Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
trulyprecious
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question What actually disinfects and kills bacteria?

Okay, I keep reading so many threads about how hot water, detergent, and the like do nothing to actually disinfect and kill bacteria so what do we have to ACTUALLY DO (and how often) to ensure that our beloved diaper stashes are safe for use as time passes?

Someone please lay out a generic schedule of some sort for all of us to follow or use as a guideline in figuring out our own routine.
(ex. how often do you use bleach, TTO, GSO, sun or other? Please state quantities and amount of time if you soak CDs?)

TIA

My disinfecting routine is.............

Advertisement

trulyprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
shreck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What actually disinfects and kills bacteria?

I add a little splash of bleach along with Tide in every load and wash in super hot water. Everything comes out nice and clean. No stains, stink or ammonia here.
shreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
4HisGlory
Registered Users
Formerly: 2&1ontheway
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreck View Post
I add a little splash of bleach along with Tide in every load and wash in super hot water. Everything comes out nice and clean. No stains, stink or ammonia here.
same here
Old 10-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use Bac-Out on the morning diaper and on all the poop diapers. Then I add a splash to the cold pre-wash (no detergent). Before using Bac-Out I used Borax. It's 100% natual, and not harmful on skin. But the Bac-Out smells SOOOO good!

God bless,
Michelle

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use bac out as well. We just put a few squirts in the cold rinse and we do a soak about once a month.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
SarahOxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreck View Post
Do you put the bleach straight in the water or in the bleach release spot? My washer is in the basement so I can't stand there and wait for it to fill up to put the bleach in the water....
Old 10-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #7
shreck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahOxley View Post
Do you put the bleach straight in the water or in the bleach release spot? My washer is in the basement so I can't stand there and wait for it to fill up to put the bleach in the water....

I put it in the bleach dispenser. I used to use Bac-Out, but my dd got rashy from it and I had to quit.
shreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
trulyprecious
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I never used bleached with laundry. Can bleach not be added to the machine along with the detergent as the water begins to fill up the basin? Is it a rule of thumb to add bleach through that side cup hole only?
trulyprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
messy mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just started using Bac-out. I have a spray bottle w/ a solution of half water & half Bac-out. I do a quick spray on the dipe after I put it in the pail. I also add a squirt, full strength, to my cold pre-wash. Before I start the hot wash, my diapers don't even smell dirty. I then wash them in hot w/ my regular detergent.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:35 PM   #10
adensmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hmmmm....good question!

I normally don't do anything extra unless we begin to have stink problems. In that case, I know bacteria are probably beginning to brew and I add 14 cup of bleach to the wash. Rinse really well afterwards. I use Tide on a regular basis, and normally don't have to resort to the bleach often (maybe once every 6 months or so). The one exception is microfiber inserts that I use in my pockets. I do a bleach and water soak on those once a month. They tend to harbor stink terribly.

We've recently been battling a yeast infection, and I've used 10 drops of GSE to every load until the yeast is gone. I didn't want to use bleach at every load on my dipes.