Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2015, 09:44 AM   #1
hippychic823
Registered Users

New to Cloth Diapering. Need suggestions/advice

Hello all I'm expecting my third child in Sept and would like to use cloth for him. I need suggestions as to what all I would need for a good starter stash for a NB. Like how many prefolds and covers? How many fitted and covers? How many AIO? What are some good options for night time? Preferred brands? Thanks in advance for any help

Advertisement

hippychic823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
lalaith
Registered Users
seller

Re: New to Cloth Diapering. Need suggestions/advice

A very common newborn stash is 12 newborn prefolds (GMD are most popular), 6 fitteds (kissaluvs and GMD workhorses have good reviews) for night time, 6 covers (thirsties and bummis) and 6 AIOs (Blueberry simplex, li'l joeys, and imagine are the brands I see most often recommended) for Dads and sitters.

If you want to give yourself the opportunity to go longer without laundry, another dozen prefolds, maybe in the small size (will work on a newborn, but be huge, also make good burp cloths).

I have done crazy amounts of research for my two newborns (really, way, waaaay too much), and this seems to be the most recommended. A close second would be doing a newborn diaper rental (just google, there are plenty of options)- using all fitteds and covers, or getting a package that has several different types and brands for you to figure out what you like.
and the joy my munchkin brings!
lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:35 PM   #3
madelmom
Registered Users

I liked flats better than prefolds for my nb. They are much more trim, absorbent, and fit way longer than newborn prefolds. My LO was born 9.4 and the nb prefolds were like diapering with a paper towel for us. Totally useless. We used the infant size from the start and they really werent that big we just folded the back down a bit. Still prefer flats though Make sure all the fitteds and aios have a snap down for the cord unless you're not diapering until the third week. Thirsties were too big for my lo until 10+ lbs so I'm not sure why they're recommended for right off the bat. You also cant use them until after the cord falls off. Bummis were even bigger IMO. I loved Imse Vimse NB covers. I wish I'd had 4 of those and nothing else. For fitteds I liked Bububebe but people also love sandy's and gmd workhorses. You might want fleece or wool to go over your fitteds. Diasana soakers are our fave and you only really need 2 or one and two fleece covers as back up.
madelmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
hippychic823
Registered Users

Thanks for the input/advice ladies
Old 04-21-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
hippychic823
Registered Users

Another question and forgive me if this is a dumb question but could I use a prefold trifolded in a pocket diaper for a NB? Like use the prefold on top of the diaper instead of stuffed into the pocket?
Old 04-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #6
special.k.marie
Registered Users
seller
seller

New to Cloth Diapering. Need suggestions/advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippychic823 View Post
Another question and forgive me if this is a dumb question but could I use a prefold trifolded in a pocket diaper for a NB? Like use the prefold on top of the diaper instead of stuffed into the pocket?

Yes you could; you would be using the pocket like a cover. It would save time having to stuff and unstuff, especially if the NB pocket is narrow. (They can be difficult to stuff.) The only possible issue would be that prefolds tend to be bulkier than inserts and could cause some leg gap if the cover isn't put on securely. (But that could happen even if the pocket is stuffed.)
When using prefolds and covers, if the cover is only wet, it can be reused. If using a pocket as a cover, you would have to wash it once it got wet. In that case you would need more pockets than if you were using traditional covers.

Looking for new earrings? Visit my etsy shop and use code DIAPERSWAPPERS10 for 10% off!
SPARKLY STRANDS

Last edited by special.k.marie; 04-21-2015 at 07:51 PM.
special.k.marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:10 PM   #7
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Of any diaper type I think 25 to 36 is a good amount in case you need few more because of skip day to wash...

I used pockets. I dont know much on covers & things.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using DS Forum
Old 05-02-2015, 08:04 AM   #8
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

I tried a lot of different types and brands on my little guy and I've got it pretty much figured out on what I like and don't like. (Still have a few brands I wanna try next go round) as far as numbers go my stash is
12 nb Orange edge Gmd prefolds
3 grovia size 1 (these are super trim so great when they are brand new)
I thought I'd snappi and pin prefolds a lot more than I did. It was just extra work and I had 10 covers so I mostly trifolded
For covers I prefer bummis sww which I didn't think I would but I did. Rumparooz nb work well but they do mark baby's legs. And the thirsties are good too but mine were all Velcro and they don't really work great on second baby.

I think 12 aios is an awesome number for a partial stash I loved the aios I kept. I have 6 lil joeys I got most of them used and I prepped the heck out of them anyways and I'm glad I did. My guy actually peed a lot for a nb but these held him and I think it was the multiple washes undid before he came. He did outgrow them in 5 weeks he was about 10.5 pounds or so. I have 5 grovia aios and will probably get 7 more next time. Or just 1 and 6 simplex. Can't decide. But these things were awesome and lasted us 10 weeks. He was about 14 pounds when he out grew these and he outgrew the fit and absorbency at the same time. So while 12 is a good number I prefer 18 aios.

And lastly fitteds.
I'd recommend 6-12 fitteds I didn't think I would need fitteds as much as I did. Ds1 never slept more than 2 hours before he was 3 months old. But ds2 would feed for a long time and then sleep for 10-12 hours a night from birth (I know lots of jealous mamas) so fitteds were handy. I liked wh but I preferred the snaps over the non closure ones. And they were always soaked by morning. I loved my sbish snap less mini. They fit awesome and I'm still using them with an extra doubler. (6 months old now and 17#). So lots of bang for your buck there. I got some kissa fitteds later when he was 3 months and already 14 pounds. I was mostly planning for next kiddo and they were a steal at 3 for 5$. I'd read bad and good about them but honestly they held my guy for an hour at 3 months old. And that's impressive. They were soaked but I'm impressed enough that I'm gonna buy 3 more of those.
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:51 PM   #9
hippychic823
Registered Users

Thanks so much ladies lots of helpful advice/suggestions on here. Glad I found this website
Old 05-07-2015, 12:25 PM   #10
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Honestly if I were doing it again, I might just rent ~30 NB Simplex for the first 2-3 months. It's pretty cheap and you don't have to deal with the hassle of re-selling.

Great customer service from:

Last edited by missydawn; 05-19-2015 at 09:14 AM.
meljc is offline   Reply With Quote