Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #11
uniquieheart
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Mommies of Preemies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
My dd was born at 31 weeks, although I didn't meet her until she was 6 months. She did have a murmur, but it was gone by the time I got her. Other than extremely poor eyesight, she has no other problems attributable to being a preemie. And her eyes improve every year! I'll keep you and your baby in my thoughts and prayers, and welcome to DS! This is a great place to find the support and information that you'll need in the months and years to come.

thanks! hehe we just had duncans eyes checked a few days ago too...they said his eyes were perfect that made me so happy.

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #12
uniquieheart
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
My 5 year-old was a 28 weeker. He had a brain bleed and has hydrocephalus because of it. He has had a number of surgeries, but luckily we've been surgery free for over 2 years now.

His heart closed, but it took a bit and he had a few echo's to track it. He still has a murmer, but they say we don't need to worry about it. He's never had any breathing issues, other than the normal preemie stuff (like on a vent, then cpap, then nasal canula).

Its funny how different preemies have different issues, KWIM? I know how hard it is, my son was on a monitor for 8 months and hospitalized for two, its no fun

Welcome to the board!
duncan came home on nothing..but medication. which was nice however i think he should have been on monitors. He went into heart failure last month i had no idea, i thought he just had a cold. they told me nothing when he was discharged to look for. it was like leaving with a bag on your head and a baby. dunk was on Oxygen for 21/2 months, feeding tube up untill a week before he came home.

btw what does KWIM mean?
Old 10-11-2008, 08:07 PM   #13
chicky
In the Land Of Wool
seller

My Mood:

welcome to the board! i am the mama of 3 preemies all with their own different sets of problems at they were all born at 35 weeks.

My oldest daughter is 5 and was born with a pda and a vsd and had them both surgically fixed at age 2. my youngest daughter has a pda but relatively small with significant murmur and she is 3 we may have to end up having hers closed at some point, my son had a pda but his closed on its own
Old 10-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #14
TyAndCheyMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have two preemies- My 2yr old DS was born at 30weeks- he has not had any Major issues- spent 43days in the NICU. He does have Autism.
My 1yr old DD was born at 28 weeks. She had grade 4 hemorages in her brain, and now has Cerebral Palsy. She is also feed by tube (gbutton) only due to asperation. Luckly neither of mine had any heart issues!!
Ironically where we live- it seems like 2 in 10 women have a preemie. Not usually as early as mine- but when my DD was in the NICU there were two other couples that lived within 20 minutes of us (the NICU was in a hospital an hour and a half away).
TyAndCheyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:29 PM   #15
amyk0202
Registered Users

All of mine were preemies. I just go into labor early for no apparent reason. My dd was 33 weeks, ds1 was 31 weeks, ds2 32 weeks, & ds3 I made it to 35 weeks. We have been very fortunate. My dd was not delayed at all & had no effects. My ds1 was delayed speech & fine motor skills but caught up with therapy. My ds2 was delayed motor skills & has sensory integration dysfunction & obsessive compulsive disorder (& I think high functioning aspergers but no dx). Who knows if this has any connection to being preemie but he was always extremely high needs. My ds3 was not delayed has had no effects.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #16
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My first 2 were preemies, but not really early.. DS was a 35 weeker and DD was a 34 weeker. We're fortunate in that neither had any significant issues.

Im currently expecting #3 and Im 28 weeks 3 days and have been on hospital bedrest fighting preterm labor for nearly 4 weeks now (admitted at 24w5d). We're just thankful for every day this little guy stays put, but know that its only a matter of time before the magnesium and terbutaline stop working and he decides to come. So while I havent dealt with any major preemie issues yet, I may be faced with them in the very near future.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:46 PM   #17
amyk0202
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SativaStarr View Post
My first 2 were preemies, but not really early.. DS was a 35 weeker and DD was a 34 weeker. We're fortunate in that neither had any significant issues.

Im currently expecting #3 and Im 28 weeks 3 days and have been on hospital bedrest fighting preterm labor for nearly 4 weeks now (admitted at 24w5d). We're just thankful for every day this little guy stays put, but know that its only a matter of time before the magnesium and terbutaline stop working and he decides to come. So while I havent dealt with any major preemie issues yet, I may be faced with them in the very near future.
Bedrest stinks & for me it never worked. Last time I was pg they gave me weekly shots of something (I can't remember what--it started with a "p") because it was supposed to delay the start of labor. Maybe it worked because I made it to 35 weeks. I started having contractions around 28 weeks last time but each time they stopped on their own. My dr's never had to give me magnesium or terbutaline until the end but they never slowed me down once I started contracting regularly. Last time I refused treatment. They make me so sick (non-stop vomiting & total loss of muscle control) & don't even work. My ds3 ended up only having to stay in the nicu for 9 days. He was retaining fluid (very swollen) & they were worried about his kidneys & his respirations were too fast & very shallow (fluid in his lungs). I think it had more to do with the c-section than with him being preemie. He was breech. I hope you make if for several more weeks mama.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:36 AM   #18
BrandiMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I got the progesterone shot you are talking about with my last pregnancy. It's called "p17". I'm not sure if it worked or if I wouldn't have gone into labor anyway since they have no clue what caused me to go into labor so early last time.
BrandiMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #19
indysteffanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i have 3

32 weeker, 31 weeker and my newest is a 29 weeker.

Steffanie: momma to Brennan(13) Dillon (7) with cf , Ashlyn (6) , TJ (4) and Anderson(1) , born at 29 weeks
indysteffanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #20
zukeypur
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquieheart View Post
btw what does KWIM mean?
Know what I mean. It took me forever to figure out what people were saying when I first came here.

Married to my hunka-hunka burnin' love, Jake,
zukeypur is offline   Reply With Quote