few times per feed? If you are, then there is the possibility of overactive/forceful letdown which is known to cause weight problems because all the baby gets is foremilk!

I have lots of personal experience in FTT, feel free to PM me!
Old 10-11-2008, 07:20 AM   #16
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Make sure you offer the breast you finished on so she gets the hindmilk. Hang in there itll get easier!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #17
p3nickel6
Registered Users

I'm so sorry mama! You've been working so hard and doing such a great job! I agree with trying to pump off some foremilk. DD doesn't have a weight gain issue, but she is much gassier and has those icky green poos if I don't pump off some foremilk before I feed her. Plus she is less satisfied and wants to eat more often... pumping first allows her to feel better and sleep better... then I pump after I feed her to keep my supply up, and add that fatty hindmilk to the foremilk I pumped before the feeding and voila... a suitable bottle for later or to freeze.

If you do need to supplement with something else for now, I still think you're doing such a fantastic job. So many hugs to you and the LO!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #18
LoveMyIrishBabies
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm so sorry for your troubles! I did notice one thing about your post. You said you are having no supply issues and that you letdown really easily, but you aren't even getting an ounce per pumping session. Have you tried a different pump? I couldn't get a drop from the Medela PIS, but my Ameda Purely Yours does the trick every time. Also, make sure the cup part fits your breast. Most of them are too big for my little boobies! Good luck!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #19
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

When I thought I had a supply problem I pumped every 2 hours after each feeding, and I was only getting a little after each nursing, and now I can get 30 ex oz a day and I am donating to another mama and baby in need...you can build up a HUGE supply if you pump with a double electric for 10 minutes after each nursing...I even did it in the middle of the night. I also took Fenugreek 3 pills 3x's a day, and drink lots of water.
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #20
Heather81
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you all so much for the advice and support. I SOOO NEED IT RIGHT NOW!

Last night I walked away after posting. I filled the SNS, latched her on and gave it a shot. It worked at first but after a minute or so the SNS stopped releasing milk. The valve was opened and it was primed so I ahve no idea why it wouldnt release anymore. She sucked a while longer but no swallowing after that.

I've had my milk let down more then once during a feeding but only 2 times in her short life. Both times was when she was constantly sucking and swallowing for 15 minutes straight, so I letdown again and she ate for another 5 minutes. That's when she was super full (for once) and milk even poured out of her mouth and all over my breast.

Normally it's only one letdown though. Right at the beginning.

I used a Medela Lactina Select. These are the ones you get at the hospital. I was fortunate enough to get mine second hand for dirt cheap, and got new tubing and flanges from WIC at no cost.

The more I pump the more I get out. So I just have to make sure to pump every 2 hours no matter what.

BTW.. the saying "don't cry over spilled milk" is BS! Last night i pumped, stood up to put it in the fridge and dropped it! It poured out everywhere. I lost all my 1/16 of an ounce. DH immediatly jumped up and hugged me and said "I am sooo sorry hunny. I know how hard that must be for you". And of course I shed a few tears over it. So yeah, that saying is BS!