View Poll Results: Do you make your kids eat the fruits/veggies they don't like?
Yep, all of 'em 45 18.99%
Nope we don't force the issue 144 60.76%
Other (please explain) 48 20.25%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #21
grace_n_josie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you make your kids eat the <FRITS/VEGGIES> they don't like?

We have a one bite rule...You try one bite of it, if you don't like it...fine. But you HAVE to try it...we just started enforcing this. I am not a short order cook. I make dinner for the family...not for one person. Sorry! You eat or you go hungry...But I do like the idea of having 3 foods that you absolutly hate being the exception....

Also, I was forced to always clean my plate and I will tell you that I think being forced to eat can lead to obesity (and think that it part of the reason that I was a bigger child).

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #22
Primm_n_Proper_Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace_n_josie View Post
We have a one bite rule...You try one bite of it, if you don't like it...fine. But you HAVE to try it...we just started enforcing this. I am not a short order cook. I make dinner for the family...not for one person. Sorry! You eat or you go hungry...But I do like the idea of having 3 foods that you absolutly hate being the exception....

Also, I was forced to always clean my plate and I will tell you that I think being forced to eat can lead to obesity (and think that it part of the reason that I was a bigger child).

I do too. We just might adopt that one! This way Patrick can have his stinky brussle sprouts and the rest of us won't have to suffer through the gagging
Old 10-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #23
kendra1178
Registered Users
seller

I voted "NO"

We don't make them eat things they don't like. How can you make them?

I am unwilling to have a power struggle about food. I am also unwilling to feed my children unhealthy foods.

Here's what we do. We feed them small portions of everything, expecting them to ask for seconds. They do need to eat everything before they get seconds, and when they do get seconds, we typically give them some of everything again (maybe some extra of what they really liked best though).

If they decide they won't eat what was served, they can make the decision to be hungry until it's time for the next meal or snack. It won't hurt them to miss a meal here and there (by their own choice), AND if they are actually hungry, they are more likely to be open to what is being served. I am NOT going to make them special/different food as a reward for being picky.

There are some exceptions that we make. We have tolerance for a few dislikes, and we respect that. My oldest son does not like mushrooms. I still cook with mushrooms because the rest of us like them. But I either make them small so he can eat them without being grossed out, or big so he can pick them out. However, I don't fall for him being grossed out by everything. If we are having veggie stir fry, I allow him to pick one (maybe 2, depending how diverse it is) item to pick out.

Oh, and the veggie stir fry is one of the meals that the kids groaned about and sometimes chose to go hungry that meal. The was just a few months ago. Now, if they hear we are having stir fry they cheer. Go figure.

Last edited by kendra1178; 10-18-2008 at 04:37 PM.
kendra1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #24
knoxmama81
Registered Users
seller

I have my kids eat one bite of everything to at least try it. If they don't eat most of their food, and at least try a disliked item they won't get anything else to eat or dessert.
knoxmama81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:49 PM   #25
clothmamaof4
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I make them eat at least one bite at each meal within reason, I know there are some things that I can't expect a child to eat and don't even give themto them and 2 of my children have an aversion to slimy things like peaches. My 3 yr old is too young to reason with so I don't bother. I don't force them to eat everything on their plate because I am not going to give my children an eating disorder, whenthey say they are full then they are done and if they say they've had enough of one thing but want something of another thing as long as they have eaten at least a couple bites of their other foods then I give them more. There are foods that I can only take a few bites of that started out tasting good then start making me nauseated as I eat them, like today with the Mac n Cheese at lunch, it started out tasting yummy and about 3 bites later I thought I'd puke if I took another bite and my children are just as human as I am and can only take so much of some foods before it's enough. I give them well rounded meals, make sure they eat at least a bite or two of everything and they dictate how much they ultimately eat but they cannot get snacks if they are hungry later if they didn't eat their dinner. The no snacks if you didn't eat rule is my only firm rule with the exception of the babies, they are too young to know better.
clothmamaof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #26
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:

I don't. I mean, I wouldn't like to be forced to eat something I don't like, why would I force my child. I do have them taste everything though. If they like it great, if they don't oh well. But they at least have to taste it.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #27
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We dont make him eat food here, however if he scoffs at something I know he likes and then wants cookies, not.a.chance. He is only two right now but I don't see us ever "forcing" him to eat any amount of anything. If he doesn't want what I make that I know he likes and will eat he can have a healthy snack alternative but he most certainly can not have cookies.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:03 PM   #28
Nikkis_Little_Ladies
Registered Users
Formerly: Nikk25_3
seller

My Mood:

I voted other, only because my kids rearely don't like something. Seriously, I don't think there's a vegie or fruit that mine wont eat. They love brussel sprouts, collards, spinach, asparagus, beans, squash, zuccine...

The only things I can't get them to eat are tomatos and onions. But thats okay, they can live with out those two.

As for fruit, theres really nothing they wont eat there.
Nikkis_Little_Ladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:07 PM   #29
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

not all of them, but they have to make an attempt to eat some! Taste buds change over time and also repeated exposure to certain foods will eventually turn into a "liked" food! I give my children fruits and veggied for their health, I am responsible for the health of my children and I will not just let them eat whatever they want just because they don't like the healthy food I fix.
My oldest LOVES any an all green veggies and actually begs and pleads for brussell sprout EVERY night while my middle ons screams and cries that he doesn't want them. On the nights we do have them, my oldest gets a heaping serving of them and them sometimes will still ask for more... I make Ian eat ONE, that's it! After 2 years of crying over not liking them and having to only eat one each time... the last time we had them, he asked for another one and said he thinks he likes it now
JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #30
jraejohnson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

first of all i would politely tell your friends child that throwing food and spitting drinks out is an unacceptable behavior for someone his age. and that although he is a guest he should not act that way. i would then maybe ask the child why he doesn't like certain foods. my son is 4 and autistic. he ate pureed foods until he was 2 1/2 of course we had feeding therapy from a speech therapist. he has sensory integration (sp?) dysfunction. he can't handle certain textures in his mouth. it has taken us a long time to graduate from purreed to canned to now steamed veggies and even then he gags at times. but vegetables and meat are especially hard on children that have sensory issues. they require a lot more chewing than fruit (aside from apples). maybe he can tell you why he doesn't like fruit and veggies. i know my 4 year old tells me he cant eat peaches because they are too slimy. I don't know if this is making any sense or not. Plus it is probably a power struggle and it sounds like he is winning. I know kids can get on kicks and only eat certain foods. it can take as many as 30 times of introducing a new food before a child will really like it. i would have a talk with him mom. i would tell her her child is going to really suffer if she doesnt start offering variety on a daily basis and if he doesnt eat it just serve at next meal i am sure he will eventually relent and try.