View Poll Results: Do you make your kids eat the fruits/veggies they don't like?
Yep, all of 'em 45 18.99%
Nope we don't force the issue 144 60.76%
Other (please explain) 48 20.25%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2008, 03:57 PM   #11
melissa5
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do you make your kids eat the <FRITS/VEGGIES> they don't like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primm_n_Proper_Baby View Post
My opinion, but I don't know that I buy this take on it. We DID battle for a few months, but our kids are great about it now. The only complaints we get are from Abby on berries. And even then, she pushes them around her plate a few times, eats them and moves on. We've been REALLY consistent about it from the get-go and they know that we eat them because they are good for us just the same as we eat treats because we LIKE them.

And if the kids don't like something, we intentionally only give them a 2-3 bite portion of it.
Do you eat everything that you don't like? All of it?

Advertisement

melissa5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #12
eco-baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have the one bite policy as well but we also have a you're allowed to absolutly hate and not eat 3 items (lol b/c mine are liver & cauliflower )but choose them wisely

We do however have a MAJOR NO RUDNESS policy and that kid would not be welcome in my ome again and his parents would be an earful from me...that's unaceptable behaviour and my kids would be in SO MUCH TROUBLE if I EVER heard of them disrespecting people like that...

Go on then, tell your mom on me, I don't care, b/c maybe your mom'll think twice before sending your rude little butt over here again, MY HOUSE, MY RULES - he spit milk on your floor?? I think the issue is RUDNESS not not eating veggies ykwim?

Wow poor you mama, I hope his mom doesn't feed that attitude on him...brutal.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #13
Primm_n_Proper_Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa5 View Post
Do you eat everything that you don't like? All of it?

Sure, I mean I plan our menues to the likes of the majority, so really - we don't make brussle sprouts (only one kids likes them) for example. Its not like we're trying to set them up for failure . But they are expected to eat thier little serving of what they are given as are we even if we don't like it.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:09 PM   #14
lissieanne
Registered Users

My Mood:

For mine, if it's something simple like corn and/or green beans we'll do their age. So even if it's silly, my daughter will have her 4 kernels of corn and she's done, LOL. Which, honestly, if it was a huge battle I would try another veggie with her or not make that particular one on a regular basis - BUT my kids will refuse to eat something one night (like green beans in Shepard's Pie) and then turn around and have *3* helpings the next night when they're prepared by themselves, just beans and a little salt!

I like for them to try things, I really think it helps develop their tastes and such, most of it I did when they were younger and everything was something knew, yk? Both of my kids love Thai, Chinese, Mexican, just about anything you can think of - including spicy foods - they love but I did give them a lot of these things as they were growing up, etc. It would be hard with someone visiting or staying with you as you're sort of at square one and lost at what to do. But my kids also know how to be polite and for the most part, when we're at someone's house, it's THEIR rules for what they need to eat... unlike milk-spitting boy. YIKES! Good luck!
my blog//lissieanne
lissieanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #15
Iseult
Registered Users

My Mood:

Nah, I don't make them eat what they don't like. I encourage them to try everything, and my dd will at least taste things. Ds1 will not eat one.single.vegetable, though. I always put it on his plate, but I never make him eat.
Iseult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:12 PM   #16
Primm_n_Proper_Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco-baby View Post
We have the one bite policy as well but we also have a you're allowed to absolutly hate and not eat 3 items (lol b/c mine are liver & cauliflower )but choose them wisely

We do however have a MAJOR NO RUDNESS policy and that kid would not be welcome in my ome again and his parents would be an earful from me...that's unaceptable behaviour and my kids would be in SO MUCH TROUBLE if I EVER heard of them disrespecting people like that...

Go on then, tell your mom on me, I don't care, b/c maybe your mom'll think twice before sending your rude little butt over here again, MY HOUSE, MY RULES - he spit milk on your floor?? I think the issue is RUDNESS not not eating veggies ykwim?

Wow poor you mama, I hope his mom doesn't feed that attitude on him...brutal.
I think you're right. He's so not used to doing ANYTHING that he doesn't want to do. I mean, we're not food freaks here. I took all five kids to McD's last night to EAT and play . He THREW the cheeseburger across the room because he wanted a happy meal! I did give him the look of death and he went over and picked it up (and ate some of it). Maybe I'm attributing it all to food as it's really all we've done so far practicaly .

We picked him up at 6 last night, went to McD's, came home to bed (which also was a nightmare - he wouldn't stay in bed!), got up, watched some cartoons, ate breakfast, played outside, ate lunch and here we are .
Old 10-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #17
kasatk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i'm not a short order cook

i fix 2 vegies, 1meat, 1fruit for our main meal...i try to fix at least 1 thing i know they like.

you eat what is on your plate or you don't eat...choice is yours.

if you don't want to eat you don't have to..but you have to sit at the table with us and be nice while we eat.

if you spit your drink or toss your food...you stand facing the wall

Last edited by kasatk; 10-18-2008 at 04:16 PM.
kasatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #18
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't make them eat things they don't like. It goes on their plate but if they don't want to eat it that's fine. As they get older they "forget" they didn't like something & will eat it.

I also would NEVER make a child that wasn't mine eat something,
Old 10-18-2008, 04:16 PM   #19
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I voted other b/c DD likes everything. Seriously. We went out to a Mexican restaurant the other day, and I thought there were bell peppers on top of my entree and I don't like those, so I fed them to DD. Well then I encountered a perfectly little round "tip" slice and realized I'd been feeding her jalapenos. LOL. She just sat there and ate them up like nothing.
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #20
Primm_n_Proper_Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
I don't make them eat things they don't like. It goes on their plate but if they don't want to eat it that's fine. As they get older they "forget" they didn't like something & will eat it.

I also would NEVER make a child that wasn't mine eat something,
I told him if he wanted more Eggos he'd need to eat his applesauce first. He apparently wanted more Eggos (he ate the applesauce) but felt I MADE him eat his applesauce .

ETA: if his mom has a problem with it, she probably should have packed enough chicken nuggets, cheese sticks, Eggos, and hardboiled eggs to get him through the weekend . I made the Eggos just because I knew he liked them .

Last edited by Primm_n_Proper_Baby; 10-18-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Primm_n_Proper_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote