Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2006, 07:15 PM   #1
mommyto2presidents
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Curdled BM?

Hi all. Okay, has anyone ever had white *flakes* for lack of a better description floating in your breastmilk? I pump in order to get a stash going (in case of my illness or something similar). I've pumped in the past and tried to add babydoliphus (sp?) and it looked like it curdled the milk, so I've never added any more. I just defrosted some bm since ds has a upper resp. infection and is having a hard time breathing wjile bf'ing since he's so stuffed up. I transfered the milk to a bottle and it's got the white flakes in it (?). Anyone have an idea why/what this is? is it bad? Should I not use it? I would hate to waste the milk, especially since it's happened before, but I also would never want to feed it to ds if there's something wrong with it, kwim?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 10-30-2006, 07:24 PM   #2
christinewith4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Curdled BM?

Did you shake it? I am thinking it is fat.... milk fat.... thats what it sounds like to me.... I have never stopped nursing b/c they're sick... they gotta suck either way right...

(BFing for 11yrs, no, dont worry NOT the same kid )

PS- if he tries it, and spits it back at you me gives you a weird look then it doesnt taste right...hehehe... seriously though, its sound fine to me.

Last edited by christinewith4; 10-30-2006 at 07:27 PM.
christinewith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I thaw out milk sometimes it is separated and has flakes in it. DD takes it just fine. Now those flakes look nothing like the curdled milk that DD spits back up after she overeats. Karen
kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:43 PM   #4
mommyto2presidents
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinewith4 View Post
Did you shake it? I am thinking it is fat.... milk fat.... thats what it sounds like to me.... I have never stopped nursing b/c they're sick... they gotta suck either way right...
I know, I know, I thought the same thing too. But, with Ds, he's just SO stuffed up and he has an inner ear infection, so lying down or reclined AT ALL makes him very uncomfortable. I try to nurse him with him sitting up, facing me, but he's not used to that and doesn't eat as much, so I try to give him a bottle, where he can also sit mostly upright and he seems to do better. I kind of *supplement* him using ebm in a bottle...

I thought it might be fat too, but as a comparison, canned broth has fat on the top and when you warm it, it goes away, right? When I warm up the bm, the flakes are still there... (?)
Old 10-30-2006, 08:40 PM   #5
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

i'm not sure about the flakes, but steam up the bathroom and nurse in there. the steam will help the stuffy nose which makes it easier to nurse. and you could also squirt some fresh ebm in the nose/ear ... good for infections!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:51 PM   #6
mommyto2presidents
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
i'm not sure about the flakes, but steam up the bathroom and nurse in there. the steam will help the stuffy nose which makes it easier to nurse. and you could also squirt some fresh ebm in the nose/ear ... good for infections!
Thanks for the suggestion. I was putting in the steamy bathroom already, just didn't think to nurse in there!

I've heard other mama's mention this in other posts. How do you know how much ebm you use in the nose/ear?
Old 10-30-2006, 08:54 PM   #7
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

The rare times I pump to get milk...even when I warm it up it still has fat on top that has to be shaken in.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:05 PM   #8
mommyto2presidents
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmnJJsMom View Post
The rare times I pump to get milk...even when I warm it up it still has fat on top that has to be shaken in.
Does that mean that your fat looks *flaky* too?
Old 10-30-2006, 10:02 PM   #9
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Kinda...I know when it's freezer burn...when I shake it, it wont mix in. Breastmilk can stay room temp for 4 hours w/out spoiling (I have heard longer, but that's the shortest I've heard) So I generally don't keep it out that long to worry about it spoiling. Trust me though, when it spoils, you'll KNOW. I left some breastmilk to thaw in the fridge once and forgot it at my mom's house....she found it in the back about a week later...let's just say YUCK!
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:37 AM   #10
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

I vote for fat also. Mine does this.

As for breastmilk in t he nose, eyes, or ears, I have always just hand expressed a bit and then used an eye dropper to drop in a few drops.
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote