Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
uniquieheart
Registered Users

My Mood:
Smile Mommies of Preemies?

Any other Mothers of preemie babies around here?
My son was born at 31wks..He has VSD & a cronic lung disorder...

ive never met anyone whos child has the same thing as mine though.... im wondering if its uncommon? most kids have PDAs when born..but..some get the vsd holes if born early but ive never met any

im in chicago, IL

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mommies of Preemies?

We have a preemie, but fortunately her little heart closed in a few days after birth. I just wanted to give you some hugs and say if you ever need to talk feel free to pm.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 5 year-old was a 28 weeker. He had a brain bleed and has hydrocephalus because of it. He has had a number of surgeries, but luckily we've been surgery free for over 2 years now.

His heart closed, but it took a bit and he had a few echo's to track it. He still has a murmer, but they say we don't need to worry about it. He's never had any breathing issues, other than the normal preemie stuff (like on a vent, then cpap, then nasal canula).

Its funny how different preemies have different issues, KWIM? I know how hard it is, my son was on a monitor for 8 months and hospitalized for two, its no fun

Welcome to the board!

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
BrandiMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My 3yr old was a 26w 5d preemie. He was born with a PDA, had surgery in April to close it and a follow-up next month to clear him forever Other than that we were very blessed and have no other "side effects" of his prematurity.
BrandiMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
meghann8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have had 2 preemies, Hannah was a 31 weeker, and Logan a 34 weeker. It's funny how different every preemie can be. Logan actually had more issues than Hannah did. And to top it off, my older two that were full term, both ended up having birth defects and medical issues way worse than anything my preemies went through.
meghann8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
snelson924
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my daughter is a 30 weeker. i went into labor the first time at 26 wks. she is now 11 months old and VERY healthy. her pedi is floored everytime we go in for a well check at how well she's doing. she's 17th %tile for weight and 25%tile for height.

snelson924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
Lovey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So sorry that you have the stress of a preemie! It's a tough road!!!

VSD's are actually the most common heart defect in newborns. Luckily it is also easily repairable if needed, and some do close on their own. VSD's happen during development in the first few weeks, they aren't linked to prematurity. PDA's are considered "a complication of prematurity", and are not considered defects. We had a foster baby who was born with a VSD, hers luckily closed on it's own and didn't affect her growth.

Hope your little one grows and grows. The chronic lung disease is difficult too, sometimes VSD's can play into that, but it is also a complication prematurity.

Hang in there mama!!!
Wife to C (1998) , Mommy to DD#1 (2004), DD#2 (2008) & DD#3 (2010)
Lovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
uniquieheart
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchienurse View Post
We have a preemie, but fortunately her little heart closed in a few days after birth. I just wanted to give you some hugs and say if you ever need to talk feel free to pm.
Ohh, im so glad to hear that!!, no baby should have to deal with problems like this..its just unfair to them. they are children.. Thanks! hugs back*
Old 10-11-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
zukeypur
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd was born at 31 weeks, although I didn't meet her until she was 6 months. She did have a murmur, but it was gone by the time I got her. Other than extremely poor eyesight, she has no other problems attributable to being a preemie. And her eyes improve every year! I'll keep you and your baby in my thoughts and prayers, and welcome to DS! This is a great place to find the support and information that you'll need in the months and years to come.

Married to my hunka-hunka burnin' love, Jake,
zukeypur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #10
uniquieheart
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovey View Post
So sorry that you have the stress of a preemie! It's a tough road!!!

VSD's are actually the most common heart defect in newborns. Luckily it is also easily repairable if needed, and some do close on their own. VSD's happen during development in the first few weeks, they aren't linked to prematurity. PDA's are considered "a complication of prematurity", and are not considered defects. We had a foster baby who was born with a VSD, hers luckily closed on it's own and didn't affect her growth.

Hope your little one grows and grows. The chronic lung disease is difficult too, sometimes VSD's can play into that, but it is also a complication prematurity.

Hang in there mama!!!
Yeah, we thought he was born with one VSD, the nicu never told us anything it was a horrible time.. they refused to give us any information and when we wanted him to be moved to another hospital they said because we had public aid it wouldnt be covered and he couldnt be moved. it would cost 3,000 to transfer him so we just had to wait it out. They didnt even check his meds when we left and he was over dosed on his medication. I wasnt even told what his doses were when we left. hey said " labels are on the boxes" turned out walgreens labeled his medication wrong for one of his meds. Pooor kid could have on top of everything else had life long seizures. however thank god...It all turned out okay. When he went into heart failure last month on his 6ms b-day...they waited and then we did surgery on the 12th. they had no idea, but they found about 8 holes. because he has so many they couldnt fix them
when he was in the nicu his hole got larger. they only found one. It got larger not smaller. i dont know how common that is though.

i hope he gets better though.he deserves too. hes such a sweet baby. all his nurses even though they truly sucked. loved him over the ther babies lol he never cried. he waited his turn :P