Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
swan771
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Does this sound like weaning?

Eli is 14.5 months old. He still nurses 4X day. Once in the A.M, sometimes 4 or 5 AM, sometimes he sleeps through and nurses when he wakes up at 7AM. Then again at naps and bedtime. The last few days when it is time to go to sleep, he starts screaming the minute I sit with him in our chair, and refuses to nurse. He arches his back and screams hysterically. Pushing me away. I out him in his crib and he screams and screams. Cries for "Noosy", then I go back in and we repeat the cycle. Until he cries himself to sleep. He even did this this morning at 4:45 AM, which is normally his longest nursing session. He did eventually nurse after an hour of this back and forth. He is in his crib screaming right now. He has had diarrhea a few times in the last 24 hours, but this started before that AND he is constantly asking for something to eat. I have been sticking to the BRAT diet, water, and offering nursing. He is eating a ton, and drinking about 25 oz of water a day. So I don't *think* it is naseau. AT any rate my ODS weaned very gradually on his own, dropping a feed here and there and it was not traumatic at all. Eli has NEVER gone on strike, and I was convinced we would be nursing until his 2nd b-day.

Whaddya think?

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
Mom of Sasha and Oisin
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Does this sound like weaning?

I would be inclined to say this is a Nursing Strike. Weaning generally happens gradually, not always, but generally.
What you are describing happened to my friend when her son was around the same age. It went on for almost a week and she was very depressed about it. Then he started nursing again.
What is a BRAT diet?
Mom of Sasha and Oisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
swan771
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does this sound like weaning?

He is over the stomach virus and yesterday only nursed once before his afternoon nap. He refused at bedtime and again this morning when he woke up at 6AM. I am pretty sure he is done. At bedtime last night I offered and he bit me.
The BRAT diet is bananas, rice, applesauce, toast. . . for when they have a stomach virus.