View Poll Results: Do you Nurse in Public?
Nope, not for me! 7 1.85%
Nope, but I wish I could do it! 9 2.38%
Yes, but we do it discretely! 183 48.41%
Yes, openly and proudly! 157 41.53%
Stopped NIPing past a certain age. 17 4.50%
The Notorious Other 5 1.32%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #31
knoxmama81
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do You Nurse in Public?

I nurse in public, but try to be discreet. At home I just pull my boob out, even in front of my girls. If family is around, like in laws or something I use my nursing cover. If I'm out in about I usually nurse in the passenger seat of my car and I don't use a cover in the car. I try to nurse in the room at the doctor's office if possible. I use dressing rooms if I'm shopping. But, if baby was hungry I would nurse wherever I was.

Advertisement

knoxmama81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:19 PM   #32
cbeehler3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indysteffanie View Post
we do.

A is 9 months and i still do it, we dont hide but im not trying to purposely flash anyone either

i always wear a tank under my regular shirt so i pull it down, regular shirt up, so nothing is exposed

im more worried about my muffin top hanging out than i am my boob

We do too. Like the tank idea, Steff.
I have never been embarrassed to do it. I don't like when they are brand new and it's hard to get them latched. (of course, my boob is way bigger than their heads) I do try to be discreet though. I think the other people are more uncomfortable than I am.
cbeehler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #33
regenolds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I nursed all my babes anywhere except in a room full of extended family or friends. I could care less about strangers feeling "uncomfortable", but I didn't want to make my family not want to look my way. Some people make such a big deal out of it. I think if I tried to use a blanket or hooter hider it draws more attention than just lifting my shirt a little. Finally with baby #4 I've discovered nursing tanks and camis so my "muffin top" isn't as obvious and I usually have to chase after a toddler while I'm nursing. DD is getting too big to nurse in 1 arm now though so its getting difficult to do that.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #34
ojessesue
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

NIP seems to be easier and more comfortable for me as time goes by with my little guy. I was pretty self-conscious in the beginning and that's the biggest reason I did not NIP. I voted that we do it discretely--to me that's not making a scene or flopping out nekkid booby But I don't cover him up. I think it's more of a scene when you make a big production out of it.
I say to each her own but I do wish more women were comfortable doing it so that we could change people's views on the subject. I've had many friends tell me that they were afraid of BFing but I make it not weird. Hopefully they have changed their view a little!
I think if we were all a bit more confident and viewed it as only feeding our child more women would feel comfortable doing the same.

Wow, I'm amazed at how passionate I am about something that just over a year about I was just kind of interested in!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #35
heather_lynn68
Registered Users

My Mood:

Heck yeah and I'm not too discreet about it. More mamas should! I've been nursing for 3.5 years straight so I'm pretty much over trying to hide it.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #36
upzndowns
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have to agree with SlumberMomma, if your babe is only 6 mos. old and people are giving you strange looks, it's their problem-- not yours!
Maybe they want to congratulate you but are nervous about saying something...? Maybe not, who knows. I NIP'd until around age 2, and it took me a few months to be comfortable with it, but after that it was a matter of "my kid is hungry, mind your own business" when someone said something. And it was always someone who knew me that commented badly, never strangers. Most strangers didn't even notice, although we weren't trying to be discreet... and the few who did seemed delighted to see me nursing unapologetically. One sweet lady stopped up to me and told me all about the benefits of nursing vs. formula

Bottom line is, do what makes you comfortable, because being nervous isn't productive to easy nursing. If you feel the need to be out of the public eye, there is nothing wrong with that, just like there is nothing wrong with nursing in public.
upzndowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:24 PM   #37
kiwigirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have no problem nursing in public. I use a cover but I have to watch it because DD sometimes likes to pull it over so she can see the world and let the world see my boob! I'm surprised that people are giving you strange looks, your dd is only 6 months old, still a small baby IMO. So sorry you're getting strange looks from strangers.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #38
starryeyedgyal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We NIP. I voted discreetly, only b/c Evie is easily distracted. So I try and find a quiet corner. That's pretty discreet for us. lol Other than that I usually wear a nursing tank under my shirt. I never use a blanket or cover; that just makes it obvious what we're doing!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:30 PM   #39
mama~tutu~m's
Registered Users
Formerly: tgaughan
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indysteffanie View Post
we do.

A is 9 months and i still do it, we dont hide but im not trying to purposely flash anyone either

i always wear a tank under my regular shirt so i pull it down, regular shirt up, so nothing is exposed

im more worried about my muffin top hanging out than i am my boob
I wear the Target gilligan o'malley nursing tanks under everything they are wonderful. They cover the muffin top and keep me covered too.

I dont feel ashamed to NIP but more so that I don't want to get the looks from people.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #40
lissa2454
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is now 16 months old and we still nurse in public. I do not "cover up" (mainly because she will not nurse if she can't see what's going on but I am as discreet as possible. That being said, I do not let where we are dictate whether to nurse or not...I've never had anyone say anything to us.
lissa2454 is offline   Reply With Quote