View Poll Results: Do you Nurse in Public?
Nope, not for me! 7 1.85%
Nope, but I wish I could do it! 9 2.38%
Yes, but we do it discretely! 183 48.41%
Yes, openly and proudly! 157 41.53%
Stopped NIPing past a certain age. 17 4.50%
The Notorious Other 5 1.32%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2008, 03:33 AM   #71
viettasgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do You Nurse in Public?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indysteffanie View Post
im more worried about my muffin top hanging out than i am my boob

I had to crop it out of some photos we sent out yesterday!
We nurse wherever and whenever. I find the baby's head and my bunched up shirt cover almost everything. I need to start wearing tanks to cover up that roll of fat I'm still working off though. I only wear a throw or a blanket if DH is around because he can be a little modest about it!

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 04:09 AM   #72
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't anymore and haven't since ds was 13mos. The bfing law in TN only protects up to age 12 mos.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:16 AM   #73
amcawdery
Registered Users

Location: Wherever the Marine Corps. sends us! Currently in Jacksonville, NC
My Mood:

I voted yes, but I try not to flash anyone!!! But as PP said I worry about my muffin top more!!! =)
Old 10-28-2008, 06:21 AM   #74
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlygirl717 View Post
I've nursed in a few restaurants,with a blanket over us. But, the other day we were trying to get pictures taken and there was a LOT of screaming happening (even though she had been fed, changed,napped before hand) so I tried to nurse her a bit to calm her. I just kind of whipped it out in front of the photographer (who was a woman). I tried to turn a bit to try to be a lil discreet. We then had another round of screaming so I tried again. This time with my back to the photographer, but my front facing into the store itself(KMart) Some guy just happened to walk by, noticed me, make some comment we couldn't hear and scurry away. Me and my BF just laughed. I've surprised myself with how much of this doesn't bother me. I'm also boob out a lot in my kitchen which has large windows right on a city street. I'm sure my neighbors have seen more of me than they'd like lately...haha
Random aside, my mom's family is from Lebanon It's small enough that I don't come across many people from there.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:34 AM   #75
Knits on Earth
Registered Users
Formerly: eden/averymumm
seller

My Mood:

I didn't nurse my toddler in public b/c they were so on and off the breast and twisting and turing, also they didn't usually nurse so much, if they asked for nursing in pblic I'd just say wait til we get home and it was never a problem. but I nursed them in public when they were babies b/c I'd ever make them wait to eat. I never nursed them tandem in public though, only one ata time

Knits on Earth, custom knits
Knits on Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:50 AM   #76
ShayneLeMaster
no caption needed
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indysteffanie View Post
we do.

A is 9 months and i still do it, we dont hide but im not trying to purposely flash anyone either

i always wear a tank under my regular shirt so i pull it down, regular shirt up, so nothing is exposed

im more worried about my muffin top hanging out than i am my boob
Me exactly....

I voted openly and proud..but i also aim for discrection..i do it " tastefully"

But my main concern is..my had 3 kids belly showing, and not so much my boobs showing..lol
Old 10-28-2008, 06:55 AM   #77
ShayneLeMaster
no caption needed
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydn'smommy View Post
I don't anymore and haven't since ds was 13mos. The bfing law in TN only protects up to age 12 mos.
I am in tn too, and although that is the "law" the TN dept of health encourages BFing beyond a year*...but i'd dare someone try to enforce that law on me,especially with a 13m old throwing a fit..
Old 10-28-2008, 07:09 AM   #78
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I was very nervous to NIP and the first couple of months I fumbled a good bit to get him latched etc, so I always tried to go somewhere private. After that I didn't care if we were standing in line checking out, if he was hungry, he was going to eat. If ppl didn't like it, that is their problem. With that said, I always did it as discreetly as I could, just because I am a modest person anyways. I don't care if they knew I was bfing, but I didn't want to flash them my whole boob either. Sometimes a little bit can't be helped, oh well. But I am not a person that will flop the whole thing out for all to see, and I don't see a reason of why a person would need to flop it out to feed honestly. I am all for bfing, ds still nurses in fact, but sometimes I wonder if ppl want to have a 'valid reason' of why they are baring their breasts.. to prove a point that they 'can' in the name of bfing. My own niece did this and was bragging to me on the phone about it. She is a rebellious girl anyways but she had asked the store manager if they had somewhere private to nurse her baby and they suggested she could go in a dressing room, or bathroom or out to her car etc. Well she didn't like those suggestions so she decided she would bare BOTH her breasts while walking the store with her baby on the one. Trying to prove a point that she could feed anywhere. Well, SHE was the one who asked if they had somewhere PRIVATE to nurse.. they gave her the suggestions of where they thought she'd have privacy. There was no need for her to be so b*tchy as if they had forbidden her to bf. I was shocked she did something so immature though.. (of course we are talking about a barely 20-year-old that acts 16 most of the time! LOL!)
Sorry got off track! I am voting yes, but discreetly.
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:39 PM   #79
Lisamomof7
Registered Users
Formerly: Lisamomof6

My Mood:

I voted for discreetly too. But by the time DD was 12 months she did not want to be covered up so I just did the best I could. I also in 5+ years have ever gotten a dirty look (that I noticed anyway). I was in a restaurant with some of my friends and DD was 6 weeks old. I didn't put a blanket over her because it was warm, but there was nothing to see. I really wanted to flash the woman though so she could really get a good look!
Lisamomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #80
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yup! I'm discreet as possible, but my son won't nurse with a blanket over his head (his older brother wouldn't either). So when I pull it out, I get the bra unhooked under the shirt, lift the shirt up a little bit, and then try to have noah's head blocking my breast before I lift the shirt up over my breast. Then I try to keep it pulled down as much as I can, but he doesn't like it in his face. Then when he's done I pull the shirt down as I'm pulling him away from the breast and then hook my bra and everything back up while trying to keep my shirt covering me.

I'm not embarrased about breast-feeding openly, but I do TRY to be discreet because I realize that makes some other people uncomfrotable. But when it comes down to it... my kid has just as much right to eat in a public place as a bottle fed baby (not a slam against bottle feeding mamas!)!

Although it is really nice that the mall where we live has a family nursing room. It has a rocking chair, a changing table, two changing tables built into the counter, a sink, a chair for daddy (or friends) and a toy table for older children.

And you can shut the door if you want to.

God bless!
Michelle

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!

Last edited by Michelle_M; 10-28-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote