Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-19-2008, 10:39 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Tips on Sign Language.

I think he's really smart. We didn't do it with my dd because she talked so early it wasn't an issue, but I think being a boy and I can tell the differences in his talking that it's going to be longer for him. I think it would be really helpful. I'm going to start this week!!!

athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

imho, signing w/ your baby is a wonderful thing to do.

Not long before becoming I SAHM I received my degree and state certification in sign language interpreting. When my ds was born I used signs with him. Turns out he was speech delayed and the signs really helped keep him from being frustrated (us too since he could tell me what he wanted).

My dd had typically developing speech but using signs with her was still beneficial. She could sign at least 10 things long before she could talk.

No need to do one sign at a time, just as you don't talk using only one word at a time!

There are several books & dvds out there as well as some great classes.

kat7597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:25 PM   #13
Registered Users
Formerly: bsmama
My Mood:

Originally Posted by Ami in Deutschland View Post
I started around 7 months and DS didn't really sign back until about 14 months. He's 17 months now and signs frequently. I introduced signs for all the things DS showed an interest in (animals, people in daily life, food) and use signs for commands/requests (sit, come here, sleep, give me that, be nice, brush teeth) and questions (what, where, who). Some signs he never uses but understands (sit, come here) and others he uses frequently (more, juice, water, cat, eat).

Just try to work in the signs while you are talking. It's easier if you do it frequently, so you don't forget the signs yourself (even if the LO isn't looking). I basically introduced signs as soon as I learned them myself, picking out signs for the words/ideas I use most often (more, eat, come here, etc.) or that I think DS wants to express (cat, dog, bird, airplane, car, hurt, open).

DH doesn't sign much here either, but he tries. Once your LO starts using signs himself, he may be more convinced to try it.

ETA: I've introduced a lot of signs DS doesn't use yet, but he's surprised me sometimes by using a sign that I don't use often in correct context. He signed "be nice" a week ago, which is a sign I hadn't used more than a few times in the past month. I used to use it a lot, when he was petting the cat.

One thing you should be aware of is that children's signs are often "wrong," so you may not recognize them right away. They'll get the right movement, but hand shapes are not accurate.

We started later and Bennett is now signing milk, more, and please. Do whatever feels good- there isn't necessarily a "right" way to teach any baby!
Audrey- Mama to Simon (8), Bennett (4), Cora Jane born on my birthday (2 months), and wife to Matty (8 years).
I'm a BFing, BWing, non-vaxing Mama.
Pool, Party of 5
house-of-boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:21 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

We started at 6 months and he started signing back at 10. It is the best thing ever! I really like the My Baby Can Talk DVDs for when they get a bit older. They are very slow paced and baby friendly with classical music. You watch with them and practice together. They are the only TV things my baby watches or likes.
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody is watching"
jewelzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:30 PM   #15
Custom Advocacy Tee Creator

With our older son we started around 7 or 8 months. It took him quite a while to use any signs, but once he started he picked them up quickly. By 18 months he was using over 100 signs (and only about 10 spoken words, LOL). He still uses some, but is mostly just verbal now. Now, we mostly just sign when we need to be quiet or are far away from one another. We've started using them more, again, now that our younger son is noticing our communication more.

We got a book on signs, but I found that I learned the easiest through the "My Baby Can Talk" videos. They are fantastic!
Carolyn, WAHMommy to A 3.1.06 and J 3.27.08
Say Sumthing: Advocacy T's for babies, children and their parents
Last batch of custom slots goes on sale April 10, 2009 at noon.
saysumthing is offline   Reply With Quote