View Poll Results: Do you get your Kiddos Flu Shots?
Yes, Always! 13 13.00%
NO, Never! 66 66.00%
It depends! 9 9.00%
I'm Undecided! 10 10.00%
Other, there always has to be a other! 2 2.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-19-2008, 06:18 PM   #11
Primm_n_Proper_Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Flu Shots ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorfmama View Post
We all get them. 2 of my daughters have asthma, one fairly bad. If they got the flu, it would probably mean a hospital stay. As far as getting the flu from the flu shot, it is not possible. The shot contains a dead virus. It is a myth that you can get it from the shot.

If my daughters didn't have asthma, I probably wouldn't get one (mostly because I wouldn't take the time to do it). I don't know if I would still get them for the kids since I've never been in that position. We didn't get them before my 2nd daughter's asthma diagnosis, but she was diagnosed fairly young.
Yep, Owen gets them every year (asthma) and I'm debating getting all the kids the flu shot this year. Last winter Olivia (then around 3 mos) caught influenze from Patrick. The only reason we caught her being sick was because we in the docs office for Patrick. It was so weird, she was fine when we left the house, by the time we pulled into the parking lot at the docs she had a fever, was all flush and unconsolable. They caught it in time to give her the tamiflu thing. She was still miserably sick (with scary high fevers) for about 4 days. She would have been hospitalized if we hadn't caught it right away.

So...this year I'm seriously considering getting all the kids vac.

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #12
Dorothy'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
Hmmm, not my experience. The flu shot protects against Influenza, not a stomach virus. The flu typically lasts 1-2wks in a healthy person, but much longer in an unhealthy or weakened immune-system person, child, etc.
This is true! I started getting flu shots at 15 and the 2 years since then that I haven't gotten them I got so sick from Influenza.... over 102 fever for more than a week, could hardly breathe, coughing for weeks afterward. We are all getting flu shots this week. My daughter gets croupy with the slightest cold. I don't even want to know what she'd be like with the flu.

The stomach flu is NOT Influenza. There is no vaccine for gastrointestinal viruses.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:25 PM   #13
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We get them yearly.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #14
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Never never never. I think the flu shot is the biggest load of crap ever. We DID actually get the flu last year and it was horrible, I was sick for 2 weeks, so was DH, but out son never got it! But nearly everyone got the flu last year, shot or not, as the shot was completely ineffective.

Anyways, despite of what I think of it, the shot's been proven to be ineffective before age 5 or 6, so there's no reason to even consider it before then. (And it's rarely effective after)

ETA: And it's true that the shot will not infect you with the flu, but all the side effects of the shot mimic flu symptoms, so even though it's not the actual flu, it can feel just like it (if you were to get those symptoms). The FluMist DOES shed though, so really anyone who gets that is spreading the flu to anyone they come across. Great plan, huh? *sigh*

Last edited by JustAugust; 10-19-2008 at 06:49 PM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:50 PM   #15
Primm_n_Proper_Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
Never never never. I think the flu shot is the biggest load of crap ever. We DID actually get the flu last year and it was horrible, I was sick for 2 weeks, so was DH, but out son never got it! But nearly everyone got the flu last year, shot or not, as the shot was completely ineffective.

Anyways, despite of what I think of it, the shot's been proven to be ineffective before age 5 or 6, so there's no reason to even consider it before then. (And it's rarely effective after)
For INFLUENZA or the 'flu'? Do you have links to the info. I've found otherwise, so if you have data I'd love to see it. We've discussed this issue back and forth in our house. TIA!

ETA: Owen has gotten the flu shot every year for the last 4 years (so since around age 5) because of his asthma. He's never gotton influenza BUT he sure has gotten pnumonia (sp?) several times since. He's just prone to having small colds turn big....I don't know what would happen to him if he got influenza - it would likely be another hospital stay .

Last edited by Primm_n_Proper_Baby; 10-19-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Primm_n_Proper_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:50 PM   #16
VMnFAM
Registered Users

My Mood:

We got them last year because we had an infant. This year, I think only DH will get one because he works in the hospital. We still have more researching to do before I am 100% comfortable.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #17
zacks_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We all get the flu vaccines for a few reasons. I have asthma and the last time I got the flu (even with the shot), I landed in the hospital with severe pneumonia (can't afford to do that again!). Because I have asthma and ds has already tested positive for allergies, there is a 90% chance he will develop asthma in his lifetime. Since he is at daycare, there is a higher chance that he will get sick with something. One of the kiddos at daycare has heart issues and another has asthma, so we try to protect them as well and not pass bugs!
Old 10-19-2008, 06:57 PM   #18
mlbarbian1205
Registered Users
seller

We do not do the flu shot. It is one of the shots that still contains mercury (since it's not only for children). Also, since I learned that they basically "guess" which strains to include in the shot every year, even if they get it, it doesn't mean it is going to protect against the right strains (take last year for example, they got it wrong). Just my opinion.
mlbarbian1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:00 PM   #19
militarymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are military & they only give the flu shots to active duty soldiers, hospital workers, teachers, the elderly, children 2 & under & children certain medical conditions that if they were to get the flu could cause them to be sicker than a "healthy" person. That said, DH sort of has to get it. Eden is in the age range, but will not be getting it. Cadence, on the other hand, has asthma (we are just getting off steriods, round the clock treatments & antibiotics for flares & pneumonia & it is only October!!) so she WILL be getting it. Everyone else here can handle a few days of being sick.

Missing my Soldier who is currently in Afghanistan
militarymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:02 PM   #20
kat7597
Registered Users

My Mood:

We do not get the flu vax. I've never been comfortable with it. The only year I caved and got it was when my ds was an infant...we all got it because he was a preemie. Ironically, it was the only year we all got the flu (diagnosed via nose swabs as Influenza A).

Flumist is imo responsible for spreading the illness. People get the mist and then go on w/ their routines while they are shedding the virus - therefore exposing everyone they come in contact with. Great idea

Kimberly
kat7597 is offline   Reply With Quote