Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2006, 04:20 AM   #1
ChoiceSoaps
Registered Users

Another reflux question

I've been reading old threads about reflux and feeding problems because ds has basically never taken to eating solids. He's been in OT for it and she is now suggesting med testing because she thinks it's a med problem. He doesn't show typical signs of reflux so I guess it would be silent GERD if anything. He has had some periods where he does well, and other times he doesn't. Can reflux be episodic like that or are we looking at something else?

Advertisement

ChoiceSoaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:26 AM   #2
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Another reflux question

most children/babies outgrow reflux by age 1 year, and it looks like your dc is older than that. from what you have described, it doesn't sound like reflux to me, but im no expert. if you are already in contact with a health professional, i would say they might have better insight. are you comfortable with the direction they are taking you as far as diagnosis? what do you think is the issue? i am a firm believer that moms are the ones to listen to, you know your child better than anyone, and you probably already have an idea of what you think it is. good luck, i sure hope you get some answers soon.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
ChoiceSoaps
Registered Users

I'm starting to believe more and more that it may be a med issue. I just have no idea what it could be. We have a multi-disciplinary feeding team at our local Children's Hosp with an excellent reputation so I am hoping they can pinpoint the problem. My concern is that it may not show up on tests since it seems to be episodic. Thanks for your post and support!
Old 11-01-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Luvmybabies
My two cuties :)
sitesupporter
seller

My son is 19mo and his reflux has progressively gotten worse, he is on an adult dosage of reflux meds now. He also has problems with food aversion and sensory integration issues that we are working on with OT. It doesn't hurt to have your child evaluated, I hope that the feeding team proves helpful to you
Old 11-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

Is it possible it's a sensory issue since it is episodic and not regular. It could be an allergy to some foods too.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
ChoiceSoaps
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
Is it possible it's a sensory issue since it is episodic and not regular. It could be an allergy to some foods too.
Some days I'm convinced it's sensory. Other days I'm convinced it's medical. There are signs of both.

On the med side, he chokes, doesn't chew, has difficulty swallowing, vomits if reclined too far while getting a bottle, and certain ways DH rubs his back makes him throw up.

On the sensory side, he is particular about a lot of things (some non-food related). All of his pickiness is triggered visually. He doesn't notice his pant legs being hiked up or crumbs on his hand by feeling them, but when he sees them he can't focus on anything else until it's fixed. This is one reason the OT says it's not sensory. She also said that because it can be good one day and not the next that it's not sensory because sensory issues aren't resolved overnight. He seems to be open to a wide variety of textures and flavors in food.

It's so confusing and the more I look, the more I see evidence of one or the other and then begin to wonder if I'm looking too hard and seeing things that aren't even there. That's why the insights of other mothers who have dealt with similar issues is so so valuable to me right now. If you've read this whole post, you must be a saint! I'd love to hear your thoughts!!
Old 11-02-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
DiapeyMom
Registered Users
seller

As I've learned, anything is possible. My dd is 2.5 yrs old and still has reflux. She takes Prevacid for it. There are babies that don't grow out of it at all, or grow out of it much later than 1 year old. So, that is definitely a possibility. The way your baby throws up when reclined after a bottle sounds like reflux, but I'm not a dr so it would be best to be rx'ed by one.

If you feel something is going on inside of him, I would definitely take him to a dr or a Pediatric GI if possible. Our OT and feeding team knew a lot about sensory issues and that sort of thing so if they are not saying that's it, then it probably isn't. Again, go with your gut.

When you see a dr about it, be sure to write down everything that is going on with your baby and bring in a copy of all medical records so that he can look and have all info available for questions. They may put him on meds right away and see if it helps. That is one way to tell.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 11-02-2006, 03:00 PM   #8
ChoiceSoaps
Registered Users

Thanks, Jennifer! I'm hoping to get some answers soon!
Old 11-02-2006, 03:00 PM   #9
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

My ds is almost 3 and still has reflux. It is unlikely he will ever outgrow it at this point. He is on an adult dose of medications too. He had a hard time with solids too. I used to have to puree stage 3 baby foods because he wouldn't eat anything that required chewing until he was almost 18 months old. He still has issues but it has gotten better. Meat is hard for him and pretzels freak him out.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote