Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
petunia_2007
Registered Users
seller

Lightbulb Weaning when pregnant

HI. Any advice would be helpful ladies. I am newly pregnant with baby #2 (6weeks) and am still nursing #1. My original plan was to wean her over the next month or so, because we were going to try for #2 in January I REALLY wanted to have a couple months of my body all to myself. But alas, that wasn't in the cards for us. Anyway, we are down to two nursings a day-one before bed and one somewhere between 4 and 6 am. (If we're lucky.)
I'm working on a bottle (which she FINALLY takes) before bed and to slowly convince her that she doesn't need the boob anymore. So far she does NOT agree, but nurses shorter. I'm hoping that over a week or so she sways my way
The morning nursing is a lot harder. First off, I wish she didn't wake up then at all! Then problem would be solved! Second, I'm too groggy to heat up a bottle and she won't drink it cold. Any ideas? I'll heat it up if it will help! Third, I'm a little nervous that she is getting way more calories in the bottle than from the breast. She's already a chunk and I don't believe cow's milk is all it's cracked up to be anyway.
Any stories, ideas, books, etc would be helpful, Mammas. Thanks!!!

Advertisement

petunia_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
Sewing4Girls
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weaning when pregnant

How old is she? There's really no medical reason to stop nursing your current child just b/c you're pregnant. I continued bfing my middle child up till about a month before the 3rd was born. Anyway, off my soap box!
I too am trying to wean a young child who is saying 'no dice'. I'm not sure what to do really. I'm already doing everything I know. Hope someone has some good advice!
Old 10-22-2008, 05:57 AM   #3
McMasters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have your DH or partner get up then and give her a paci or try to put her back to sleep. It will probably be rough and might take a bit, but it's a habit that needs to be broken. I'm trying to wean my 18 month old and I'm also pregnant. For me, the morning nursing has been the easiest to give up IF I get out of bed and make him breakfast. He forgets all about it and just eats his eggs then has some juice/water or a bit of milk. If you are concerned about her weight, which you probably don't need to be, give her 2%. Whole milk is only 4% fat anyway.
McMasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
petunia_2007
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the responses! I know I could continue to nurse her, but I'm not really into it. For the third night in a row I gave her a bottle, then she begged for the breast anyway AND wanted me to hold her an extra long time. She knows somethings up! The breakfast idea is good, but she wakes up at 6, nurses, and goes back down until 9. So that won't work for us unless I totally disrupt her schedule. That is how I got her off the 9 am feeding though, so it really does work. How far along are you? My daughter is 16, almost 17 months.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

i would give it a while personally, and see if your supply goes down and she gives it up on her own - when i was ~10-12 weeks pg with DS, DD was 18 months old and my milk supply vanished .. DD went from nursing several times during the night and 3-4 times druing the day to just nursing to sleep at nap/bedtime within a week or so .. she was fine with it because there was no milk anyway .. plus about that time it started really hurting to nurse so i got very motivated to help her cut back.. lol
Old 10-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I nursed DD until I was I was almost 4 months pregnant. (She was EBF when I got pregnant.) I kept it up because I had no choice and then all of a sudden, she started eating table food and we ended up weaning. It wasn't that hard actually...
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:44 PM   #7
petunia_2007
Registered Users
seller

Thanks so much, Ladies! We aren't having much success on my schedule , so we'll try hers. Hopefully you're right and she'll lose interest as I dry up. Have a great day!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
Mom of Sasha and Oisin
Registered Users

My Mood:

I nursed throughout my pregnancy. I wasn't trying to wean, however my milk supply did reduce around the 7-8 month. Then the milk changed taste and my daughter would say...ew yucky. She kept nursing but she wasn't really drinking, funny I know. When my milk came in after my son was born, she was all about drinking again.
There is a chance when your milk changes taste, she may wean herself.
Mom of Sasha and Oisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #9
Sewing4Girls
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Definately what they said about the milk drying up. Ds1 was EBF up till about 10 when my milk dried up nearly completely for a while. He started eating table food then and by 12mo was down to bfing 2-3 times a day which he kept up till a month before ds2 was born.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:50 PM   #10
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS3 weaned on his own around 4 or 5 mos pregnant. I think my milk had changed and he really didn't like it. I tried and tried to continue (even once per day) but he wasn't having it, so I had to let go. It was sad because I nursed DS1 for 35 mos and DS2 for 30 mos so weaning a child at 16 mos was hard for me. But since I had been through the other two I was able to recognize time was up.

If you really want to wean and/or cut back nursing, I recommend "don't offer, don't refuse" or what I like to call "distract distract distract". With DS2 I offered fruit snacks during times when it was just too hard to nurse or when we were out running around. The early morning nursing may be the last to go -- start with her least favorite and work your way from there. GL.
There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote