Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
aidensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What's the rule for climbing out of the crib?

My little guy is 16 months. Today, he was late going down for a nap and was very fussy/angry. He was exhausted, so I figured I would put him in the crib and fully expected him to fall asleep within a minute, two tops...he actually is a good sleeper and loves his nap and bedtime.

Nope, not today...our little hot headed boy showed me and crawled out of his crib...I heard a huge thud as I walked into the kitchen. I calmed him down (and calmed myself down), and tried again...immediately leg over the railing...tried again, same thing. Finally, two hours later, he is asleep after I had him fall asleep in the MT...

So, what's the rule on kids climbing out of the crib? I am supposed to convert it to a toddler bed now for safety reasons, correct? Any naptime tips?

This threw me for a loop today.

Oh, and he can have a pillow in his toddler bed, right?

Advertisement

You may strive to be like them but seek not to make them like you."
-- Kahlil Gibran
aidensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What's the rule for climbing out of the crib?

Here's what we did. We put the crib mattress on the floor first so he could get used to not rolling off the bed. Then we moved/converted to a toddler bed.
U might be able to move to the toddler bed right away. but there is a bit of a drop, so u might need some cushions underneath.

We had to put a gate on the door. I know some parents are against this, but it was the only way to keep my kids in their rooms - esp. at night. im not talking about wandering out in the middle of the night. im talking about making them stay in the room just minutes after you put them to bed. once they turn 3 we can usually remove the gate and they know to stay in bed (for the most part) We did not use a pillow until after he got used to the bed (and then requested a pillow)
good luck!

oh and for the first week or so u may find him sleeping anywhere in his room BUT the bed and this is normal. One time we found our DS asleep UNDER the toddler bed!

Last edited by vintagegyrl; 10-17-2008 at 11:15 AM.
vintagegyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
aidensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't even think about falling out of the toddler bed....great....we've got a few long nights ahead of us as he is all over the place in his crib at night. I like your idea of the pillows on the floor, that will work well.

We never used the toddler bed with our first son...we just moved him to the big boy bed with a railing right before he turned two. We had sleep issues with him, but he always (and still does) have sleep issues, so nothing in our experience with him was "average."

Thanks!
-- Kahlil Gibran
Old 10-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not to answer your q, but to comment on the first part of your post -- when kids get too tired, it's really hard for them to sleep! GL.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
aidensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Starr View Post
Not to answer your q, but to comment on the first part of your post -- when kids get too tired, it's really hard for them to sleep! GL.
oh absolutely -- that's exactly what was going on here....just now we've got the issue of the fact he discoverd a new skill
-- Kahlil Gibran
Old 10-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
meghann8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to say that yep, once they get out once, they'll do it again. So bye bye crib!
meghann8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
Michelle8903
Registered Users
seller

DD climbed/fell out of the crib at 18 months shortly after I put her to bed for the night. Her crib converts to a toddler bed and it was done that same night after we both calmed down. I most certainly wasn't going to wait and see if she would climb out of it again.
Michelle8903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:

DD climbed out of her crib, or actually fell out. She was about 17 months old. I heard a loud thud in the morning followed by a HUGE scream. We went out and bought her a toddler bed that night. She had no problems sleeping in it. Never fell out of it either. If she did it wasn't a big drop at all.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #9
dtcokelovr
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DD learned at about 17 mos to climb out of her crib. I didn't feel good about putting her in her toddler bed, so I thought I would work with her to learn to stay in the crib. I put her in there and sat right beside the bed with her as she was trying to get out. Everytime she would hike her leg up to go over the crib, I would tell her no and put her leg back down. We did this for about an hour, but she has not done it again and she is 22 mos old now. I'm amazed that she doesn't do it anymore because she is most definitely strong willed. Anyway, for what it's worth, you might want to give it a try.
dtcokelovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:07 AM   #10
aidensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, we converted the crib to a toddler bed and I am now sleep deprived and grouchy.

Naps are a disaster, yesterday he fell asleep in the car because we couldn't get him to fall asleep in his new bed. Falling to sleep at bedtime worked ok the last two nights, but last night he came into our room twice, and was up for the day at 4am...it's 10am now and he shows no sign of being tired

I think we are going to try locking him in for naps, but I am dreading it...he used to be such a great napper!

On a positive note, the crib looks very nice converted to a bed and he seems to love it --when he's awake, lol.
-- Kahlil Gibran