Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2008, 05:21 AM   #21
EcoTykesMama
Registered Users

Re: More water = less stink ... My detergent exploration

That is basically what I do too!

I added the water in the detergent dispenser tray that pulls out. I is a bit of a mess, I have to juggle the pot carefully or it gets everywhere. If you had a long-nosed water pot, I think that would really be the best way to do it. It never occurred to me to add it at the start. I usually try to wait until the machine has added it's own water (about 5 minutes) and I add enough until it looks to be the same amount as you'd see in the soak cycle.

I wish I had a hose. That might be a good investment. Sometimes, I add water I've boiled on the stove if the stink is really bad and I want it to be hotter. Does anyone have one of the washers with the diaper setting on it?

... and anyone with more suggestions are always welcome.

Advertisement

Read about my diapering detergent explorations here!
EcoTykesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #22
hms1221
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have a related experiment, beginning this morning. Maybe we can all work together. (Not trying to hijack, but I got on to start a thread inquiring about this & there you were!)
I had some inserts in a soak cycle before washing, to get out some pee. Since my laundry is in the cellar, I'm usually down long enough to start, then when it's done, but I went down to retrieve a dryer load & saw SUDS. I hadn't added any detergent, but it looked like I had added too much already. So when it was done I ran a Drain/Spin cycle, then a Sanitary wash with detergent. Usually I run Rinse/Spin cycles (looks like just wet clothes tumbling w/ no extra water) until I can't smell the detergent. This time I'm using the Soak cycle, since I can actually see water & suds splashing, alternating with Drain/Spin cycle, until there are no bubbles.
I'm on Soak#3, still very bubbly.
Ran a wash cycle with vinegar instead of detergent. Now spinning out sudsy soak #5. Is it possible that our town water is soapy?

Last edited by hms1221; 11-21-2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: added info
hms1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:11 PM   #23
kitkatxyz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sorry if this is a hijack, but do your FLs really keep the extra water?? I've been having horrible stink issues since we got our FL a month ago, and kept reading on here about more water. The delicate cycle definitely uses the most, but has a shorter wash time and doesn't do hot water. So I thought I'd start it on the normal cycle for hot, then switch to delicate for the higher water, then back for the cycle length. ANY extra water in there from what the machine thinks it needs, and it drains it out before continuing. I'll have to try adding some water next, I suppose. I already do a low spin on my prewash so everything is wet & heavy to get as much water as possible.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:31 AM   #24
hms1221
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't think they keep extra water. And I don't think throwing them in wet changes the end amount of water. I think it adds water until it runs off, so 5 lbs of inserts/prefolds would end up with more water than 5 lbs of pockets/covers, but no extra sloshing.
I have a new theory of front loaders. I can't get them to rinse. If I run a "soak" cycle, there's enough water to slosh, and it's very sudsy after repeated "soak" then "spin" cycles. I think the water always enters through the detergent dispenser. Maybe there's detergent reaidue in there? Maybe I should start always adding the detergent with the clothes so that line stays rinsed?
Old 11-24-2008, 06:09 PM   #25
EcoTykesMama
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hms1221 View Post
I have a related experiment, beginning this morning. Maybe we can all work together. (Not trying to hijack, but I got on to start a thread inquiring about this & there you were!)
I had some inserts in a soak cycle before washing, to get out some pee. Since my laundry is in the cellar, I'm usually down long enough to start, then when it's done, but I went down to retrieve a dryer load & saw SUDS.
Ran a wash cycle with vinegar instead of detergent. Now spinning out sudsy soak #5. Is it possible that our town water is soapy?
I don't know how much detergent you use generally, but if you use the recommended amount on your normal clothes wash, it can take three full washes without adding any detergent to completely clean out the soap from that first wash. I learned this from my allergist (much to my horror). So generally, use a lot less than the recommended amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatxyz View Post
Sorry if this is a hijack, but do your FLs really keep the extra water?? I've been having horrible stink issues since we got our FL a month ago, and kept reading on here about more water. The delicate cycle definitely uses the most, but has a shorter wash time and doesn't do hot water. So I thought I'd start it on the normal cycle for hot, then switch to delicate for the higher water, then back for the cycle length. ANY extra water in there from what the machine thinks it needs, and it drains it out before continuing. I'll have to try adding some water next, I suppose. I already do a low spin on my prewash so everything is wet & heavy to get as much water as possible.
My FL won't hold the extra water with a "normal" load setting for too long as it replaces water every 5-10 minutes, but it will hold the water in the "heavy" or "whites" wash setting for a bit longer. A FL is constantly replacing the water in it anyway, so you really have to the extra water in as the load is starting up. I've never seen the water sit in there longer than 15 minutes before it drains it away - which is why I usually add about two pots worth. I find even that little amount for that length of time still helps a lot!

