Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #51
luna13
Registered Users

Re: Not a fan of soap nuts ... My detergent exploration...

I can't wait to hear what you think of Allens. I just bought a couple of the sample size liquid to try. I'm having such a hard time finding something that doesn't take 5 extra rises to get the suds out (I have a fl) and doesn't give my daughter a red bum.

Advertisement

luna13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:02 AM   #52
EcoTykesMama
Registered Users

Re: Not a fan of soap nuts ... My detergent exploration...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkplander View Post
Oh great I just got some in a trade and was hoping this would be the solution for my laundry routine. We are having a hard time too. I'm in the Ottawa area also mama . I wish there was more available in the area. I have very hard water though so maybe they will work diff for us. But so far ALL F&C, Tide F&C cause bad stink.

Has anyone heard of Amaze by Sunlight. Saw it next to the Washing Soda. It says right on the back how to use it with CD to get out stains. Just wondering if that would help.
Interesting, I've never heard of Amaze, if I have the time, maybe I'll add it to the list. Do you have a FL too? I used to use just basic NN laundry soap with ds1's dipes when we had a TL and I never even heard or experienced any of the laundry problems I have now.

I find there is a hard-core contingent of soapnut people here on ds and they are in lurve with them. I also don't understand their comments about good vs bad soapnuts, as insofar as I'm aware they have not been genetically modified to produce a greater or lesser amount of saponin. Now, there may be more than one variety of soap nut... but if there was, the differences would be widely advertized. I found pure washing soda performed better and its at least something that can be made from North American ingredients, not shipped from half way around the world.

I hope Allen's will work. I wasn't originally going to try it, its the most expensive detergent I've ever bought...

Read about my diapering detergent explorations here!
EcoTykesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #53
EcoTykesMama
Registered Users

Allen's review

Allen's Liquid Detergent

As with all the other detergents I have tested, it took a bit of time to find the sweet spot with Allen's. I actually started then stopped as I was still trying to clear the recurring issues that I'd gotten through testing the soapnuts.

Allen's is one of the most expensive eco-detergents sold on the market and I would definitely recommend it for washing diapers. I find Allen's is a high sudsing detergent and you only really a small amount, I found that using 1/3 of a teaspoon was enough for my diapers to come clean (little to no ammonia stink). You can imagine how long a bottle would last using such a small amount at a time. This is with extra water added to the FL and with an extra rinse at the end. It also seems to do the best job at stain removing of all the detergents I have tried thus far (but it won't take out all the stains). The good news is that if you use too much in your wash, it washes out fairly quickly with two subsequent washes.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #54
EcoTykesMama
Registered Users

Re: Norwex review is in... My detergent exploration... ALL DONE! (:

Norwex

Everyone whom I've spoken to has sung the praises of Norwex, so when I got some for free from my MIL, I decided to add it to my detergent testing list. It's supposed to be highly recommended for diapers and the recommended dosage for FLs is 1/2 tsp. Norwex is sold by a Norwegian company specializing in "green" cleaning alternatives. All their product must be ordered on-line or via a distributor. Furthermore, they don't publish a MSDS because the formula belongs to another company, but it is available upon request.

Well. I tried 1/2 tsp, and the detergent never fully rinsed itself from my diapers. We got HUGE ammonia stink every single time and nothing, not even putting baking soda and vinegar soaks seemed to help in the slightest. When I decided to reduce the amount of detergent, to see if that would solve the issue, the diapers didn't clean thoroughly enough. Therefore, I'm not recommending this for diaper use.