Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-07-2008, 06:46 AM   #11
EcoTykesMama
Registered Users

Re: My detergent exploration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbie View Post
Have you tried Fuzzi Bunz new detergent?
Fuzzibunz has a new detergent? No, I had no idea. What magic wonders can it do? I've honestly never needed to strip my fbs and I've had them for years...

Will update with results of washing soda next week. Will likely be doing soapnuts next.

Advertisement

Read about my diapering detergent explorations here!
EcoTykesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:55 AM   #12
Mom24Babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used soap nuts on dipes yesterday...they all got clean and had a nice fresh scent!

Sorry to hijack!
I'm a consultant for The All Natural Face! Enter Consultant # 2107
Mom24Babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:15 AM   #13
EcoTykesMama
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom24Babes View Post
I used soap nuts on dipes yesterday...they all got clean and had a nice fresh scent!

Sorry to hijack!
I don't consider it hijacking! I've used the soapnuts before, just don't know if they worked better than the other stuff because I wasn't 100% happy with the results. They're next on my to try (re-try list).

My laundry room is getting ridiculous - so many detergents... it's absurd.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #14
RebeccaMomof3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am curious as to what you discover....but I use a top loader so not sure if this 100% applies to me.
RebeccaMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #15
RebeccaMomof3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hmm anyone know where I can get some soapnuts for cheap to try them? Like enough to make some liquid to test? PM me
RebeccaMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #16
poppan
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoTykesMama View Post
I had someone suggest throwing in a towel with the diapers to weigh it down so that the machine would use more water.

Has anyone tried this? Does it work?
The machine would use more water if you threw in a towel, BUT the towel would soak up all that extra water so I think you'd be back where you started.

Diapers themselves soak up a lot of water, which makes them heavier, so I would suggest dumping in some water with the dipes instead. Wet dipes weigh more, which would trick the machine into thinking it has a larger load and using more water (since most FLers adjust water level automatically according to the weight of the load).

What I do to get my machine to use more water (in addition to wetting the dipes) is, I use the delicates cycle since I noticed that uses more water than all the other cycles on my FL. It's been working really well for me. I select the heavy soil option to force it into a longer wash cycle and I am able to select "hot" as the wash temp.

I think you have to solve the water component because no matter how good your detergent is and using the right amount and all that, if it's washing in putrid water either because there's not enough water or because there's so much pee in the water (or both), there's no way the detergent can do its job. If you aren't already doing a pre-soak/rinse/spin (no detergent, literally just trying to get the pee out so the wash cycle can wash), IMHO that is something that can help a lot, particularly in your situation with the diapers sitting for a long time before wash day. (I am a cubicle dwelling mom too BTW!)

Also -- if you are washing a LOT of dipes, I wonder if you need to split it into more like 4 loads. I also have two in dipes and I think the maximum capacity my FL washer could handle and still get them clean is 1.5 - 2 days' worth. Even with wetting the dipes etc to get a higher water level, I believe there is a maximum water level the washer will fill the drum with -- at some point you will hit that weight and then any extra diapers you throw in will just make the ratio of water to diapers worse.
poppan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:09 AM   #17
EcoTykesMama
Registered Users

Re: Diaper stink more about the water - My detergent exploration

Washing Soda

I spent a month using washing soda. At first I thought, hey this is great. NO stink, everything is working fine. Except eventually the problems did build up and by the end of the second week, I was desperately in search of a solution that did not involve me changing detergents before the end of the month.

In the end, I changed my wash routine. Previously, I was running two washes per diaper load. Now, I run one with an extra rinse, except I add 1-3 pots of water to the front loader (about 3-5 U.S. gallons) and I find it makes a huge difference. There were a lot of suds the first time I did this, now it's more reasonable.

In terms of comparing this detergent to all the others I've had, I would say washing soda (in soft water at least) works just as well as Country Save. The stink issues built up in the same time frame and needed about as much water to get out (if you are VERY careful with the Country Save as it's really easy to add too much to the load). I think if you had to choose between the two, I would go with the washing soda as it tends to be cheaper.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #18
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaMomof3 View Post
hmm anyone know where I can get some soapnuts for cheap to try them? Like enough to make some liquid to test? PM me
you can find a 50 g trail size with free ship for cheap at my store www.morethanclothdiapers.com
Old 11-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #19
samilyn1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: More water = less stink ... My detergent exploration

Alright, So I tried adding water throught the detergent door of my duet, and it was an aweful mess and I couldn't get very much in. So when do you add the water?
Old 11-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #20
mrjsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: More water = less stink ... My detergent exploration

Sorry for my two cents....I am interested in your results as well...
I add extra water to my FL with every wash and rinse. I put all the dipes in close the door, turn on the cycle I want, once the water starts into the washer I open up the detergent drawer and stick the water hose which is attached to the laundry tub spout (right next to the washer) (I could just fill a bucket instead I guess but I'm lazy) into the drawer to add water. I actually fill the drum about 3/4 full of water. I would be careful though my door is locked shut some don't lock once a cycle is started and the door could open which would end up in a mess.

I agree more water is for sure less stink. Since I've been adding water I've used many diff detergents, Tide, CC, some Canadian eco friendly names and have been stink free since. I also use TTO and GSE to my rinse load which is first. I have 2 in dipes so I wash every day AND only put in 12 or so dipes per load. I tried using delicate cycle but found I was getting stains. good luck mamas

Last edited by mrjsmom; 11-20-2008 at 06:18 PM.
mrjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote