Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2006, 01:29 PM   #11
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Re: Going Unassisted?

Hannah was accidentally an unassisted birth. My labor went too fast, and dh ended up delivering her on the bedroom floor (hydrogen peroxide works wonders, btw!). I was very unprepared, so it was extremely painful for me, but I feel so blessed that we were able to do it that way. Dh was soooo proud that he got to catch his own baby. It really made me realize that OBs don't really do that much!!

Advertisement

SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:03 PM   #12
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There is no way I could do it. I would be way to worried something would go wrong. And I don't know what all I would need to do to get the baby good to go after birth or myself...what do you do if you need to be sewn up? Or if the baby has something wrong with it when it is born that requires immediate medical attention? Do you know how to clamp the cord and all that stuff??? Sorry, so many questions...it's just something that I truely don't know anything about...I had NO idea women would do this unassisted...lol I thouhgt the most extreme was a homebirth with a midwife...LOL

What does UC mean?

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:19 PM   #13
Quiverfillin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

UC=unassissted childbirth

I really love my MW, and feel better having her there. But she's a very hands off mw, only catching and applying some perineal massage so I didn't tear. Other than that, I did my thing.

Birth works. It's amazing how little meddling is required. Many, many "complications" are actually caused by medical intervention like fetal monitors & internal checks. OB's will tell you those things are essential for birthing a baby, but fetal monitors can lead to needless c-secs and internal checks dramatically increase the risk of infection! Birth was designed to work on its own, and it does.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:41 PM   #14
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do believe birth is a natural process...It was designed for us to do. I guess I personally would just not be comfortable because of all my fears. But I really admire those of you that do embrace this....it sounds like it can be a very peaceful entrance to the world...right on mommy's bed...how much better can it get...

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:53 PM   #15
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am so glad that I had an unassisted pregnancy and homebirth! Feeling trust and being aware of what to do in every possible situation are all you need!

Nature has so many cures for any possible problems. If you tear, there are alternatives to stitches...vitimin E oil, seaweed, comfrey. You can get a clamp for the chord, or just tie it with a shoelace. Those nose suctions bulbs work great for helping a baby start breathing if needed. Sheaperds Purse extract stops a hemmorage in 5 minutes! Many complications are caused by intervention, and natural risks are less likely. For example, cesareans are 50% of hospital births and 8% of homebirths. The hospital is always there if needed, but usually it's not.
I read a lot of Midwifery today and basically trained myself to be my own midwife.

About VBAC, I know a mama of 5 who had a cesarean for her first, and homebirths for the rest, 2 of which were twins!

Good luck, mama, you can do it! Have faith and trust that childbirth is an ancient, natural thing!
Old 05-16-2006, 08:24 PM   #16
lindsayncadence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you want to have a UC do you still go to an obgyn/midwife during the pregnancy ? trying to get resources for when we ttc!
lindsayncadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:30 PM   #17
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you want to get a birth certificate, you need to proove you were pregnant if there is no midwife or docter to witness the birth. So, you at least need to get a slip proving you are pregnant or else you can't get a birth certificate!
Old 05-16-2006, 09:31 PM   #18
lindsayncadence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ok i figured you went to the dr but what if they dont agree with UC??? I doubt highly doubt i can find anyone in my town to agree with it my obgyn is realllly hesistant to remove my iud even so im gonna go to another to get it out its just sad we dont have many midwives here only one and idk if they would agree
lindsayncadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:12 PM   #19
navars2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It sounds very nice in a lot of ways but I would not personally feel comfortable having one. I hemorhaged after my DD and am diabetic. My midwife/OB are very hands off, though, and and I've agreed with the medical interventions they requested.
navars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:09 AM   #20
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayncadence
ok i figured you went to the dr but what if they dont agree with UC??? I doubt highly doubt i can find anyone in my town to agree with it my obgyn is realllly hesistant to remove my iud even so im gonna go to another to get it out its just sad we dont have many midwives here only one and idk if they would agree
so..uh..don't tell them what you are planning lol. i think a lot of women who UC also UP (unnasisted pregnancy). for documentation i would just take pics of my face and belly (shirt lifted to see the real thing) and hold a newspaper with the date beside it and sort of track it, like weekly or monthly pics.