Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2008, 11:07 PM   #1
taralee2001
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question Is this just how it's going to be??

So DD has decided that during the day she only likes the right boob. At night she'll nurse from either. I have plenty of milk so she's getting enough even if she only nurses from the one side all day, but of course it means that I'm pumping on the other side to relieve fullness and keep it producing milk.

Anyone else have a baby that decided that they only liked one boob? Is it a phase that she'll get over? Am I just destined to pump one side during the day and build up a freezer stash?

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
Emmaleigh3699
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is this just how it's going to be??

Shae went through a few weeks where she was all about lefty and poor righty was getting pretty painful I just kept trying her on righty first and eventually she caved and decided it was ok to have boobie buffet options. In those few weeks of protest I built up a little freezer stash that helped out later though
Emmaleigh3699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
wesevanmom
Doo Doo a Da DA its all.....
seller

My Mood:

Oh my DS does that, he always wants to go to the left first but I push him to alternate the starting breast so that the supply is even. He needs to feed from both so he really can't get away with just one side.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

Sometimes they just prefer one side! I've been lopsided for months although we feed evenly from both sides. My side that is bigger just has more milk. I don't pump though. I just figure it'll even out eventually.
GEM Cloth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
ChristyHC
Registered Users
seller

Sometimes a child can just prefer one side based on being more comfortable that way or the flow from that side or some other preference. It is also possible for them to prefer one side because of an ear infection that makes it uncomfortable to lean one way. Just something to keep an eye on.
ChristyHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD 1 and 2 both preferred the left.... For a while, DD2 would fall asleep if I put her on the right -- only to magically wake up once I moved her! I just kept offering it, especially when she was really hungry, and after a week or so of protesting, she now accepts it willingly. GL!
Old 10-11-2008, 10:05 PM   #7
tirsalope
Registered Users

My Mood:

Try a different hold on the side she does not like to nurse from. She may not like to turn her head that way. I had this problem with my DS and I would have to do the "football" hold on one side so he could turn his head the same way each feeding. Eventually he got use to the regular way on both sides.
tirsalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
taralee2001
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I have tried different holds and that doesn't work. I'm pretty sure it's not an ear infection because she'll lay on either side to nurse at night (we cosleep) with no problems. And I don't have the heart to try and force her to nurse from the "off" side because it's not like she just turns her head away or closes her mouth, she screams like I'm trying to kill her. I'm just at a loss as to why she's started doing this.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:48 AM   #9
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yeah, Natalie usually prefers the left side as well. The right has always been my less um lucrative side, if you will. She has always been this way. I think a lot of it was nursing on the right side was more difficult for me so it just never got as much of a supply as the left side which was easier for me to nurse on. And when I pumped I definitely got more from the left than the right so I guess all around, the left side just had more in it. Natalie's 33 months now and I haven't ended up more lopsided than I was before and oddly enough, the right breast is still the bigger one. Strange.

They are usually less picky at night but you may also see more of the annoying to us behavior to get the milk going on the side that isn't nursed on as much like "radio dialing" aka fiddling with the other nipple while they're on the side that isn't preferred. The big thing seems to be that the flow just doesn't come down fast enough so maybe if possible find a way to get a little bit of a let down on that side and maybe express a little milk out so that she can see that yes, there is milk there. Not sure if that would work but it wouldn't hurt to try.

SOMETIMES, a preference for one side means something is wrong with that side so it may be something to check out too but don't panic because it could just as easily be nothing other than baby's preference for a faster flowing booby.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:38 AM   #10
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:

Kimberlyn prefers my left side over my right. When I pump, I get twice as much out of my left as I do from the right. But I have been concerned because, like you, she will nurse fine at night from either side but only wants the left during the day. I've got her now to where she nurses first thing in the morning on BOTH sides, then she does 2 feedings on the left, then a feeding on the right and back to the left and then 2 feedings on the left, and so on. Its working out well because she gets at least 2-3 feedings from the right side during the day, eventhough I know she doesn't get much out. So after she's done w/that side, I put her on the left to fill her up. I think alot of it is MY preference too, I'm more comfortable w/her on the left side.
Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15 IT'S A GIRL!!!
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote