Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
GrantsMommmy
Registered Users

Newborn fitteds - I dont see the need.

Just curious if most people use fitteds for newborns. It seems like I see a lot of talk about them. I see them for sale quite often and they are a part if a lot of rental programs. I just dont really have the desire for them. Right now, I'm planning on buying prefolds and AIO's for my stash. I'm wondering if I should consider them.

Advertisement

GrantsMommmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Newborn fitteds - I dont see the need.

With the first two kids I cloth diapered I hadzero desire to own a fitted. They just didn't make sense to me...They seemed expensive, bulky and like it would be a lot of steps. Why would I want to put on a fitted, THEN cover, THEN pants. With number three in cloth we use wool and fleece covers as his pants/shorts about 90% of the time. I totally see the appeal now, we use fitteds almost exclusively. They have great poop containment, which is nice, but the real reason I like them is because it's just diaper, pants, done!
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #3
bluesaddle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We use fitteds almost exclusively. I love them. We use a lot of wool covers and a few PUL ones. Mainly I love them because they are more breathable, so we can go coverless at home or use wool. Plus they contain poop so well and they wash up nicely.

For newborn size, I love fitteds. Mainly because I could never get a good fit with prefolds on a wiggly little newborn with no leaks.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:52 AM   #4
hippychic823
Registered Users

I made the better part of my NB stash a combo of GMD orange and yellow edge Workhorses because I felt like they would be easier for DH and older siblings and grandparents to help with changes because I'm really the only one who would use prefolds (I also have 2 dozen NB prefolds and a dozen yellow edge PF's). I'm not sure if making the majority of my NB stash mainly fitteds and covers is the best idea but it seems to be the option that will work best for our family and is hopefully more economical than using all AIO'S which would be my only other option as far as making it easier for everyone else in the family to help with diaper changes.
hippychic823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:12 AM   #5
Triciaj1
Registered Users
seller

Workhorses are very affordabke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Triciaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
lookseeus
Registered Users

I'm not due until early July. But decided that I really wanted to do wool covers and did a bunch of reading/research online. The consensus I found was that fitted was better for breastfed newborn poop containment. So I order a bunch of GMD NB fitteds. And hoping to switch to regular old prefolds after those are outgrown.
Will let you know how it goes!
lookseeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:37 AM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

When my boys were NB's I didn't see the need either. Now with 6 years of cloth diapering, 4 years consecutive, plus dealing with a toddler with chronic diarrhea, if I were to have a nb to diaper now I would do all fitteds for the ease. My husband can snappie prefolds but doesn't get a snug leg fit. That is a must with ebf poop or diarrhea. I do wool longies and shorties so that is basically like doing AIO's for us.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:39 AM   #8
Jumbo
Registered Users
seller

We used a diaper service when DS was a newborn, and they provided fitteds. I grew to hate those things. DS had bad reflux, and when he was having problems it was awful to have to recline him to wipe him, put on a fitted and wait, we're not done, put on a cover. We basically abandoned pants, he wore onsies and long socks. Too many steps.

We often put fitteds on loose for comfort and they contained nothing. Even when they were snug the poo went right through the leg holes because he had skinny legs. If/when we have another I'm pad folding flats into covers if baby has reflux issues and pinning a flat on when baby is feeling well. I never want to look at a fitted again.
Jumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:07 PM   #9
quiche_lover
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippychic823 View Post
I made the better part of my NB stash a combo of GMD orange and yellow edge Workhorses because I felt like they would be easier for DH and older siblings and grandparents to help with changes
I have been thinking about this aspect (DH, MIL, etc) of using CDs, and I was wondering what percentage fitted vs. prefolds worked for some of you mamas and why (what family factors, work situations, etc made you outfit your newborn stash with more of one or the other).
quiche_lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:26 PM   #10
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My husband prefers prefolds. I prefer the workhorses until I can trifold prefolds. I hate using the snappis.