Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2008, 12:21 PM   #41
Heather81
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Failure to thrive

Dang it.. Haylie got a batch latch and now I have a water blister looking thing on my nipple. It really hurts. She also wasn't able to empty my breast because she wasn't latched right.

I tried manually expressing but it's not working. Im full, sore, cold (hope it's not mastitis AGAIN) and blistered.

Why am I having so many problems? I want this to work so badly but everything... EVERYTHING, is working against us.

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2008, 12:37 PM   #42
bellydancer1973
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather81 View Post
Dang it.. Haylie got a batch latch and now I have a water blister looking thing on my nipple. It really hurts. She also wasn't able to empty my breast because she wasn't latched right.

I tried manually expressing but it's not working. Im full, sore, cold (hope it's not mastitis AGAIN) and blistered.

Why am I having so many problems? I want this to work so badly but everything... EVERYTHING, is working against us.
Ouch! You're doing a fantastic job. I saw your earlier post about Haylie eating so much. That's great! Everyone here has offered lots of good advice, so I only have one little thing to add that might help- are you certain that the flanges on your pump are the right size for you? If you're feeling as full and leaking everywhere, you should be getting more than 1/16 of an ounce. If I'm way off, ignore me. I'm rooting for you and baby girl.

IHA:3 Mutts still available. If you don't like my price, make me an offer!
bellydancer1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:01 PM   #43
Heather81
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellydancer1973 View Post
Ouch! You're doing a fantastic job. I saw your earlier post about Haylie eating so much. That's great! Everyone here has offered lots of good advice, so I only have one little thing to add that might help- are you certain that the flanges on your pump are the right size for you? If you're feeling as full and leaking everywhere, you should be getting more than 1/16 of an ounce. If I'm way off, ignore me. I'm rooting for you and baby girl.
To tell you the truth I have no idea. It comes with the standard flange that attaches to the pump. Then it comes with a smaller size that fits into the larger flange. I've tried it both ways.

At first I was getting about 1 1/2oz to 2 1/2oz per session but since I stopped pumping (was told it was what was causing mastits as it was upping an already great supply). Since starting back up I dont get much out. Im basically starting from nothing again.

How do you get sized for something like that?

Thank you for the support. At this particular moment im feeling pretty low. Half of me is saying "just give up already. stop being a masochist".. and the other half of me is saying "are you nuts? you want this so badly. you'll regret it forever".
Old 10-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #44
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
To tell you the truth I have no idea. It comes with the standard flange that attaches to the pump. Then it comes with a smaller size that fits into the larger flange. I've tried it both ways.

At first I was getting about 1 1/2oz to 2 1/2oz per session but since I stopped pumping (was told it was what was causing mastits as it was upping an already great supply). Since starting back up I dont get much out. Im basically starting from nothing again.

How do you get sized for something like that?

Thank you for the support. At this particular moment im feeling pretty low. Half of me is saying "just give up already. stop being a masochist".. and the other half of me is saying "are you nuts? you want this so badly. you'll regret it forever".

The flange (or breastshield) size is based on your nipple size NOT your breast size. 24mm is the "standard" medium size. You want some space for your nipples to move into the tube area, but not TOO much. And if your nipples are rubbing the sizes of the tube area, it is too small. Any LC or LLL leader should be able to help you size it, and Medela has an article on their website about it too. From what I've read, having the wrong size can dramatically affect your pumping output.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #45
hobbsandbean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know you're getting tons of help already, but just wanted to offer some and two little bits of advice from my experiences.

For the cracked, sore, blistered nipples (oh, I know the pain) - I had this with my first two, really badly with my son. This time around (1 week pp) I haven't had nearly the problems, and the only things I can tell are different is that I stopped using lanolin, which I would have guessed would make it worse, but it has seemed to allow them to toughen up a little or something. Also, I did figure out that for my right side, I just can't nurse cradle hold every time - I have to alternate between football and cradle or it gets insanely sore.

For the sleepy baby - my first was like that too. Instantly night night once she was on. It lasted for the first two months or so. I got it working by only nursing for about 2 or 3 minutes at a time, then taking her off, gently tilting her from side to side, taking her clothes off, changing a diaper, putting cool wet washcloths on her (it was summer, so it wasn't like she was freezing or anything), running my fingernail on the bottoms of her feet, etc. etc., and then putting her back on. Anything that was kind of annoying to her.

I hope that helps a little - with my son I went through those times where it just hurt so much, I kept getting mastitis - it was awful. Hang in there! We made it to a year (our goal) even after the rough start.
baby keelah . 3 months, finalizing adoption now!
hobbsandbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #46
Heather81
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you so much for the breast shield info. My right nipple and lef nipple are different so I may need 2 different sizes. If I can find a LC that will see me face to face I will DEFINATELY discuss this with them.