Having a wet load does impact the amount of water added as the water to load calculation is done by weight.

HTH!

Old 11-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #26
EcoTykesMama
Registered Users

Started soap nuts with the dipes this week. I leave them soaking in water for at least 30 minutes, but they can be left to sit in water the day before (as I'm always forgetting to go back).

I forgot how much I love the smell of these! And I'm super curious in how they stack up. I would also love to know how other people's detergent explorations are going and I don't care if you introduce other topics.

If you have another thread, add it to this one as I don't always have time to do a proper search. I'd love to read what you're going through!

Old 11-25-2008, 12:00 AM   #27
charisma3458
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I hope the soap nuts work out for you. I love using soap nuts.
/ /
charisma3458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:29 AM   #28
luna13
Registered Users

Re: My detergent exploration

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoTykesMama View Post
Nature Clean - powdered laundry detergent

I had high hopes for this detergent, partially for the reason that I think we all would like to be able to support home-made product. But this one DOES not win with my diapers and my situation in my books.

For starters, I had a really hard time figuring out what amount of detergent I should put in. There were no clear directions for front loaders on the box. I started off with one tablespoon (tbsp) and that was far too much. Then I moved to two teaspoons (tsp) and then just one. One tablespoon cleaned the dipes, but the detergent was just impossible to remove from both the prefolds and the diapers. It was extremely frustrating for me to have to rewash everything in a third wash and it happened to many times for words.

When I reduced the detergent to 1 tsp, the diapers just weren't coming out clean at all. A lot of them actually still mildly smelled right out of both wash cycles, so in they would go for a third. Right now, especially since I just finished up testing Nature Clean last week, I don't even want to look at the box. Everyweek there were serious problems and ds2 developed an on-going rash that I just couldn't get rid of at all.

It works okay for clothes but I will never use this on my dipes again. It was horrible!!

I wonder if part of the reason it performed so badly for me was because this detergent was never really designed specifically for front loaders? Any thoughts?

I have the same issue with this product!
luna13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:20 AM   #29
EcoTykesMama
Registered Users

Re: My detergent exploration

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna13 View Post
I have the same issue with this product!
Thank you for confirming that I"m not crazy. I've heard some raves for Nature Clean for dipes, but I'm wondering if they were ppl with TLs... I still dislike it....

I think I need to adjust my load size with the soapnuts. *sigh* I know top loaders are wasteful, but doing the dipes used to be so easy...

Old 11-26-2008, 08:27 AM   #30
mayamason
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm anxious to hear how the soap nuts test goes. I have wanted to try them, but I can't get them locally. I need someone else's scientific justification that they *might* work for us before I buy yet another laundry detergent (and have to pay shipping on top of that!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoTykesMama View Post
Started soap nuts with the dipes this week. I leave them soaking in water for at least 30 minutes, but they can be left to sit in water the day before (as I'm always forgetting to go back).
You leave the nuts soaking for 30 minutes? Or the diapers? And are you boiling them down to use the liquid, or using them in the bag? Thanks!
mayamason is offline   Reply With Quote