Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2006, 10:22 AM   #1
westend
Banned
seller

Any advice please..behavior issues...

Ok, so I am a first time mom, still learning the ropes in most cases. Recently
considering NO VAX. I was bullied into getting her 18mth shots, I have not consented to the MMR, we do have an appt on NOv.7 and will not be getting it then either.
Now since the 18mth shots my daughter has changed, or maybe its just her age...
She has been biting herself, leaving considerable marks. having NUMEROUS tantrums, pulling her hair and banging her head and won't stop screaming....
it usually takes her 10-15 in most cases to calm down...

She does have some words, but its the tantrums and aggressive behavior that has me worried, is this normal toddler behavior?

She is 19mths now.

Can anyone help me to handle the tantrums or offer any advice?

Thanks in advance, a worried mama

Advertisement

Last edited by westend; 11-01-2006 at 10:28 AM.
westend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any advice please..behavior issues...

Sounds like ages and stages to me.
All my kids seem to hit an age where they try all that stuff on. Consistancy in how you deal with it seems to work best for us. Then they know what is acceptable and what isn't.
Toddlers are fun
Old 11-01-2006, 10:55 AM   #3
wass726
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi,

I am a special education teacher (preschool aged children right now but used to work with infants and toddlers). Sounds like it could be alot of things. Head banging, biting etc. sometimes is an indicator that the child is in pain (headaches, ear infections etc.) And tantrums are pretty common for the 18 month old.

If you think her behavior is very different and you are this concerned I would suggest contacting an early intervention program through the Health Dept or your school district (depends on what state you are in). You would be able to have your child assessed at no cost to you. They will often come right to your house (just depends on where you live). Hopefully they would be able to tell you if it seemed like typical 19 month old behavior or not based upon your report and observing her. If nothing else it will give you piece of mind.

As far as dealing with behavior, I could try give you a few things I would use at work if you pm me with what you think sets off the behavior. This would be purely from my professional experience (my DS is only 3 months old so I can't speak from true parenting experience). I am sure some other moms might have truly home tested ideas to share.

What I can tell you now is that children who bite alot often need some sort of other oral stimulation:
try toothbrushing, chewing on crunchy things like pretzels, etc.

I am pretty worried about vaccines myself and understand your concerns. I know it's not much but i hope this helped a little.
wass726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
westend
Banned
seller

Thanks, I know toddlers can be this way, but its the aggressive bahavior that had/has me worried since she is such a calm child usually, plays well with others. I have just noticed this in the past month and she was even being aggressive with her older cousin to the point of almost making him cry. SOOO not DD's usual behavior, but she is growing all the time so I will keep an eye and hopefully its just agges and stages!!

THANKS
Old 11-01-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
westend
Banned
seller

wass726, I pm'd you! Thanks
Old 11-01-2006, 07:13 PM   #6
rds989
Registered Users
seller

My dd, who is usually about 3 mos early w/some emotional stuff (like stranger anxiety, separation anxiety, etc) started these awful tantrums about 15 mos. It was terrible. She's always been high needs, but never a tantrum kid, KWIM?

At any rate, we tried to stay calm through the fits, make sure she was in a safe place if she was really thrashing around, stuff like that. For the most part the worst was over in a couple of months. But at its worst it really sucked!

Odds are this is a phase and the proximity to vaxing is only a coincidence. Good luck, Mama! A fit-throwing toddler is not easy to deal with!!

My old DS feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...?topic=11507.0
rds989 is offline   Reply With Quote