Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
Salamimommy
Registered Users
seller

How much did you spend on newborn stash?

I have bought all of my stash so far gently used. I'm thinking I'll buy the rest new. So far I have 5 simplex, 7 lil joeys, 8 NB workhorse, and two newborn bluberry Pockets. I've spent $160 and anticipate spending $200 more. This seems like a lot considering they will probably only see ten weeks of use. I know I will resell them and recoup quite a bit. Is $350 high for a newborn stash? I am not wanting to use prefolds basically due to convenience. I know if it's a pain that the baby will end up in disposables.

Advertisement

Salamimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
rooster2012
Registered Users
seller

I think that's a little high, but not out of question. You can use the stash again on another baby if you choose to have more or sell them for a reasonable return if you're done after this one. I bough my NB stash on sale, as seconds, used, or in trades. I had a ginormous stash (probably about 50 diapers for one baby). I spent about $375. My baby was quite large (9 lbs 7 oz and 22"). I'm still using my size one duo covers and my NB simplex at 6 weeks. My NB prefolds only lasted about 2.5 weeks, but I'm still glad I had them because they fit well and trimly under the cord. The simplex have to be changed every 1 to 1.5 hours, so don't work overnight, but are easy to change when out and about. We aren't sure about a third baby at this point, so I've sold everything that was overkill or the stuff I didn't use as much (about 20 diapers). I made back about $200. I think I would make back about another $150 if I sold the rest, so almost my whole investment, so definitely worth it to me!
Old 09-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How much did you spend on newborn stash?

Trying to remember. We had
3 dozen infant prefolds. $60
4 Lanacare wool covers $130
2 maybe 3 wetbags $30
Pins and snappies $10?
So about $230 for a complete newborn stash. For a few more dollars we could have been all organic.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
libbygood
Registered Users
seller

I bought 14 xs and 11 small pockets. It was about $200 for 25. The rest of my stash is medium or OS. I didn't wan to use the OS right away because they seemed like they would be too bulky.
libbygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

I got most of my NB stash as my baby gift from my cousin (well used, on their 4th or 5th kid!). So I barely spend anything, maybe $40 to round it out. My stash was small, but totally do-able and all I needed.
I had:
6 Premie PF's
4 NB fitteds
2 Thirsties XS covers
1 Thirsties Size 1 cover
6 NB Gdiapers + home-made cloth inserts - $35
8 washcloth inserts - $10
This lasted me the first few weeks till she fit 10 small AMP pockets I had.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Probably $500. I would have spent $1000 if I had it, but I went a bit crazy.
Next time I'm just doing 48 nb pfs and 12 covers, so it will be about $200.
These figures don't include wool at all, that's a whole 'nother ballgame
NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #7
WildflowerCB
Registered Users
Formerly: ri814146
seller
seller

If you are going to resell them or save them for another baby then you will only actually lose about half of that cost. IMO if you spend less than $3k for your total diapering experience you are still breaking even with disposables. So, I would buy what you can afford. If you can afford $350 and it makes diapering easier for you than go for it. If it is stretching your budget than try a registry for cloth diapers.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #8
GsMommy22
Registered Users

I think that's a little high, but it depends how long you will use them and how much easier it will make your life with a newborn. I bought 18 BumGenius newborn diapers for $200 (some used, some new) and got 3 months out of them (born at 7lbs 15oz but long and skinny baby) with the help of compostable gdiaper inserts (that I got for 50% from a neighbor) at night. Now I use 13 softbums and various inserts that I paid about $350 for... Looking at what others are spending, maybe I should splurge and get a few more so I don't have to do laundry every other day?!
GsMommy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
mollypeters
Registered Users
seller
seller

far too much, i'm sure. 32 nb aios , 1 dozen economes , and 3 dozen organic infant pfs. that does not include the os purchases of 2 econobum kits, 15 os covers, and 2 dozen pockets that will be shared between 2 in dipes, the existing stash, and woolie projects to be determined after baby is born. all of the new purchases, with the exception of the aio's and prefolds were deeply discounted closeouts, so i didn't do too bad on those, and since they'll be shared, that's an even greater value...
mollypeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
Addicted2Chocolate
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have the following
15 NB simplex, bought gently used here for $165
24 infant flats, bought gently used here for $24
30 preemie prefolds, leftover from DD, cost $0 this time
I was planning to make my own wool covers from upcycled sweaters but time is running out so I'm strongly considering just getting some NB Alvas to fill out my stash. 12 of those costs $45 and I will stuff everything with my flats because I hate microfiber.

Total cost $235. I'll recoupe a large chunk of that selling my Simplex diapers. The rest will be donated to charity.

I don't even like to think about how much I spent on my last kiddos diapers and decided to keep it simple this time.
Addicted2Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote