Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2008, 10:56 PM   #1
tiffybugg
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How many cloth baby wipes do you need?

Hello! I am pregnant with #3 due in December. This will be my first baby to cd and I am building up my stash. I was wondering how many cloth baby wipes would be good to have on hand? Is it better to buy them (recommendations?) or make your own? Thanks!!

Advertisement

tiffybugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
PsyckoPrincess
Registered Users
seller

Re: How many cloth baby wipes do you need?

I'm curious about this as well... we've been cd-ing for almost 3 mo now (my LO is 4 mo tomorrow!) And we've been using Seventh Gen wipes up until now - told DH when this stash runs out I'm not buying more, we're doing cloth. We're poor though and so I decided to make some. I used the old receiving blankets that were my least fav, and too small now... cut them into about 6" sqares, and have enough cloth to make 32 (double sided)? I do dipes ever 2-3 days... I wonder will this be enough? (Esp since DH uses likea doz wipes per poo dipe lol)...

Any recommendations out there?
PsyckoPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:

I bought 48 wipes from Small Wonders She has AWESOME wipes. They are velour on one side and sherpa on the other so the sherpa grabs and the velour is soft for everything else. They have held up really well (I've been using them well over a year)

48 was a pretty good number. I have 4 in 2 diaper bags - which leaves 40 at home. I've never used them all before a wash, but I'd guess that I've been down to 3-4 left.

Figure 1 wipe/change and 2-3 for poopy diapers and multiply that by how many diapers you want to go through before you wash
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
NessaL_07
Registered Users

My Mood:

I too would like to know, this will be my first time cd. I started with just trainers for my dd
Old 10-18-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

Right now I have a stash of disposable wipes...I got them from baby showers and bought a box or two myself as well. But I'm thinking of going with cloth wipes after the beginning haze and maybe just keep commercial wipes onhand for longer trips and babysitters. I've been keeping those baby washcloths to use as wipes...I've gotten a few packages as gifts and already have baby washclothes as it is!

When we were children my parents just used washcloths all the time, so I would think these would work great if you had extras. I also like the recieving blanket idea..seems those would not only be softer but you'd end up getting them cheaper because you can buy recieiving blankets so cheaply at thrift stores/yard sales.

I think I'll shoot for about four dozen as well. Right now I only have ten or fifteen though, lol.
happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:58 PM   #6
HLCreations
Registered Users
Formerly: diapermamaagain
seller

My Mood:

SMALL WONDERS!!!

She is the only ONLY mama I trust to make my wipes!!
We use Family wipes...so we have about 40-50
If I was just using them for babe, I would say around 12-16 wipes.
)
Make sure you have enough to wipe bottoms, faces and sticky fingers!!

http://www.smallwonderswipes.com/

Last edited by HLCreations; 10-18-2008 at 11:00 PM.
HLCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:06 PM   #7
tranmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For a newborn, I think that at least 48 would be a good number, for all the messy poops! I didn't start cding until DD was about 3 months old, and I started out with 24. I quickly realized I needed to double it. I've been working with 48 wipes ever since (DD is now 13 months).
Old 10-18-2008, 11:13 PM   #8
PsyckoPrincess
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidisue View Post
I bought 48 wipes from Small Wonders She has AWESOME wipes. They are velour on one side and sherpa on the other so the sherpa grabs and the velour is soft for everything else. They have held up really well (I've been using them well over a year)

48 was a pretty good number. I have 4 in 2 diaper bags - which leaves 40 at home. I've never used them all before a wash, but I'd guess that I've been down to 3-4 left.

Figure 1 wipe/change and 2-3 for poopy diapers and multiply that by how many diapers you want to go through before you wash
Ahh... Hmm... good thinking! Probably... let's see so, 3 poo a day = say, 9 and then maybe 5-6 changes, so maybe 15 per day average x laundry every 2-3 days... 40-45ish would be a good stash huh? I'll ahve to cut up one more blanket

I'm not familiar with sherpa, though I've seen the term used before in the cd world.. what is it? Velour is like the jogging suits right? lol... pardon me for sounding naive

Thanks for the tips!!! May I ask, also, what kind of solution do you use, or just water?

Thanks again!
PsyckoPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:33 PM   #9
mugsywebb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have about 30 from Sarah's Stitches. I buy wipes, soakers, and wetbags from her every time I get more $$ into paypal, and her turn around is so fast.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:49 PM   #10
JaeCicc
Registered Users

I agree that Small Wonder wipes are the best and that the sherpa/velour combination is the best. We have some of those and we also have flannel/velour which a lot of people like. Sherpa is kind of like fat cotton... It's a little raised and textured and the velour side is really soft and smooth. I have WAY less wipes than everyone else though. I started when my son was about a year old with 12 wipes. Obviously you would need more with a newborn, but I'd say that 24 would probably be enough for a good start, especially if you're watching your money.

As for solutions probably every other person you talk to will have a different favorite. We've used the BumGenius spray, Baby Moon concentrate, and now we're using the Kissaluvs concentrate. And when I don't get enough ordered in time we use water. I think they all work about the same. We just use a spritzer and I think that's the easiest although we've done it where I fold them up and dump the solution over top. I think that way uses a lot more solution and takes more time. We also only have one spritzer bottle, which is kind of annoying, but feasible.

Good luck
JaeCicc is offline   Reply With Quote