Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2008, 03:03 PM   #11
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ? for mamas who have tried castor oil

Thanks for sharing. good to know it may not be an instant thing and I may just start seeing more signs of labor to come...well after my long stay in the bathroom that is But I am thinking the emptying of my bowels wont be as bad as pitocin which is what I will get on monday if labor doesnt start before that. I am hoping a relaxing bath and then using my breast pump will do the trick. I will be trying that one in a bit. Thanks again everyone.

more stories are welcome if anyone wants to share. I am a bit more worried about bad cramping than the actual diahrea (sp?). anyone have extremely bad cramps after drinking the castor oil?

Oh and anyone remember how long after drinking you had to run to the bathroom? I am sure this varies but just wondering how close to stay to the toilet after my "smoothie"

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2008, 03:48 PM   #12
5babyz4me
Registered Users

i remember taking 2 doses of it. I had to start at 9am with half of what I took and then again at 11am. Maybe that's way I don't remember it being so bad.

wife to Chris (13 years)
mom of Jenny(10), Josh(8), Ally(7), Andrew(4), Josiah(2), Ashley (1), Baby Bean EDD May 2010
5babyz4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #13
TofuScramble
Registered Users
Formerly: DesertMomma

My Mood:

I've always wondered about Castor Oil. I've never done it, but have considered it in past pregnancies. If I were to go way overdue with this baby, I would probably try it before having pitocin again.
I've seen two women on a Baby Story try it, one had GREAT results- like 8 hours later her baby was born! The other wasn't too happy with her experience, didn't help much. I guess it really does just depend on if your body is ready or not.
TofuScramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #14
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tried it w/ #3 because he was almost due and my MW said I could try it since I was going to be induced if it didn't work. I had already lost my mucous plug and was having TONS of contrx. I drank it at my friend's house (it was a 2oz bottle I think, really small) and I chased it with Odwalla tangerine juice. Contrx started up pretty quickly so we walked around the block for an hour and they just kept getting worse. I had to stop and hold on to something during a contrx so I was SURE this was gonna work!! We got back to my friend's house and I had a major contrx and PUKED all over her bushes and everything stopped. I was induced a week later with Cytotec and it was a super easy delivery! Maybe the CO helped!?
Old 10-14-2008, 05:59 PM   #15
Us4&AngelCorey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OH gosh it is so disgusting it made me gag, brought on boughts of poops but after that some real nice contractions.

due January 26
Us4&AngelCorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #16
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

I am not sure if it works or not- but here is my experience!

I tried it with my 3rd, after my due date came and went, b/c my 1st was 10 days overdue, my 2nd was 14 days overdue and induced, and I had the same Dr. the 3rd go round that induced me with #2.

I took 2 doses a few hours apart. I pooped a lot. It was unpleasant. I think 2-3 days later I went into labor. #3 was born only 7 days past EDD, so my earliest yet. He was also the biggest.

So, who knows? I personally would not try it unless you are under pressure to induce or something like that.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:05 PM   #17
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Oh, my baby did pass a small amount of meconium, but it did not present a problem- do not know if the CO has anything to do with it, but he was the only one of the 3 I didn't get to snuggle after birth
Old 10-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #18
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't try it - I heard that it also makes it more likely that the baby has a bowel movement before they are born.
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #19
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieAnn0413 View Post
Thanks for sharing. good to know it may not be an instant thing and I may just start seeing more signs of labor to come...well after my long stay in the bathroom that is But I am thinking the emptying of my bowels wont be as bad as pitocin which is what I will get on monday if labor doesnt start before that. I am hoping a relaxing bath and then using my breast pump will do the trick. I will be trying that one in a bit. Thanks again everyone.

more stories are welcome if anyone wants to share. I am a bit more worried about bad cramping than the actual diahrea (sp?). anyone have extremely bad cramps after drinking the castor oil?

Oh and anyone remember how long after drinking you had to run to the bathroom? I am sure this varies but just wondering how close to stay to the toilet after my "smoothie"
Try to avoid induction. I had 1 with my 2nd and it was ok. He was 14 days overdue, and the Dr. bullied me into it. Ironically, my earliest and biggest baby, came at 7 days past EDD and has meconium in the water- the stuff they told they induced to prevent

I feel for you. If you do get induced, ask if they can turn the pit off if your labor starts rolling- they did it for me, and my labor slowed for a couple hours, then picked back up. It was good though b/c once I was off the pit I could walk some.
In your situtation, I would give the CO a try
Old 10-14-2008, 06:19 PM   #20
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone. I tried my breast pump and nothing. I may try a little more before bed and hope it does something otherwise I plan to attempt the CO in the morning. I hope it isn't as bad as I have heard mixed with the ice cream and oj.