Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2006, 03:44 PM   #1
Nique
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
non-vax/delayed vax & military ??

Okay... I have a few questions...

I have been doing a lot of my own research, and reading the threads on here regarding non-vaxing or delayed vaxing. And I have become more and more uncomfortable with vaxing, or at least the vaxing schedule.

My first question: We are a military family and I am going to be doing on base, in home daycare. I am pretty sure that the "people" who oversee that require all the kids to be vaxed, and there is NO exemptions (how can the military get away with that??). Does anyone know if that is true?

Okay, so I am going with an assumption (for now) that my girls WILL have to be vaxed because of the daycare situation. Meanwhile, I always have had a hard time with the number of shots they recieve (and therefore the amount of icky's being injected into them) in one day. I am VERY seriously considering doing delayed vax at this point. (they are 8 months old tomorrow and have been fully vaxed to this point) I am wondering what others have done in their delayed vax schedules. I'm really thinking of at their one year appt having them get just one vax, and a month later, another... and so on. Is that sufficient time for their bodies???

Also, I am having a tough time deciding on the CP vax. I PERSONALLY think they should just be exposed at 1 yr and get a REAL immunity to it like I did. But again, will the military let me?? Should I just have that be the LAST one they are given in the one year series and try to expose them in the meantime?

Okay... last two (I think)... How do you go about explaining to the docs that you are NOT going to do it their way?? With our old pedi back in Cali he actually asked me if I wanted to do things on the normal schedule or if I was doing it differently. Also, I want the thermosil free vaxs from now on. Should I call the clinic ahead of time (after scheduling the appt of course) and tell them that? And should I demand to see the packaging and have them draw up the vaxs in front of me to be SURE they are thermosil free???

Sorry for the mess of questions. But I think I am finally coming down to my descision, which is to, reluctantly, do delayed vax. I'd rather not vax at all, but I don't think that option is truly available to me. Thanks to all the knowledgable mamas for reading this and trying to help me!!

Advertisement

Nique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
runningdiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: non-vax/delayed vax & military ??

We are military and I was so nervous about our firts wb checkup. i made dh come w/me..... I thought they were going to give us hell and it was so easy. honestly, the dr. just asked us why..... we said we were delaying until she turned 2 he said OK. asked us if we had any questions, said don't believe everything you here and that was that. it was a huge relief. i went to the 4 month appt and he brought up vax again- i said we were delaying and that was that.
however, we were lucky. i have heard some dr.s give dependents a really hard time. but i've head some civilian dr.'s give parents a hard time. it all depends on the dr. i just lucked out. they cannot force you to though.... you are dependents, your children do not have a contract with the military. so, no matter how much they strong arm you they can't make you vaccinate your children. if they did- if they said you MUST vaccinate under any circumstance and your child had a reacction or the unthinkable happended they would be so on the hook, so their will always be an out.

Mama to Sophia born 6-9-06
runningdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:15 PM   #3
Nique
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks. I just gotta find out if it's true that for the daycare situation they have to be vaxed. Why oh WHY can't this be made easier!!!
Old 10-31-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
ocfb16
Children will forget your presents. They will always remember your presence.
seller

I dont see how they can make you vax b/c of a daycare...but I'm not sure. I do know that I am military and didnt have much of a problem with my military doctor. He just told me he would recommend vaxing. I them explained to him all my knowledge on the diseases and brought up many good points on why not to vax. From that point on he basically agreed that I have made the best decision for my family. He agreed that the diseases we vax against are not that scary. Still recommended vaxing though, but I doubt he will bring it up again. He said if I chose to I can come and do it anytime.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:59 PM   #5
aliks
Registered Users
seller

I was told by other moms that I had to vax (we're navy). But after reading up on cp and mmr, we decided to not vax for those. I talked to his pedi, mentioned casually that a close male member of my family may have autism and he told me to skip 'em all. That is telling me something! He just said he had to write down the aap web address or something and we left. He also said there was no need to go to the 15 month wb visit. But I've been lucky with this pedi, he's never pushed antibiotics or any meds on Tony when he's sick. Good luck!
aliks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:25 AM   #6
desertblossom79
Registered Users
seller

We're military and I've been an in-home daycare provider before and yes they will try to tell you that you have to vax for everything. They can't make you vax your children but they can refuse to accept your children. If your state has an exemption of some kind (religious or philosophical(sp?), btw, you don't have to be of a certain religion or any religion at all to get a religious exemption) I would get that and then try and find a provider who might be willing to work with you. Other than that I don't know what to tell you other than try a civilian in home provider who might be more willing to work with you because the state has to accept their own exemptions. The military can get away with it because most people don't question it.

My older dd had a reaction to her 2 mos shots, then again at her 4 mos shots and she hasn't had another one since. She was born in a military hospital and has only seen military doctors. After I said no more vaxes, I had one doctor who tried to give me a hard time but I just made sure all future appointments were with ANYONE but her, LOL! We've moved since then and I haven't gotten any vaxes for the new baby(also born in a military hospital and only seen military doctors). Our doctor here is one that remembers us from our last base and while he doesn't agree with me, he doesn't try to pressure me either. We just agree to disagree. So it is possible to find military doctors who will at least respect your decision.

My oldest was the only one who has had the CP vax and only because I was doing daycare at the time and they threatened to take my license away if I didn't vax him for it. I've been desparately searching for a CP party but I haven't found one yet. I wouldn't count on your child catching CP but still don't plan on vaxing my kids for it either. Just wanted to let you know it's getting harder and harder to get your kids exposed to chicken pox these days unfortunately.

Good luck

Jeni

Patrick (9), Sean (7) Caitlyn (6), Brooke (1)Owen (4/08)
desertblossom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:21 AM   #7
tillers72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a certification and all for the FCC...they say, yes all children and providers must be vaccianted...however, if there is an exemption filled out, then you are fine...however, they may make you post something in your home about not vaxing your children so that the other parents are aware. You have the choice to accept non-vaxed kids into your care, so your children are part of your "care". I am not currently doing FCC, but i hope this helps!

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:45 PM   #8
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

there is no reason why you cant do it being a military family, your husband is the only one who is required to get vaxes. And your husband can not be punished in his job for your familys vax status either, your family are civilians. you are afforded every right that civilians have, so if your state has it, you can get the exemptions.

SAHM to my crazy toddler
janendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:54 PM   #9
Nique
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

THANK YOU!!! So basically I CAN stop vaxing if I want to, and just have to post it and make sure the parents of the other children I care for are aware that my children are not vax'd? THAT I can handle. Wish I'd gotten back to this thread sooner. Fortunatly (or unfortunatly since I now wish I'd done my research sooner) my girls are fully vaxed up to their 6 month appointment and don't need anymore until 1 year, so I've got time to get it all figured out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillers72 View Post
I have a certification and all for the FCC...they say, yes all children and providers must be vaccianted...however, if there is an exemption filled out, then you are fine...however, they may make you post something in your home about not vaxing your children so that the other parents are aware. You have the choice to accept non-vaxed kids into your care, so your children are part of your "care". I am not currently doing FCC, but i hope this helps!
Old 11-04-2006, 10:00 PM   #10
Nique
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblossom79 View Post
We're military and I've been an in-home daycare provider before and yes they will try to tell you that you have to vax for everything. They can't make you vax your children but they can refuse to accept your children. If your state has an exemption of some kind (religious or philosophical(sp?), btw, you don't have to be of a certain religion or any religion at all to get a religious exemption) I would get that and then try and find a provider who might be willing to work with you. Other than that I don't know what to tell you other than try a civilian in home provider who might be more willing to work with you because the state has to accept their own exemptions. The military can get away with it because most people don't question it.

My oldest was the only one who has had the CP vax and only because I was doing daycare at the time and they threatened to take my license away if I didn't vax him for it. I've been desparately searching for a CP party but I haven't found one yet. I wouldn't count on your child catching CP but still don't plan on vaxing my kids for it either. Just wanted to let you know it's getting harder and harder to get your kids exposed to chicken pox these days unfortunately.

Good luck

Jeni
Just to clarify, I want to BE the daycare provider!! So I have to tread carefully. I know the BS the military will TRY to push on you. I was IN the Army. I recieved substandard care while in the Army, but boy do I have practically every vax known to man running through my body!!

That sucks about CP. I will pray I can find a party, if I am forced to vax. CP isn't even all that BAD. Shoot, I had it in Kindergarten, along with my entire class, and yeah it itched, but it was just another rite of passage!!

Well, I guess I'll find out next week or soon after what I can do (got my FCC orientation)

Thanks Mama!