Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
wjallen05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Loosing Weight While BFing...

I am currently 138 and want to be at 120. I lost all the weight a week after my first, three weeks after my second, and about 4 months after my third. This time though, it is just not coming off (well, actually, I have lost about 5 lbs since his birth) though I feel very overweight (for me) and uncomfortable with the way I look. Also clothes don't fit, etc etc. My main concern is being able to make enough milk for DS.. is it okay to diet while BF? Anyone know how many calories and such that I need to take in? I want to burn off more than I take in... kwim. I know BF burns something like 500 calories a day?
I do eat lots of yogurt and oatmeal.

Advertisement

.Jamie. Wife to William & SAHM to: Taylor (7), Hayley (5), Hannah (4), William Jr (3); 5 hens, 4 goats, 3 dogs (2 Great Pyrenees & 1 Chihuahua), 3 hairless guinea pigs, 2 pet rats, 2 barn cats & 1 old horse.
www.hillwoodfarm.net
wjallen05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
ekahi
Registered Users

Re: Loosing Weight While BFing...

As far as I know there's no one size fits all calorie intake for losing weight while breastfeeding, it all depends on your body and it's specific needs.

It's perfectly fine to diet while nursing, but don't be extreme about it.

What I would suggest is eating normally for a day and counting every single calorie you're putting into your body without watching what you eat. After you have your end of day total cut that by 250-300 calories and you'll start to lose weight. You don't have to cut much to do it! So don't go crazy.
ekahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
clechatelier
Registered Users

My Mood:

Stay hydrated and drink lots! You probably already do but I found it improved my supply tremendously AND kept me from snacking during the day. Congrats on being 138!!! I haven't weighed that little since high school
Old 10-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
fuzzycakes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would try less to think of it as dieting, and think more of making healthy choices. Cut out any naughty snacks, replace high fat foods with low fat foods. replace red meats w/ chicken or turkey (white meat, no skin) try fresh fruits/veggies instead of canned... decrease your sodium intake.

I honestly don't think there's a big need to count calories if you are getting 30min. of mod. exercise 5 times a week (or more) and eating healthy foods. Definately make a conscience effort to eat lots of fiber too Fiber's good for you!
~Rebecca~ mamma to DS#1 Emmett (10/26/06) , DS#2 Henry (6/2/08) , and DS#3 Calvin (9/17/09)
fuzzycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
mommamally
Registered Users

You are going to make all the mamas jealous about your weight!!! Just listen to your body and fill it with good stuff. Also, when you are feeling hungry, drink a glass of water, and see if you still feel hugry. Sometimes our brains misinterpret what our bodies need and we feel hungry when we are just thristy. But, also, make sure you are getting 3 meals a day (or preferably 6 small meals).
mommamally is offline   Reply With Quote