Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
Cindydg
Registered Users

My Mood:
Napping Question

My DS turned one on Wednesday. Since then he has refused his AM nap, whhen we do get him to lay down then he refuses the PM Nap. Could he be switching to one nap? Ugg, I thought that was later around 18 months. I am hoping its all the new toys, grandma in town for a visit etc....any ideas?

Advertisement

Cindydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:49 PM   #2
MandyLee
Registered Users
seller

Re: Napping Question

My DD started giving up her morning nap around 13ish months. Sometimes she would nap in the morning, but then she wouldn't want to nap again until 5pm. We went through a phase for a few weeks where she was only taking one nap, but she couldn't hold out until after lunch, so she would sleep from about 11-1:00, and then she'd be exhausted by dinnertime. We had a few crazy weeks, but now at 17 months, she's down to one nap and we're back to a routine. I was not looking forward to only one nap, but it turns out that she sleeps for 3 hours, so it works out well.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
whalvo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It takes a little while to transition, but refusal of the morning nap is usually a sign that they're ready to go down to one nap. When this happens varies from child to child. My dd transitioned around 15 months, but I have a friend who's DS went down to one nap on his own at 9 months, and my niece didn't go down to one nap until 18 months. I think 18 months is on the late end of the spectrum and the average is closer to 12-15 months, but that's IME.

You may find they are not getting the amount of napping that they had for some time. It took some getting used to for my DD, when she started the one nap schedule her naps were only 1-1.5 hours and she'd be exhausted by 5pm. After a few weeks, though, they lengthened and now she takes a 2.5-4 hour nap each day. It's bliss...

Good luck, mama!

Last edited by whalvo; 10-18-2008 at 10:53 PM.
whalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
Blankie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS is 10 months old and already giving up his morning nap. If he still takes it, it usually 20 minutes or so. I started to put him down around 11.30 am and he naps for two hours now.
Blankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:57 PM   #5
jpicasso
Registered Users
seller

It's probably that time. My oldest DD went to one nap around 15 months, my youngest DD went to one nap around 10 months.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
diaperangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd started "talking" in her crib instead of sleeping at around 1 year...I thought I was going to lose my mind...that's when I did my house work

Once I accepted the transition, it was fine. We have a new routine and she takes a two hour afternoon nap If she gives that up...

Sounds like it's that time mama
SAHM to my two little "angels" Klara and Xavier Preggos with #3 Catholic, sport-loving, CD'ing, Health nut
diaperangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
jazter
Registered Users
seller

I started needing to put my kid down later than he had been going down for the first nap, so 3-4 hours instead of 2-3, which in turn made the pm nap later. and widening the interval between naps also. Then he started only briefly napping in the afternoon if he slept at all. He was so fussy by evening and wasn't sleeping long enough during the day. What made a difference for a while was waking him up after an hour or 45 min in the morning so he still got a nap and then letting him sleep it out in the afternoon. And then over the course of a week, he just went all of a sudden to one nap. I'm still figuring out what time is best, but the transition can be sudden.
jazter is offline   Reply With Quote