Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2006, 12:14 AM   #11
shell015
Banned
seller

Re: RANT! friend gonna follow some book about making baby sleep through night.....

Oh my gosh! No way! I can't imagine. That's just like starving your baby. Come on. Jeeezzz.

Advertisement

shell015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:26 AM   #12
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: RANT! friend gonna follow some book about making baby sleep through night.....

so i've been so angry about this, the more and more info i read on this dumb @$$ book and the things that are caused to infants b/c of this "idea". which are exactly waht i figured would happen to the poor baby. this is just ridiculous. but all i can do is tell her what i've learned about this book from what i will tell her is "research" i have done on it. dh says that if she refuses to listen to just tell her i don't want her calling anymore b/c i don't need this kind of stress.

i was actually so worked up i was shaking and sweating for an hour give or take. it's probably partially hormones and mostly b/c i just can't stand this kind of stupid crap, this is a baby not a plastic toy......i'm just so royally pissed. i'm sorry but if she goes through w/this it is abuse and is neglect.....i just can't imagine ignoring a crying baby.

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:34 AM   #13
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

I read the links and I still think it's crazy....But the crazier thing is I used to work at a daycare ( main stream daycare) and we were instructed to to feed every 4 hours and not a second less...It was so hard for me and sometimes when I was in there with the infants and theyd be crying & crying....I would give them a couple of ounces of their bottle and they always always stop crying and relax. One mom even found out I was doing that because she would only bring enough milk for x amount of hours....and she was worried that her ds was getting fat..OMG that child was not even that chunky! SO she had her dr. write a note to the daycare...and it read (i will never forget) that her child only needs to be fed every 4 hours and that it is NOT a nessecity to feed him more than that...and it went on to say that we as doctors have a little bit more information than you as daycare providers in knowing that when a baby cries, it usually just wants to be picked up!!

I was soo irritated...cuz that mom felt vindicated but she didnt have to stay there all day long with a screaming crying hungry baby!! Needless tio say I didnt sneak him anymore formula cuz obviously she was soooo against it and it WAS her child...but I felt soo bad for him! I never do that to my son, hes always gettin feed and I like em' a lil chubby!!
Old 11-01-2006, 02:00 AM   #14
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Thats so sad
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:22 AM   #15
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

not to be rude but if she does follow this book she probably wont stick w/ bfing. As we all know bfing babies are pretty demanding and usually wont adhere to a schedule.
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:35 AM   #16
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

she won't.....breastfed babes must be fed on demand. Aer you sure she is bfing? Doesn't sound like the type?????
Old 11-01-2006, 07:16 AM   #17
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, Here's my take. I read the book. I also nursed for over a year with no problems. I didn't starve my child (and the book doesn't advocate that at all, if you read it. It says "if your baby is obviously hungry after 2 hours, feed her!"- and I think that is a direct quote.) No doctor or parent would advocate doing something that would dehydrate or otherwise endanger a child. If you're going to try anyone's theories, you have to use common sense. Maybe the parents that this happened to (if those reports are true) took the advice too seriously and started too early. Anyway,It just advocates trying to put baby on a schedule to make everyone's life a little easier. It works for some kids, others it doesn't. Personally, my baby was in the nicu for 3 weeks after her birth, and she was on a 3 hour schedule when she came home bc that's how they do it in the hospital. She is healthy, happy, and a good sleeper at age 2.

There's nothing wrong with reading someone's theories and taking from them what may work for you and disregarding the rest. Just because someone doesn't make the same choices you do doesn't necessarily mean they're wrong or endangering their child. I hope this was phrased kindly. I'm not trying to start a debate. That's my
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:48 AM   #18
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i going to assume this is her first baby...and do you remember before you had your first? im sure you expected things to be a certain way, but then that baby came along and set you straight!! or at least that's what it was like for me!! what im trying to say, and i am in no way being rude, because i agree with you, but i bet she just has noooo idea how it will be when that baby comes. she won't have time to read a book, that's for sure! anyway, let her think what she wants, offer her alternative viewpoints, point out how it works for you, etc. support her bfing efforts!!! she sounds like she will really need some encouragement in that department. maybe get her a copy of the womanly art of bfing. it is a mothering book as much as a bfing one. when is the baby due? let us know how it goes!
Old 11-01-2006, 09:24 AM   #19
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

the baby is due on friday.....no personally i don't think she will stick with bfing. as far as the pp goes this book was NOT written by a dr, and from what i just read on the other books he's written it all sounds very cultish to me. he belongs to a "group" of strict christians who believe children should be seen and not heard.
anyhow i've said my piece on this book, and yes a hospital does feed a baby every 3 hours at most....for a complete 24 hour period, not for 12 hours out of the day....there's a HUGE difference in what the hosp does and what this book says to do. also IMO how a child sleeps as an infant has absolutely zero to do with how they sleep as an adult. my 2 oldest were still waking in the night at 15 months and at 2 slept for 12 hours every night. children sleep well when they are content, so you obviously have a very content toddler. has nothing to do with the book, has to do with your childs personality mostly.

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:25 AM   #20
mom2kailinconnor
'Cuz inside out is wiggity wiggity wiggity whack!
seller

My Mood:

I agree, that is the worst thing you could do. Maybe once she gets baby home, she will see things a bit differently.

Ds is 4 1/2 months and ff. Right now he is going through a growth spurt and is eating 6 oz every 2 1/2 hours, even through the night! I have also started him on 2 tbsp of cereal in the AM. I could not imagine not feeding him at night, no one would ever get any sleep around here! With dd, she was sleeping through the night at this point, but that was her doing, not mine. I try to make the majority of the things I do child-led, not what I want.
mom2kailinconnor is offline   Reply With Quote