Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:
EBM and NIP...

For those who have older children who are nursing, do you stop NIP at a certain point? It really worries me, as I've heard cases of CPS called on parents nursing older children for "sexual abuse". People around here don't breastfeed...I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've ever seen anybody nurse other than me. So I'd definitely be worried to let DS NIP once he's a certain age...I'm just not sure what that age is. I was thinking 1 since the AAP recommends BFing until 1. But I don't know if he'll be ready at 1 to not nurse if we're out...kwim?

Advertisement

KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: EBM and NIP...

We were done NIP by 14 months old, but my son was also small so strangers didn't know he was over a year old. And the AAP recommends bfing for at least one year and longer if mutually desired.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:17 PM   #3
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

The us govt (or seperate states, i'm unsure) have laws protecting breastfeeding mothers from being accused of sexual abuse. The AAP now recomends 3 years last I heard. I will nurse DD when she wants no matter where I am until she is done nursing.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:45 PM   #4
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

When DS#1 got older, he only nursed to sleep/ nap or for comfort. In public he was too distracted and did't want to, so we didn't run into any issues. I do remember NIP when he was 16 months old at church, with a congregation of 10, so I am sure people noticed, but never said anything. I was very confident in myself, so I think that helped.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:28 AM   #5
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmnJJsMom View Post
The us govt (or seperate states, i'm unsure) have laws protecting breastfeeding mothers from being accused of sexual abuse. The AAP now recomends 3 years last I heard. I will nurse DD when she wants no matter where I am until she is done nursing.
really??? that's awesome! do you have a link for that? i just tried to find it on the aap site, but i couldn't even find the 'at least one year' policy statement.

to the op, i know what you mean, i am beginning to feel somewhat awkward nursing my 1 year olds (in public), but thankfully no one has said anything. yet. i try to have a comeback, not a snotty one, but something like, yes, im so glad they are still nursing, since its getting to be cold season. or yup! still nursing, i want reduce my risk of breast and ovarian cancer as much as possible!! i have a family member who seems to think it is so self sacrificing of me to bf 2 babies, and for so long, but i try and reassure her that its is not that way at all. not quite getting through yet, but at least she's impressed!

and i think i have seen like 2 women, my whole life, nip (not counting LLL meetings!). it is so not done around these parts! i say, do what feels right to you, and be confident in that. good job mama!!
Old 11-01-2006, 09:50 AM   #6
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, DS is 2 now and we just nursed last night at IHOP. He was super hungry and food was going to be like 20 more minutes. I nurse him if he needs it whenever he needs it. I figure who am I to tell him when he needs comforted or feel the closeness of Mamma (isn't that what BFing is all about anyway)?

As far as peoples comments, I have not gotten any that haven't been from family except people that have asked how old he is,I just say he is 2 and they say he is still nursing, and I say yes. Be confident with your decision and don't feel uncomfortable! People sense when you are not confident and they will give you all kinds of ADVICE...

I wouldn't worry about having the police called on you or anything like that. We just nurse very decretely and noone (like last night in the IHOP booth) even know what he is doing... my husband says it looks like snuggling, putting him to sleep, and sometimes like we are playing.

LAST POINT! WHO FRIEKING CARES! IT IS YOUR BABY DO WHAT YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH!!!

BTW, I was not BF, noone in DH's family was and not very many people BF in public here. I just see myself as a lactivest and MOVE ON!

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:51 AM   #7
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

BTW I have been watching you over these past few months and I say KUDOS to you and that sweet babe!

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:52 AM   #8
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by titania View Post
really??? that's awesome! do you have a link for that? i just tried to find it on the aap site, but i couldn't even find the 'at least one year' policy statement.
I heard it on the news about a year ago...but I just read the full AAP statement of recomendation for breastfeeding and it's not in there. I did find this if it helps though.

Expert Recommendations on Duration of Breastfeeding

World Health Organization: "two years of age or beyond"

American Academy of Pediatrics, Policy Statement: Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child

American Academy of Family Physicians: " Breastfeeding beyond the first year offers considerable benefits to both mother and child, and should continue as long as mutually desired. . . If the child is younger than two years of age, the child is at increased risk of illness if weaned."

Here is where I got this all.

A link on the laws of NIP
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:18 AM   #9
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmnJJsMom View Post
I heard it on the news about a year ago...but I just read the full AAP statement of recomendation for breastfeeding and it's not in there. I did find this if it helps though.

Expert Recommendations on Duration of Breastfeeding

World Health Organization: "two years of age or beyond"

American Academy of Pediatrics, Policy Statement: Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child

American Academy of Family Physicians: " Breastfeeding beyond the first year offers considerable benefits to both mother and child, and should continue as long as mutually desired. . . If the child is younger than two years of age, the child is at increased risk of illness if weaned."

Here is where I got this all.

A link on the laws of NIP
thanks! i have actually read that article before, it was nice to read it again. i had forgotten all about it. thanks again.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #10
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's never been a problem for me.. Torrin was the only one of my boys to continue beyond a year, but by that time, he generally didn't nurse in public. He would sometimes want to nurse while we were visiting family, so then the only comments were "He's still nursing??" I'd just say "Yes." Sometimes they'd ask "When are you going to wean?" or once my mom said "How long are you going to do that?" I just say "Until he's ready/done."

I worry a little.. we're hoping to move to TN soon and from stories I've heard there seems to be more criticism in that region. CA is a very easy state to NIP in. Here, people don't really talk to each other - they just kind of mind their own business. I'm more likely to get wierd looks than any comments. I just smile back.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote