Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
? for mamas who have tried castor oil

I am cleaning my breast pump right now and will be trying that first but if it doesnt work my mw gave me a "recipe" for a castor oil, ice cream and oj smoothie to try. Just curious as to others experiences with castor oil.

did it work?
what happened after you drank it (cramps, diahrea (sp?), etc...) how bad was that?

any other experiences as well. tia

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
North Dakota Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Jennieh***
seller

My Mood:
Re: ? for mamas who have tried castor oil

Eeeik. I tried it with my first pregnancy and it was so gross I couldn't get it down. So then I mixed it in a big milkshake. I probably had it way too diluted to work. Anyways it did nothing for me, except a little bit of diarrhea.
I know people who swear by it, though!
Wife/BFF to Leif - Mommy to Thor born 09.26.07 , Maycee born 10.25.08, and Dax born 08.01.2010... a sweet-as-pie homebirth! Baby #4 due 08.09.12!
I blog about my life with three wee ones!
North Dakota Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

nothing for me except lots of camps and some BAD diarrhea!!! Would NEVER do it again.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
Sarahb44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did it under my midwifes supervision w/#1 (amongst other things as we were naturally attempting induction for possible medical issues)
I had it in OJ and it wasn't that bad to me. I went poo and then had the runs off and on for about 6hrs.
BTW the induction did work!

Sarahb44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
Ember
Registered
seller

My Mood:

It's an old wives tale, it'll just make you sick. Doctors now recommend that you NEVER use it to induce yourself. Can you imagine taking it, getting diarrhea, and then just happening to go into labor a couple hours later? Yuck!
Old 10-14-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
tusheez
Registered
seller

My Mood:

eeeewwww but my dr said no walk walk walk
Old 10-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
5babyz4me
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember View Post
It's an old wives tale, it'll just make you sick. Doctors now recommend that you NEVER use it to induce yourself. Can you imagine taking it, getting diarrhea, and then just happening to go into labor a couple hours later? Yuck!
Actually it does work IF the body is ready to go into labor. It works by causing the bowels to move which in turn stimulates the uterus to start contracting. That is part of the reason many women have a serious BM right before they start labor. That is part of what starts it off. But if your cervix is ripe and ready to go, it should work. It's not something I would do again without the supervision of my MW (which I did last time as well.) And there is a small risk that baby can pass meconium (mine did but I think I took too much.) It doesn't taste very good but the recipe your MW gave you sounds really good. I took mine with Root Beer and guzzled it. It took about 5 hours for things to kick in. I did have a fairly loose BM but no cramping. It could be different for everyone though. It's definitely better than the artificial hormones they give you in the hospital to start labor. Talk about a shock to the body. I will take the loose bowels over Pit any day. I think the important things is to just take it and and then rest. When you do start to have the BM just relax and allow your body to do what it needs to do. In all reality, you would be doing some of this right before your body started labor anyway. Most prelabor symptoms include a bowel cleansing. God Bless.

wife to Chris (13 years)
mom of Jenny(10), Josh(8), Ally(7), Andrew(4), Josiah(2), Ashley (1), Baby Bean EDD May 2010
5babyz4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #8
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh dont do it...its so nasty....ugh just thinking about it i can remember the taste...(excuse me while i go puke) It made me so sick with my ds (he is 6) all it did was put me in the bathroom for about 12 hours!
Old 10-14-2008, 01:21 PM   #9
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the replies...the good and the bad

Anyone remember how much castor oil they drank? My mw said to use 2oz.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #10
kelseyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't remember how much I drank. Maybe it was 2 oz. It actually didn't taste like I thought it would. I tasted like I was drinking chapstick or something. It is just really thick oil...and it's a weird sensation to drink thick oil. It takes awhile to get down your throat. All I did was plug my nose, swallow it as fast as I could, and downed a big glass of oj. It really wasn't as bad as I expected. Now later that night....ugh...not fun. Pretty much emptied everything out of my stomach. It didn't feel great.

As for how effective it was...I am not sure. I was already five days overdue when I drank it and the next morning I finally started loosing my plug. The day after I got my show and the day after that was labor. So, it seemed like it started the process along, but it may have just been my time because I delivered my baby 8 days past her due date. I don't think that she could have stayed in much longer.
kelseyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote