Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
svenjafour
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
5 month old doesn't want to eat before bedtime (dinner)

My 5 month old son is a sweetheart, a great sleeper, and overall happy baby. Recently, he has started refusing his bedtime bottle. He gets an afternoon meal of 1 jar of 1st stage baby food around 3:30 p.m. and about 5 oz of formula with that. His bedtime bottle has been around 6:30 p.m., but for almost a week now, he has refused to eat his dinner bottle. We have started to introduce solids a little over a week ago and everything seems to be going great. He eats a small jar every day in the afternoon, but no more than that. I wonder if his refusing the bottle at bedtime has something to do with the introduction of solids? His overall calorie intake has decreased, too. In addition to not wanting to eat, he has started to wake up again at night, seemingly hungry. Has anybody experience anything similar to this?

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
meghann8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 5 month old doesn't want to eat before bedtime (dinner)

How much formula is he getting? If solids are causing him to not get enough formula, you may need to stop them.
meghann8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
kristy29
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe you should feed him the solids earlier in the day. I am pretty certain he is waking because he IS hungry, he just isn't hungry at 6:30 because it's less than 2 hours since he has solids and a bottle. Maybe try feeding him the solids for breakfast or around noon at the latest, and then see if he starts taking his bottle again.

You may also want to quit the solids for now all together since the recommendation is to wait until they are 6 months old.
kristy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
svenjafour
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's a good idea about giving him the solids at noon rather than in the afternoon. I will try that. As for his total intake of formula, he is getting 7 oz for breakfast, 7 oz for mid-morning snack, 7 oz for lunch, 5 oz in the afternoon with 1 jar of 1st stage baby food, and 7 oz for dinner (which he hasn't been eating recently). He's a big boy for his age (22 lbs), so he's not starving. I do want to make sure that he gets all his nutritional needs met. The reason why we started him on solids was that he showed interest in solid food at 2 or 3 months. He held his head up really steadily at 3 months and we started giving him solids a couple of weeks ago. He seems to really love the solids and does really well with it. He may really be too full from the jar food in the afternoon when I try to give him his bedtime bottle...
Old 10-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
wildeyes
Tummy Kisses Diapers
seller

My Mood:

at his age, if he is getting 24-32 oz of formula a day, i think its fine. sounds like he is just getting ready to drop a feeding. dd2 did that about that age, and started taking more (by an ounce or 2) in her other bottles. she just in the past week or so dropped her lunchtime bottle, but shes 11 mo old. def try feeding him earlier in the day, if you want him to keep that 5oz bottle.
Officially ERF!!!
wildeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
svenjafour
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I might try to stretch the time between feedings from 3 to 4 hours - maybe that will make a difference... thanks for all the advice. No luck again this evening - still didn't want to eat dinner, but ate well during the day.