Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
Cyniedamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Those who read No-cry-sleep-solution! Help!!! I'm goin crazy!!!

DS is about 6 mo and sleep is terrible. Everytime its time for sleep, if he doesn't nurse to sleep, all hell breaks loose. I guess I just don't know how to soothe him to sleep. When I do get him to sleep, it involves a lot of crying and screaming, sometimes on both our parts For those who have read the book What the heck do I need to be doing? Its been an hour that I've been trying to get him to sleep and I'm at my wits end,pulling my hair out. I've ordered the book already, but I need a quick synopsis before I go insane. I can't wait for the book!!!!
Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ETA: We have a night/naptime routine too! It just slowly stopped working. Now he only naps 30-45 min and is tired again within an hour of waking

Advertisement

Last edited by Cyniedamom; 10-18-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Cyniedamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
shelbell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Those who read No-cry-sleep-solution! Help!!! I'm goin crazy!!!

I read it a few months back but dd almost always nurses to sleep. Can I ask why you're opposed to your ds nursing to sleep? Do you co-sleep or does he sleep in a crib/bassinet? Can you transfer him from arms to bed? DD nursed to sleep and then I could leave her in bed when we co-slept but now she either nurses down or dh gives her a bottle to go to sleep and then she gets transferred to her crib. When she wakes the first time I nurse her in bed and she's in with us the rest of the night. The book is not a quick fix and I used parts of it but we really let dd be the guide.
shelbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
emilyinmichigan
Registered Users
seller

I agree with pp - it's a good book but it isn't a quick fix. When DS was small, I nursed him to sleep then waited about 15-20 minutes before transferring him to his crib. That way, he was sound asleep before I moved him.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
Cyniedamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry I think you misunderstood me, I'd love for him to nurse to sleep, but when he's done nursing and didn't fall asleep,all hell breaks loose and its terrible. Nursing to sleep doesn't always work. =/ Its very hard for me to get him to sleep. I guess I'm a bad mommy, I can't soothe him...
We cosleep too. We nurse side lying and most of the time it does the trick but not always... Ugh, I was really hoping the book would help

Last edited by Cyniedamom; 10-18-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
Grrchurch03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You're not a bad mommy. I picked that book up at the library and it didn't work for us, it was soo much work (as anything worthwhile is, I realize this) but my dd has always been very high needs and it didn't help for us. The jist of it is to get your child attached to a lovey (blankie, animal, etc) get some sleep cues like music, a word, a routine(bath, story, rocking, etc) to let baby when it is time to start calming down and getting ready for sleep. I don't remember much else about it. I hope others can help you, I know it's rough, and now dd is almost 2 I can say that, but I know when it was at it's most difficult, it felt like the difficulties were all there was. Good luck!
Old 10-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
shelbell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyniedamom View Post
I'm sorry I think you misunderstood me, I'd love for him to nurse to sleep, but when he's done nursing and didn't fall asleep,all hell breaks loose and its terrible. Nursing to sleep doesn't always work. =/ Its very hard for me to get him to sleep. I guess I'm a bad mommy, I can't soothe him...
We cosleep too. We nurse side lying and most of the time it does the trick but not always... Ugh, I was really hoping the book would help
You are NOT a bad mommy. What about nursing him in a sling or wrap until he falls asleep? You can move around and the motion might soothe him. You can take the whole sling/wrap off and lay him down in it until he's good and asleep and then take it off. My sis has a very (very!) fussy baby and the car works for them. What about going outside for a few minutes and then trying bed again? How old is he? Does swaddling help?

Last edited by shelbell; 10-18-2008 at 08:11 PM.
shelbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
hillybean
Registered Users

My Mood:

I may not be much help since I'm a firm believer in the Baby Whisperer, and I'm not B****** anymore, but I just wanted to ask...is he teething? It kinda sounds like if this is an "all of a sudden" thing, he may be having some gum pain. We had DD on a great routine, sleeping through the night, etc, but when she hit 4-5 months, teething hit us hard! Once we figured that out things got a lot better. Hugs again, I know it's hard!
Hi! I'm Hillary, mama to two beautiful girlies, Avery Lauren 2/15/08, and Carleigh Louise 8/16/10, and wifey to Trav the eternal romantic "There's no earthly way of knowing, which direction we are going" ~Willy Wonka
hillybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:17 PM   #8
Cyniedamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Swaddling is really hit or miss. Sometimes he loves it, others he just screams and screams. I'm not too sure if its teething, He already has his bottom 2 teeth in and I don't feel any teeth buds up top...
I don't think using a lovey would work, I keep everything far away from him cause anything he can grab he'll play with forever.
*sigh* I guess I just got to keep on keepin on. I guess thats parenthood for you.. ya ya ya. i know all things do pass. But this stinks!
Old 10-19-2008, 06:59 AM   #9
Ami in Deutschland
Registered Users

My Mood:

Could it be that he's still hungry? I started feeding DS solids around 6 month after he stopped being satisfied with his evening BF session. He didn't eat much at first, but a larger evening meal seemed to be what he needed.

I just read the No Cry Sleep Solution and we making a few changes to DS's sleep routine (dimmer lights, slightly longer bedtime routine with cuddling) right now. It takes time. The book recommends a 10 logging period followed by 10 days of changed routine then 10 logging new routine results. So it's not a quick fix at all.

We are having sleep problems right now and it has to do with DS changing his napping schedule (not getting a good nap) and still being hungry at night. What do you think your baby is missing? Is he just tired or could he be hungry, teething, sick, etc.? If he's *just* tired, the best suggestion from the book is to move UP bedtime, so he doesn't reach that meltdown stage. You try to put the baby down to sleep at the beginnings of the tired phase, not the end.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:41 AM   #10
mom2grrls
Registered Users
seller

Has he learned a new skill like crawling or sitting up? That can sometimes mess with their sleep cause they want to keep going with their new skill. The No Cry Sleep Solution is not a quick fix, it does have some good info and advice for sleeping though. This will pass