Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2008, 01:25 AM   #1
ericak95
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Opinions or suggestions please.....

I'm up way past my bedtime, sorry if this gets long, lol -- hopefully others can give me some 1st hand experience.

DH and I are feeling a pinch to get ODD (just turned 5) into a preschool. I have gone back and forth and this time last year I was sure we would enroll her in it this year. But I only found 1 that fit my desires, and it was a lottery system and we didn't get in. Then I was going to try to get her in the community center class that the neighbor girl goes to, but decided it just didn't fit our schedule well enough.

Now I have decided that she probably does need a bit more "socialization" so I'd like to get her in a real dance, gymnastics, or karate class (as apposed to the community center classes). My problem is that she really wants to take dance, but I can't find a class that is given in the afternoon for her age. I can find 1 gymnastics class that starts at 4:30 that might work, and she has never seen karate (i think the discipline/respect would be good for her) so I'd have to take her to a class or 2 so she knows about it a little. I work M-F and take the kids to work with me until DH is off 12:30 then he has them until I get home 5-6pm. I can work my schedule to fit a late afternoon class or 2 a week.

My questions are for those of you who have school aged kids...

Did your kid go to preschool?

If they went to preschool did it help any?

Did you think your kid was "socially" ready for kindergarten?

If you could do it over again, what things would you teach or do differently?

BTW, I'm not so concerned with her academics, she is writing her name, spelling basic words in books, can write her numbers, ect.... Just worried for that 1st day of kindergarten when we walk her to class and leave her with strangers for the 1st time.

Erica

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008, 01:53 AM   #2
temichan
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Opinions or suggestions please.....

I'm up late too. This is the only time I have to myself, lol. Just wondering, if your DD is 5 why isn't she in kindergarten? The cut off date in Cali is 12-1. As far as socializing is concerned, I think it's very important. It also depends on the child. Some children are born social butterflies and pick up easily on social cues, while there are others who need extra help in social interactions. Pretty much any activity that involves interacting with peers and following directions is a good place to learn these skills.
temichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:58 AM   #3
ericak95
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here in Oregon kids need to be 5 on 9/1 her bday is 9/25. Her being my oldest it didn't even dawn on me til August maybe I should see if she could get in early and I found that all testing is done June / July.

Erica
Old 10-20-2008, 02:21 AM   #4
5babyz4me
Registered Users

I have 5 children. I also homeschool. I am not responding to convince you to HS. That is a choice for every family. But I wanted to make a comment on the socialization. Everyone always questions whether my kids will be properly socialized being home so much with me. How better to social a child so young than a parent. . .which your has had. We have never been able to afford classes or preschool for my older children. They continually blow people away with how friendly and well adjusted they are though. The classes just simply aren't need and it just creates extra worry for you. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't do them. If you have the ability, then go for it. But I don't think it's necessary.

My almost 6 yod (this coming Friday) had to attend a specialize speech program that was given freely by our local school district. It was our only option for speech therapy for her. She was SOOOOOO shy and probably had less "socialization" outside the home than her older sister and brother (who will talk to just about anyone.) She walked into that classroom and would barely let go of my hand. That was so hard for me considering it's one of the reasons we choose to HS. It was hard letting for on my baby as well. Wouldn't you know, after about 5 days, she had a best friends and couldn't wait to go to class (it was only 2 days a week in the afternoon.) And the friends she had made were bilingual so sometimes there was a language barrier. Out of all my kids, she had spent the most time with mom. Now she will make friends at the park and welcome new kids to her Sunday school class. She never had "classes" like you describe but she's well adjusted.

I wanted to share my experience with you to encourage you NOT to worry. I think you be VERY surprised to find just how well adjusted she is despite not having the normal socialization that is expected. Again, this is not a post to encourage homeschooling. I often have to defend myself against others attacks because of the socialization issue. But my kids are living proof and will often silence my attackers just by their friendliness and such.

If you can handle these classes then go for it. But have fun in the process and don't worry about the socialization. It will come for her.

wife to Chris (13 years)
mom of Jenny(10), Josh(8), Ally(7), Andrew(4), Josiah(2), Ashley (1), Baby Bean EDD May 2010
5babyz4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:56 AM   #5
ericak95
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5babyz4me View Post
I have 5 children. I also homeschool. I am not responding to convince you to HS. That is a choice for every family. But I wanted to make a comment on the socialization. Everyone always questions whether my kids will be properly socialized being home so much with me. How better to social a child so young than a parent. . .which your has had. We have never been able to afford classes or preschool for my older children. They continually blow people away with how friendly and well adjusted they are though. The classes just simply aren't need and it just creates extra worry for you. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't do them. If you have the ability, then go for it. But I don't think it's necessary.

My almost 6 yod (this coming Friday) had to attend a specialize speech program that was given freely by our local school district. It was our only option for speech therapy for her. She was SOOOOOO shy and probably had less "socialization" outside the home than her older sister and brother (who will talk to just about anyone.) She walked into that classroom and would barely let go of my hand. That was so hard for me considering it's one of the reasons we choose to HS. It was hard letting for on my baby as well. Wouldn't you know, after about 5 days, she had a best friends and couldn't wait to go to class (it was only 2 days a week in the afternoon.) And the friends she had made were bilingual so sometimes there was a language barrier. Out of all my kids, she had spent the most time with mom. Now she will make friends at the park and welcome new kids to her Sunday school class. She never had "classes" like you describe but she's well adjusted.

I wanted to share my experience with you to encourage you NOT to worry. I think you be VERY surprised to find just how well adjusted she is despite not having the normal socialization that is expected. Again, this is not a post to encourage homeschooling. I often have to defend myself against others attacks because of the socialization issue. But my kids are living proof and will often silence my attackers just by their friendliness and such.

If you can handle these classes then go for it. But have fun in the process and don't worry about the socialization. It will come for her.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. I didn't go to preschool and I was fine too -- We have 2 neighbor girls all within 3 months of each other and we play and have fun quite regularly. Since we're only around those girls it's hard to gage where she fits. Like she plays really well with 1 (moved in a year ago) they like the same things, and both have very vivid imaginations then the other girl (next door neighbor whom we've played with since they were 9mo old) when they get together neither likes to play the same thing at the same time and they fight like sisters. But of course they are best friends and really always want to play together.

Erica
Old 10-20-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know how hard it is to find activites for lo's when you work. Its amazing that these places don't schedule more things for the evening.

My 2 first graders attended 1 yr of pre-school before kindergarten. I think it helped them in the public school setting because they learned how to behave in a structured environment. How to sit quietly and listen, how to do the work when it was required instead of when they wanted to etc... We have never had discipline issues with them.

My nephew (also a 1st grader) did 2 yrs at a montessori. While I think these schools are great they have to be for the right kid and for him it did him a disservice. He has had nothing but issues because he can't adapt to the tradition school setting.

While I don't think pre-school is a requirement to be set for school finding something (as hard as it is) like dance or swim or gym would be good because she would learn about waiting her turn, speaking only when appropriate etc. These are things that used to be taught in kindergarten when we were young but have now been forced out so that kids learn to read. Stupid IMO.