I'll do that...moving her side to side, changing her, etc. Whatever it takes..

DH and I have been discussing this and the conclusion we came to is this. Since the main objective is to chub her up right now, we have to give her formula (or whatever breastmilk we have). DH or DD can give that to her while i pump like a lunatic to build my supply and hopefully make enough that she can survive on my milk alone.

I will be putting her to the breast as often as she would like to encourage her to nurse properly. Even if she doesn't get full from it, it's better then nothing.

In the end the goal is to have her back on the breast with the occasionaly bottle of breastmilk in an emergency situation.

The SNS is still an option as well but doing it at every feeding just isn't working for us. Im exhausted and getting more down on myself. Plus im so emotionally drained after that, that me pumping is a nightmare. It's CONSANT boob drama. Im not giving myself enough time to fill the breasts back up when I do that.

I know this is asking a lot, but if you all could continue to push me and encourage me, it would mean the world to me. I REALLY need the support right now. Most people in my life are telling me to give in. I need the opposite of that!
Old 10-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #47
mamakori
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have gone through low supply issues with both of my kids. It definitely sounds like you need to supplement. First rule is always feed the baby. Let yourself grieve the loss of the nursing experience you had in mind. But you don't have to lose the nursing experience completely. Breastfeeding doesn't have to be all or nothing. Do what it takes to get through this tough time. Protect your supply. Feed your baby.

FWIW, I had to nurse and supplement the whole time with my first and for the first 6 weeks with my second, before finally EBF. With my first I made the decision to quit 3 times and was never able to follow through. My mantra that got me through was "I might regret quitting, but I know I won't regret sticking it out. By the time I had my second, quitting was never a question.

Good luck. You're doing great, mama!
Old 10-13-2008, 05:25 PM   #48
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been following your story closely on here and I'm so sad to hear about the poor weight gain. I just wanted to tell you that I truly, truly believe that you can do this! I had so many struggles and ended up exclusively pumping for the first 3.5mos of my son's life. I had 3 LCs tell me to stop and give up because my son would never "get it." I'd like to hunt them all down and show them the 19mo old who can't get enough boob!
I firmly believe that just about any woman can bf if she has the determination and strength and support to conquer the obstacles and get past the hurdles. You are doing great! Keep up the good work and please keep us updated.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #49
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=mamakori;5070766] First rule is always feed the baby. Breastfeeding doesn't have to be all or nothing. Do what it takes to get through this tough time. Protect your supply. Feed your baby.QUOTE]

I am in tears reading your posts Mama. I *know* how hard it is, I know you want to give up but please PLEASE remember how awesome you are doing. You are not a masochist and your struggles are not in vain.

You are doing what you think is best for your child and that is what matters. Your little girl is lucky to have a mama that is so strong and brave.

After 3 months, I still have to explain myself constantly when I say that I am breastfeeding and then pull out a bottle of EBM but after a very rocky start filled with many of the same things (jaundice, weight loss, lazy nursing, mastitis and thrush) my guy is 3 mos, 15 lbs and consistently in the 75th percentile for weight gain.

You can do this. You are doing this.

kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:59 PM   #50
Mikomum
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Thank you all so much for the advice and support. I SOOO NEED IT RIGHT NOW!

Last night I walked away after posting. I filled the SNS, latched her on and gave it a shot. It worked at first but after a minute or so the SNS stopped releasing milk. The valve was opened and it was primed so I ahve no idea why it wouldnt release anymore. She sucked a while longer but no swallowing after that.

I've had my milk let down more then once during a feeding but only 2 times in her short life. Both times was when she was constantly sucking and swallowing for 15 minutes straight, so I letdown again and she ate for another 5 minutes. That's when she was super full (for once) and milk even poured out of her mouth and all over my breast.

Normally it's only one letdown though. Right at the beginning.

I used a Medela Lactina Select. These are the ones you get at the hospital. I was fortunate enough to get mine second hand for dirt cheap, and got new tubing and flanges from WIC at no cost.

The more I pump the more I get out. So I just have to make sure to pump every 2 hours no matter what.

BTW.. the saying "don't cry over spilled milk" is BS! Last night i pumped, stood up to put it in the fridge and dropped it! It poured out everywhere. I lost all my 1/16 of an ounce. DH immediatly jumped up and hugged me and said "I am sooo sorry hunny. I know how hard that must be for you". And of course I shed a few tears over it. So yeah, that saying is BS!
Oh that is a good man that you have there! I'm so sorry that you're struggling, I really hope things turn around for you.
Mikomum is offline   Reply With Quote