View Poll Results: Do you make your kids eat the fruits/veggies they don't like?
Yep, all of 'em 45 18.99%
Nope we don't force the issue 144 60.76%
Other (please explain) 48 20.25%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
Primm_n_Proper_Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do you make your kids eat the <FRIUTS/VEGGIES> they don't like?

Just wondering... we have a friends 7 year old staying with us for the weekend and he's 1) thrown the food he doesn't like , 2) told me he'll tell his mom I made him eat applesauce , 3) spit his milk on the floor cause he doesn't like it . I think its crazy man- ITS NOT EVEN BEEN 24 HOURS YET!!

we have a all fruits and veggies policy here...even if they don't like them. I give the kids that don't like them a smaller serving, but they are expected to eat it all...even if that means sitting at the table until they do.

For protiens/carbs its a take the same # of bites as you are old policy.

And...if you want more of anything, you need to clean your plate first

When we first got the kids, Abby at NO fruits or veggies, and Owen would only eat Bananas. We had a good few months of struggles, but now they know to eat all the fruits/veggies without complaints the majority of the time

Advertisement

Last edited by Primm_n_Proper_Baby; 10-18-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Primm_n_Proper_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
Emmaleigh3699
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do you make your kids eat the <FRITS/VEGGIES> they don't like?

my son will NOT eat peaches - won't do it, can't make him. We have a one bite policy you take one bite, you try it and if you like it then great, if you don't then thats fine too - at least you tried. Half the time, he tries something and realizes its the best thing EVER and asks for more - much more. If he doesn't want it, doesn't like it, and won't eat it then why have the power struggle? Thats all it really is, a power struggle. Pick your battles. Meal times need to be the least stressful time of the day - its when the family comes together and has some quality time. I don't let my son walk all over me just because its meal time, but I don't participate in his power struggles either.
Emmaleigh3699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
becjacobson
Registered Users

My Mood:

I made all the kids baby food to get them used to the taste of real veggies and fruits. Our oldest will try anything and really loves both veggies and fruits. Youngest is just started, but the same way I did with our oldest. I always have had the try one bite rule. If you don't like it after that, then you don't have to eat it. I actually haven't had to use it yet though because they will eat anything.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
Primm_n_Proper_Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know what you mean with the power struggles, and yep, thats what it is. And, food is one of the most important things you can give your body that helps you grow big, strong and healthy.

This kiddo that is staying with us won't eat anything but a very small selection of foods (chicken nuggets, cheese sticks, EGGO waffles, hard boiled eggs). How can he possibly maintain his health with a diet like that?

And, especially with a large family, if one doesn't have to eat thier fruits and veggies no one will. I'm so not short order cookin' .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaleigh3699 View Post
my son will NOT eat peaches - won't do it, can't make him. We have a one bite policy you take one bite, you try it and if you like it then great, if you don't then thats fine too - at least you tried. Half the time, he tries something and realizes its the best thing EVER and asks for more - much more. If he doesn't want it, doesn't like it, and won't eat it then why have the power struggle? Thats all it really is, a power struggle. Pick your battles. Meal times need to be the least stressful time of the day - its when the family comes together and has some quality time. I don't let my son walk all over me just because its meal time, but I don't participate in his power struggles either.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
tiredmommyof8
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

From a personal experience from my childhood I don't make anyone eat anything they don't want. My dh and I got into a huge fight once when he was trying to force one of the kids to eat green beans. WTH. It made me so mad I could have rung his neck. This is the kid that eats all kinds of weird things (mushrooms, brussel sprouts, collards) but hates green beans. I think it is wrong to make someone eat something they don't like. I prepare well balanced meals and encourage my children to eat diverse things and I always give them some of everything I have prepared but if they don't eat it it is their own fault. I will not be a short order cook either. I hate fresh tomatoes and if someone made me eat them I would throw up .

Kate~ Now an exhausted Mommy of 9!
ISO/IHA
tiredmommyof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
LilyGrace
Registered Users

We have a one bite rule, and it doesn't matter the bite size. I would be a hypocrite if I did anything more. I hate certain veggies so I will not eat an entire serving of them, but I can handle one bite. If they can see a grown up going through the same process of learning to like new foods it doesn't seem like such a strange or pointless rule.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
Knits on Earth
Registered Users
Formerly: eden/averymumm
seller

My Mood:

too much evidence around food struggles and eating disorders! I don't press the issue at all with the little ones. just encourage them to try things. big kids have to taste a food before they reject it. but there is no forcing, they do it when asked. all the kids love lots of fruits and veggies anyhow. my twins love to feed each other baby spinach!

Knits on Earth, custom knits
Knits on Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
mom2piddle
Registered Users
seller

We have the you must at least try it rule becasue all of the kids tastes change...one day they may not like broccoli...a month later it may be their fav veggie!
Old 10-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #9
Knits on Earth
Registered Users
Formerly: eden/averymumm
seller

My Mood:

my parents wasted a ton of time and energy battling about food too.

Knits on Earth, custom knits
Knits on Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
Primm_n_Proper_Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eden/averymumm View Post
my parents wasted a ton of time and energy battling about food too.
My opinion, but I don't know that I buy this take on it. We DID battle for a few months, but our kids are great about it now. The only complaints we get are from Abby on berries. And even then, she pushes them around her plate a few times, eats them and moves on. We've been REALLY consistent about it from the get-go and they know that we eat them because they are good for us just the same as we eat treats because we LIKE them.

And if the kids don't like something, we intentionally only give them a 2-3 bite portion of it.