Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-20-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Do I have to "train" him?

DS#1 just turned 3 yesterday. We have tried potty training off and on for over a year. I've tried lots of things. Most recently, a few weeks ago, we tried cold turky putting him in regular big boy underwear. It lasted a few days because he just couldn't stay dry and I'm really not interested in all the accidents, especially the poo ones. I was putting him on the potty every 30 minutes and then if he went I would let him go an hour before trying again. At first it was sort of working. Then, I would put him on, he would go, but 15-20 minutes later, he would go again in his pants. It's like he wasn't holding his urine and just going whenever like an infant does. (does that make sense?? ) So, while I really want him out of diapers, with twin infants also, I'm just not into the accidents and actual training. So I've heard people say that if you just show a child how to use the potty and give them frequent opportunities they will at some point just start doing it on their own without you having to "train" them. I've heard most boys will do this around age 3. So, my question is, is this hog wash or if I just wait will it just "happen"?? Am I crazy for not being super concerned about it and wanting to just sort of let it happen? (Although, give it another few months and it will be potty training boot camp. I can't do it forever. ) He still doesn't even ask me to change his diaper or care if he's poopy or wet. Urr. Give me some advice verteran moms.

Heather SAHM to 6 who are 7 and under, including 2 sets of twins and our last little miracle, a surviving identical twin, born Oct 2012!

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 10-20-2008 at 09:52 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Do I have to "train" him?

I feel your pain we are in the same boat. I'm ready to leave DS in diapers right now. I'm tired of the pee on the floor. I'm beginning to think its too soon. But then I don't want to loose the little bit that we have achieved so far. I hope someone has some advice.
~ Heidi ~ Christian Wife and Mom
DS ~ DD ~ DS
Rustic Barnyard - Custom Refinished Furniture
Join me on Swagbucks

rawheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
Registered Users
Formerly: cmarie14
My Mood:
Re: Do I have to "train" him?

I'm feeling the same way. Mine's just over 2.5, and he's showing all the signs - he's even staying dry at night! But he refuses to use the potty. We've been using 'sposies, so we've switched back to cloth and pull-ups, both of which he hates, in an effort to force him to choose the toilet over feeling luck so far...

Make it reusable! Wipe Solution, Wipes, Mama Cloth, Wet Bags, Unpaper towels, Food Baggies, & more!
WeeEssentials on Etsy
Gabe 3-06, Ezra 9-08, & Madeline 5-10 and Abigail 12/12!
WeeEssentials is offline   Reply With Quote