Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2006, 09:30 AM   #21
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: RANT! friend gonna follow some book about making baby sleep through night.....

also, i don't know i kinda realized that i was going to be waking up tons with my baby and knew that that was okay b/c that's what my baby would need. to say "that's just not going to work for me" when in reference to when your baby will need to eat to me is just stupidity. and it's cruel. i can't imagine ever saying that in regards to my baby's needs.........

Advertisement

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:45 AM   #22
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: RANT! friend gonna follow some book about making baby sleep through night.....

A couple of things.

first that book scares me

second, my EBF nephew slept through the night (7 hours) starting at 6 weeks. My sister produces enough for a gaggle of newborns so I think he was just really well fed.

third, after about 12 weeks we put dd on a "schedule" where I would nurse her every three to four hours. She responded really well to this, and her individual feeding times were a lot longer, and I knew she was getting hind milk. As a result she gained a lot of weight. Now that she is older I know she is a child who really likes structure and routine. I think she found that routine very comforting. This is how my mom nursed us, and we were nursed to two years back in the day, this was not so common.

That said, when DD was getting ready for a growth spurt she wanted to eat more often so I did feed her more often.

Just be gentle with your friend, remember how clueless we all were? I would tell her anything goes for the first 12 weeks, and then she can talk to her ped about a good nursing schedule. At that point she should know her dc's cues and wants.
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:01 AM   #23
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:16 AM   #24
westend
Banned
seller

I am just gonna chime in here and say that when I had my daughter that book was given to me, I BF and wanted to do the best for my daughter, I must have read the book several times and tried to put her on the book "schedule"
IMO it made things WORSE! I totally regret even trying this and would NEVER recommend it to anyone, in fact I tore the book and tossed it, in fear that another new mom would get her hands on it!

I gave up BF after a long hard road of 4 mths and feel horrible for not doing more research and had alot of pressure from peds and others to just FF. I am now happily an mostly ap parent and the next baby will be fed on demand and can stay up all night if she/he wants to, lol

I love this community for all the important info it offers! (((((HUGS)))))
westend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:57 AM   #25
asandwick
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't finish reading this thread ~ I am in tears
They are just tiny little babies and WE are the MAMA's!!
A responsibility...not a book learned art...a heart motivated, caring and nurturing...Whatever happened to LOVE?? Mama's being guided by LOVE and Natural Affection...
asandwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:14 AM   #26
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

I have to say, that is insane!! As a person that suffers from low blood sugar...I couldn't imagine being told that I HAVE to wait to eat. Newborns suffer from low blood sugar if they go too long w/out eating...for some babies in the first few weeks...that can be an hour.

My first daughter was up every 2 hours to eat (breastfed) until she was 6 months old...and I never batted an eye at that. My second daughter started sleeping through the night at 4 weeks old (usually after 3 or 4 hours of crying thanks to colic) and I was TERRIFIED when she started that because I thought she would sleep through a feeding and get hypoglycemic and then not wake up. At 8 months old she stopped sleeping through the night, and now at nearly 10 months old, she still wakes up 3 or 4 times a night and it doesn't bother me one bit.

I brought her into this world I and responsible for giving her what she needs! I could NEVER imagine ignoring my child's cries no matter what age, but especially as a newborn!
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #27
myajdw
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by asandwick View Post
I can't finish reading this thread ~ I am in tears
They are just tiny little babies and WE are the MAMA's!!
A responsibility...not a book learned art...a heart motivated, caring and nurturing...Whatever happened to LOVE?? Mama's being guided by LOVE and Natural Affection...

thank you mama!!!!! i couldn't finish reading some of the links provided, i was in tears and angry w/my friend so much that i was shaking and sweating.

i totally understand babies love schedule, aj adored a good schedule...but it was his schedule i followed not the other way around. he is still very much a child of structure. i don't disagree with a schedule, please know that. however begining a regimented strict schedule at 1 day old is ridiculous. and even us mama's that do schedule understand how a baby gros and when they grow different needs need to be met. i surely am not alone in understanding that!

Old 11-01-2006, 11:32 AM   #28
myajdw
seller
seller

My Mood:

just wanted to say i sent a firm but gentle e-mail to her w/the links.....we'll see what happens.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:33 PM   #29
seattlehipster
Registered Users

Well if you think about it, we're born almost 4 months too early because we stand up. Now, if we're born too early and we usually double birth weight by 6 months, then her baby will be awake and screaming at her unless he dies. Ignoring a baby's needs is tantamount to child abuse. She doesn't even know her baby's cries, etc yet, so she's in for a rude awakening (pardon the pun). LOTS of new parents say this...but then reality hits and it usually changes things. She's probably got a copy of Babywise by Gary Ezzo, which is pure unscientific garbage from a complete kooky baby-hater. His publisher got sued over the dead babies and now I don't think it's in mass circulation or published by anyone reputable any more. They probably self-publish it. I think his church canned him too.
Keep your chin up!
Old 11-01-2006, 03:09 PM   #30
mommy2itchybaby
Banned
seller

I hope for that poor baby she is not going to be able to hear her little gift of a baby crying because IMO it is absolutely a MOTHER'S INSTINCT TO COMFORT HER CHILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry if I offend anyone but what kind of a mother does not do this???????????
I was super duper lucky because all 3 of my babes slept through the night since 1 or 2 weeks! I hope this baby is like that for it's own sake!
mommy2itchybaby is offline   Reply With Quote