Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #11
shastakat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weaning when pregnant

I just found out that I'm pregnant with #3 and was curious about the same thing. I think that I'm ready to wean and pretty sure that dd is as well. I just need some tips on how to do it.

Advertisement

Old 12-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #12
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never weaned before (dd self weaned at 21mths) but I'll try to offer some help. You could give her a small snack (maybe 2 peanut butter crackers) before bed and a little cup of milk so her tummy isn't empty.

She might just be comfort nursing though. In which case, maybe take her to the store and let her pick out a special stuffed animal that she can snuggle up to instead of the booby and explain to her why your getting it.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. GL

Last edited by CrunchyMama0607; 12-03-2008 at 08:33 AM.
CrunchyMama0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #13
houseplantgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am in the same boat.
I'm 12 weeks pregnant with #4, and still nursing my 19 month old son.
He is very aggressive and LOVES his booboo's!!
I still nurse him to nap, and to bed, unless DH is home, then he takes him and gets him to sleep....and then he wakes in the night to nurse, at least 2 times.
I'm exhausted and I really really would like some sleep and a break before this next babe comes.
This is the longest I've nursed one of my kids, the other2 weaned at 15 and 14 months.....sigh.
I'm tempted to just leave for 3 days/nights, and let DH deal with it....but it seems sooo mean to just make him go cold turkey.
But I really think, that at this point, it's mostly habit and comfort nursing.
So we are just trying really hard to cut back.
I tell him "the boo boo's are asleep". and try to distract him with a book or other stuff during the day.
At night, I'm offering a sippy of water first. Our house is dry, so I'm thinking he's just thirsty sometimes.
but anyhoo, I feel your pain and exhaustion!!!
houseplantgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #14
BrittBBT
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I weaned my son at 28-29 months. I am pregnant with twins and my milk dried up completely at about 3 months... I was both devastated and relieved. I thought my milk would turn to colostrum at about 5 or 6 months, NOT totally dry up at 3 months.

Anyway, what I did was night wean first, while I still had milk. I also cut his feedings down to 3 set times a day. When the dry nursing got too painful, I simply distracted him and offered food or drink... he would ask to nurse every so often and I'd aplogize and tell him the nummies had no milk. After a few weeks he stopped asking. Now he asks to hold them. I let him. He gets comfort from resting his face on them, holding them, and... sniffing them not sure about that one... LOL
Brittany-mama to a bunch!Wife to Joseph Missing Zahra and Jayden my NCC and SAHM to Evan (5) Gavin & Bryce (3) and Avery (10.27.11)My planned UC, Daddy-caught Boobie Monster! 8lbs, 20'' long and 14'' head circum.
BrittBBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #15
teenbean31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseplantgirl View Post
I am in the same boat.
I'm 12 weeks pregnant with #4, and still nursing my 19 month old son.
He is very aggressive and LOVES his booboo's!!
I still nurse him to nap, and to bed, unless DH is home, then he takes him and gets him to sleep....and then he wakes in the night to nurse, at least 2 times.
I'm exhausted and I really really would like some sleep and a break before this next babe comes.
This is the longest I've nursed one of my kids, the other2 weaned at 15 and 14 months.....sigh.
I'm tempted to just leave for 3 days/nights, and let DH deal with it....but it seems sooo mean to just make him go cold turkey.
But I really think, that at this point, it's mostly habit and comfort nursing.
So we are just trying really hard to cut back.
I tell him "the boo boo's are asleep". and try to distract him with a book or other stuff during the day.
At night, I'm offering a sippy of water first. Our house is dry, so I'm thinking he's just thirsty sometimes.
but anyhoo, I feel your pain and exhaustion!!!

Ummm this would be me.
My dd who is 20 mos loves her boobies. She did seem to ween herself at about 14-15 mos..she was down to like 1-2 nursings ever so often then all of a sudden she wanted it like never before.

The midwife told me that they know that something is up & know there is a baby coming. She seems to think just to let her nurse, but I am so tired. I am actually due in like 5 wks at the most. I so see myself nursing both of them.

She just doesn't seem to ever forget about it...distraction does help sometimes but not always. She is DEFINITELY a comfort nurser. I don't think there is much there as of milk lately.

I am going to need support when the baby comes..I know it's going to be touch. I will probably just let Alyse nurse just so she doesn't feel neglected.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #16
petunia_2007
Registered Users
seller

Hi,
Just as an update, I really appreciate all your responses! Good luck to all of you who were weaning too.
We have successfully weaned. At my 8 week appt, my OB suggested it seriously and we were pretty much down to one a day, so I gave it a shot. DD was about 17 mo at the time.
So here's how I think it went.
We were down to the am and pm. The pm I kept giving her a bottle and then the boob until we finally just got to the bottle. Then we slowly tackled the am feed. My DH went in and rocked her (luckily and thankfully he was totally on board) and she was fine with that. (With me she HAD to nurse.) The times that she wanted to nurse randomly because I think she missed it, she did. I never stopped her. That way I think there wasn't like a "here's the last one" feeling for either of us.
She was almost 18 mo when she was weaned. She would still talk about them, touch them, etc, but given the opportunity (which I did), she never really wanted to nurse, she just teased and we'd both laugh about it.
So we went from 2 to 1 to 0 in about 8 weeks or so.
FYI, at my 12 week appt, the baby had stopped growing. The Dr. did say that "despite what LLL will have you believe, there is a higher chance of miscarriage if you bf while pregnant." Don't know if that contributed or not, but I sure wouldn't wish it on anyone!
Good luck to all you mama's out there!!!
petunia_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #17
malachi456
Registered Users

My Mood:

i am due with #2 in about 5 weeks or less and i just stopped bf last week with #1. i let her decide when it was time to stop, she just doesnt need it anymore and doesnt ask or seem interested. i wouldnt force the issue of weaning if your first is not ready. its not wirth the frustration and bf while pregnant is safe.
malachi456 is offline   Reply With Quote