Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-13-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Ack! *family rant/vent*

I love my mom, but her ideas about bfing are driving me nuts.
I took my ds (19mos) for a visit this weekend, and the few times he wanted to nurse I had to deal with her huffing and puffing and rolling her eyes. She doesn't really say much except "why don't you just give him real milk?" but the insinuation in the body language and eye rolling is that she thinks it's disgusting that I'm still nursing him.
Really now, it's not an all the time thing. He only nurses 2 or 3 times/day and it's mostly for comfort, but that's just it! It's comfort!!!! What kind of mom would I be if I didn't give him the comfort that he craves and needs. Why doesn't she get that?

SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Ack! *family rant/vent*

Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
Registered Users

Yeah, I know that me BF'ing my daughter made a lot of people in mine and my husbands family uncomfortable also, I nursed her until 19 months. I probably would have gone longer except I was pregnant with my son and my milk dried up. I plan on nursing DS as long as he and I are both comfortable with it, but already I know it makes some people squirm, and he's only 7 months! I'm sorry mama... HUGS!
Kristina, SAHM, wife to Mike, Mommy to Abigail (1/31/06) and Alex (3/13/08) CD'ing , veggie, BF'ing , BW'ing, Cosleeping, AP'ing Mama
kkrpata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:24 PM   #4
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
My Mood:

By "real" milk does she mean COW's milk? That would be real milk for a calf. But being as you're human and you make milk for your own baby then THAT would be real milk!

Okay, just a little snippiness there but really, you're doing the right thing. It would just be nice if you could do it with support, especially from your own mom. How did her BF experience go? Maybe she feels a bit guilty about it somehow? I don't know, that could be causing her reaction. At any rate, I hope you don't let it affect what you are doing for your baby.
Michelle, mom to DD (7/9/99), DD (11/12/01), and DS (4/17/07); wife to DH (8/31/96)
GEM (Green and Economical by Michelle) Cloth
***Clearance Prices on Cloth Pad Sets!***
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:34 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

I just don't spend a lot of time with people like that....
Nicole Mama to Kadin 2/02 and Ansel 12/06
Exclusive breastfeeding(BFAR), cloth diapering, cosleeping, babywearing, APing
Ask me about DC/MD/VA babywearing!
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
Registered Users

things have changed since she was a mom. you're the mama now! and you know what's best for your DS! keep up it!!
Mama to my little guy K, almost 2 years old!!
takasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:39 PM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

I have a feeling that I will be running into this too. My ds is 7 months and I am already getting the "are you STILL breastfeeding" question with raised eyebrows.
Amy 110% in love with being a wife and mama and running like a gazelle
Christian wife to Jason, MOTR/L, and mama to Kylie, Kyrsten, and Jack
aecryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:42 PM   #8
Registered Users
My Mood:

Oh geez! 19 mos? What would she have though of my almost- 3yo running up for na-nas???

With something like that (and my inlaws were just as disgusted by extended nursing), I don't even respond. Nod smile, and ignore.
to my soldier since 1998!
Ontariomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:12 PM   #9
no caption needed
My Mood:

My MIL insisted that when Gage was 6m-19m he was nursing only because he was "getting off" from it. Like sexually...seriously.. Needless to say, we dont see her often...not to mention she's an alcoholic..
Do you like my avatar? check me out on FACEBOOK
ShayneLeMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:14 AM   #10
Registered Users
My Mood:

Hehe..I haven't really had to deal with those comments until now. I've been visiting family.

My gparents were asking if he drank milk yet(cow's milk). I said no, that he didn't drink milk. And they were like "no milk!?!?!" And, I said, yes, he gets milk(meaning my milk). And then it was "oh yourmilk." And then it was "so, you don't even give him chocolate milk??!?!"

I said "Sorry, I don't make chocolate milk."

I was the only one who found that one funny.

But they are gradually getting the idea that my milk is real milk, and whole milk, and all of that jazz.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote