Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #1
nicolehedges
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Hands down favorite newborn prefolds and other questions....

ok. So I'm once again changing my mind on this baby. I'm going to mainly use mother-ease newborn sandy's with xs meaf. I also have some snap thirsties size 1 covers and a couple of sweet peas newborn covers.

I'm considering buying 2 dozen prefolds in newborn size or infant size for the first couple of weeks (then as inserts/doublers later). These will be used with the thirsties/sweet peas.

What is your most favorite prefold on teeny babies? Softest, best fitting (a little bulk ok, but not too much) squishy for in between those little legs....absorbency a plus. Brand? Fabric?? I prefer cotton over hemp/bamboo

How in the world do you make a nice/snug jelly roll that stays in place and holds in the ebf poos?? I see pictures and they look so nice. I have never been able to get that with my littles. Although I have not used prefolds on newborns before so maybe it's different???

Thank you for any help!!

Advertisement

nicolehedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:44 AM   #2
7arrows4God
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Hands down favorite newborn prefolds and other questions....

I do not pin, I would only pad fold. And for the truly newborn stage I would go with geffen hemp jersey xs. So soft and pliable, but not sure on the jelly roll thing as I had trouble with it with my regular newborn cotton pre-folds.
Canadian mama to 13 blessings ds(18), ds(17), ds(15.5), ds(13.5), dd(11.75), ds(10), ds(8.5), ds(6.5), dd(5.5), dd(3.5), dd(2.5) , ds(15 months) and #13 due end of AUGUST. And yes that is while nursing night and day. :O)
7arrows4God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
zorabete
Registered Users

My Mood:

I can't help with the newborn prefold suggestion, we were given several months of diaper service, so we just used their prefolds with ds. I can say, I never saw the point of a jellyroll--it seems so fussy. We just did a newspaper fold with snappies, under wool, and had no big problems. Granted, ds wasn't a super pooper, so that may have had a lot to do with it, but newspaper makes its own gusset when you pull the sides around to fasten it, as long as you get it snug, and that seems much simpler than a jellyroll, maybe?
zorabete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
nicolehedges
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Padfolding is a good idea......and I never thought about looking into other folding options....lol!! I also just realized I have about 2-3 dozen GMD OS flats.....I wonder if those would be trim enough for a newborn to padfold...maybe into the Sweet Pea newborn covers??

nicolehedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

The one-size might be a bit bulky padfolded for a newborn. I really liked the origami fold for my last little guy, so I mostly used my one-size flats for that. Just in the last few months, GMD came out with half-flats, which I think are half the size of the one-size flats. Those would likely work really well padfolded for a newborn. It would be easy to cut them in half, then serge or sew the raw edge.

I have the preemie prefolds. I've had them for 13+ years, so I doubt the company I bought them from is still in business, so I don't have a brand name to give you on those. These are too thin and narrow to get a good jelly roll on them, so I usually just snappi them on as best I can. They only fit for about 2 weeks, then I use them as burp cloths.

And I have 2 dozen of GMD NB orange-edge prefolds. I'll start using these when the preemie prefolds don't fit anymore. I usually use a snappi until the cord falls off. I do like to jelly roll the legs. I just roll one side, hold it down as best as I can while I roll the other side, then snappi it on. I can usually get them to work pretty well. Of course, REALLY big messes are going to come oozing out sometimes, especially if they poop, then pee on top of it or if their butt was compressed in the car seat, but that's true of anything I put on a newborn. Even if the mess escapes the diaper, the cover always catches it, so I figure we're good.

Your handmade doublers would probably work really well as newborn diapers, too! Your probably don't need to buy more diapers, unless you want to, then of course you need more!

Mama to 5: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and expecting someone new 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:49 PM   #6
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
They're the only ones I've used, but I really like GMD Orange edge prefolds on my newborns. Super soft, wide enough to fold any way you like, and really absorbent.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:27 PM   #7
Titus2
Registered Users
seller

For what it's worth, Gerber Birdseye flats would be my newborn pick. I use some that were gifted to me in a grovia if I'm desparate and they are okay for my almost 1 year old! And they're cheap and their edges are my favorite! They always lay flat.
Titus2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:53 PM   #8
TsChris
Registered Users
seller

I love my orange-edged GMD prefolds b/c they are absorbent and soft. However, I don't think any fold can prevent the EBF poop-explosions that my little one can squeeze out. I use covers with double gussets to ensure that poop doesn't get out, e.g. Thirsties. I love wool covers, but for big poops, they sometimes get poop on them, so I will need to spot wash them.

I have some sized 1 Sbish and size S DreamEze fitteds that will hold in big poops. My orange GMD workhorses will also hold in big poops, as well as some of my Goodmamas.

I love to trade! Here is my IHA/ISO list (this list is old, but I do still have some of the stuff in it): http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1285779
TsChris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:22 PM   #9
picklefroggies
Registered Users

I LOVE my Diaper Rite bamboo prefolds. DD is 5 weeks old and 11 pounds and still fits the newborn size!
picklefroggies is offline   Reply With Quote