Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #101
Sarahsdawn
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What do you wish you knew then? CDing a newborn

Flats are my friend.
And CD'ing from day one minute one is easy peasy.

Advertisement

to shortylucy!
My Facebook Page
Sarahsdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:50 PM   #102
happysahm
Registered Users
Formerly: mama22boys
seller

My Mood:

I love my BG 3.0's for nighttime and the diaper bag. We haven't had any blowouts in these. We've been using prefitteds and preemie pf's for the day with covers. While I loved the pf's, they were not absorbant enough alone. I had to double them up or use doublers. Also, I would use wrap-style covers. They are just easy to get on and off. I love wool, but 3 of my 5 wool covers have poop on them right now and are waiting for me to wash them. You don't have time to hand wash when you are nursing a newborn round the clock. I dont' mind the onesies, but I wish I had some babylegs to show off the ruffles or cute prints on her bum. Make sure you have a cloth friendly diaper bag for all the fluff!
Old 11-09-2008, 02:40 AM   #103
Mama'sPocket
Registered Users
Formerly: LizzieAG
seller

My Mood:

I wish I had know how tiny my babies would be! Nothing newborn sized fit, but they both were heavy wetters, so it was hard to get enough absorbancy Wool was a lifesaver!

I wish I had known that super wash wool was available and could be run through the washer. I would have had a bunch of longies made out of that. Which reminds me, I need to get started on stuff for the next baby!
Old 11-09-2008, 07:34 AM   #104
rcarver
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no vinly shower-cap type covers! gives DS a rash.

Prefolds and Wool for hanging at the house
Thick fitteds (like a Cuddle Buns from Drool Bucket Baby) and crocheted wool for overnight
Pockets/Aio's for Daddy and out and about
Zippered Wet Bag from mother4jc
rcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #105
widerangebooks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This thread is helping me more than any others! Bumping again!
widerangebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #106
**just me**
Banned-Previously banned user mama23boys

if i had to do it again i wouldnt buy KLOs. the baby just peed straight through those diapers!

i would get more Mutts, LHCs, wool (interlock and knitted) and Pattynaps.
**just me** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:15 PM   #107
GodStillTalks
Registered Users
seller

I am diapering a nb for the first time now. Here is what I learned:

It isn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be!

I didn't do anything special for the meconium poops. I just soak all my diapers in a scoop of oxiclean for 30 minutes before washing now. No stains from meconium or ebf poo so far and we are almost 2 weeks in.

I will say the first few days I just kinda stared at my stash for each change and said "Now what?" until I got into a groove.

I had an 8lb 2oz baby, and the oranges did NOT last long. I think she wore them for 3 days before I got brave enough to just fold down a yellow edge- and they fit SO much better. They are almost all we use now, with Imse Vimse Bumpy NB wool covers and some mama-made knitted wool. I use pfs during the day and Thirsties AIOs at night. As soon as her cord falls off we will be switching to BGOS- the Thirsties just fit her weird.

Also- it's ok it the wool goes over their little cord as long as the wet diaper is below the cord. Wool breathes, and hasn't bothered her one bit.

I have some KL0s- and I was grateful to have them the first few days when I was still kinda chicken to go full on pf. But I haven't used them since because they really don't seem to hold much. I don't know how, but a pf seems to hold more. Also, fidgeting with the snaps on her tiny, tiny waist was a pain in the butt. I prefer snaps in general, but I think I would stick with velcro on little babies.

Night time still give me fits a bit. I prefer natural fibers, but my babe started getting a rash when we did fitteds at night, even with wool. So I have been sticking with Thristies AIOs stuffed with a preemie prefold as a doubler, but they try to leak out the sides, so I put a sleep sack that I knitted over it and that works OK. I can't wait for her cord to fall off so we can do BGs at night. But then we will probably be dealing with the dreaded night time ammonia. *sigh* Nights are just harder, but at least we don't need sposies!
Old 11-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #108
tryin
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is mainly for night diaper changing because that it was I found to be the hardest during the nb stage due to sleep deprivation.

I don't use a diaper changer. I take a changing pad from the diaper bag I'm not using currently or a pf and change on the bed. All my supplies were kept on the nightstand for easy reach at night.

XS Very BABy AIOs or XS FB (pre-stuffed) are great for nightime and it's one step. A close second is a fitted with a knit wool cover. I found front snapping fitteds with front snapping covers to be way too much bulk in the front and way too many buttons for the middle of the night.

Sposies are okay to use for that third middle of the night diaper change when you can barely sit up straight and can only open one eye in a dimly lit room.

Have plenty of covers, blankets, pfs nearby in case of a leak or explosion or when they decide to give you an extra "surprise" after you have already put on a new dipe.

It's okay to just throw down some regular pfs in the bassinet if it gets soiled and you cant for the life of you think where you put the other sheet.

Keep a laundry basket and wetbag/diaperpail nearby so you can just toss things in, I rinse in the morning-no stains (Formula-fed babies).
Old 11-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #109
sadie1812
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would absolutely use liners or even disposables,(yes, the evil disposables), until the meconium is all out! To me it wasn't so much a matter of staining, but more of the extreme difficulty of getting the meconium off the cloth. And unless someone else in your family is up for wrestling with the tar-like poo, I would just make things easier for yourself with the liners or the dreaded disposables. Let yourself recover from the birth! ALso, I loved using prefolds on my newborn. They fit way better than anything else, and after he outgrew them they have made wonderful burp cloths/inserts/doublers. Good luck!
sadie1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #110
widerangebooks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

widerangebooks is offline   Reply With Quote