Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #111
cowboymommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you wish you knew then? CDing a newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandjennie View Post

I had an 8lb 2oz baby, and the oranges did NOT last long. I think she wore them for 3 days before I got brave enough to just fold down a yellow edge- and they fit SO much better. They are almost all we use now, with Imse Vimse Bumpy NB wool covers and some mama-made knitted wool. I use pfs during the day and Thirsties AIOs at night. As soon as her cord falls off we will be switching to BGOS- the Thirsties just fit her weird.

!
I am so glad you said this. Most everyone I have talked to has said they think we will need the oranges. My last two babes were 8lb10oz and 9lbs and each 22.5 inches long! I am thinking we will probably be able to skip the oranges, too.

And as for the menconium... you would think I would remember having had two already but how long does it typically last? Only a few days, right? I am having a c/s and will be in the hospital for several days so I am thinking by the time we are home we will be in the clear.

Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #112
mindycat72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

GMD orange edge pfs. I bought infant, which he swam in, then ended up stacking 2-3 preemies that I had bought for my older son's pockets. They lasted for 6-8 weeks, so the oranges would have definitely been worth it.
mindycat72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #113
MCmom3
Registered Users
seller

great thread! I am feeling so much less nervous about all this diapering stuff...
Old 11-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #114
leahcatherinesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wonderful thread! I started CDing dd at 10 weeks but we're going from day 1 with this one!
Old 11-11-2008, 12:37 PM   #115
gr33nie
Registered Users
seller

Did anyone use xs fuzzi bunz?

How do they work with the umbilical cord?

Sarah
Old 11-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #116
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We used XS fuzzi bunz for the first 6 weeks. He was 8 pounds 9 ounces at birth and almost 12 pounds at 7 weeks and they did great. The were not so great with the umbilical cord but I folded them in so they went under the stump and we didn't have any trouble. Our Swaddlebees AIO did much better with the stump.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:21 PM   #117
widerangebooks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bump!
widerangebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:03 PM   #118
proudmama4
Registered Users
Formerly: jke**y
seller

My Mood:

That all we really need was prefolds. Now that DS is older we use fitteds and pockets. But the prefolds just seemed easier for us. DH actually preferred them too.
proudmama4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #119
kim.mpls
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngatheart View Post
Our favorite in clothing is a merino wool sleep-sack (recycled sweater) It's sewn closed at the bottom and has a long zipper in front...makes all those diaper changes super quick and easy...no cover needed, no water-proof pad under him during changes, no socks or footies to fall off, and no longies to have to take completely on and off each time. Just unzip, change, and zip back up!

I wish I had known how much we would love sleep-sacks with our prefolds. That's pretty much what we reach for first...I'm having to work quickly to sew more of them for both grandkids now
I made one of these too! Used a cotton Halo sleepsack and sewed the wool over it, added sleeves (also used recycled mens merino sweater). Perfect for winter! We keep our house plenty cold at night, but she's comfortable with a long sleeve tee/onsie and her wool sack with the cotton liner. Fleece never seemed to be the right temp (too hot or too cold).

Now I need to make the next size up! Gosh she's growing fast.
kim.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #120
kim.mpls
Registered Users
seller

We used sposies that first week or so (first baby, c-section, meconium avoidance, sleep deprivation).

Then we went to Kissaluvs with Litewraps. (24 KL0 & 4 NB litewraps kept us in cloth until she was about 11 pounds.) I agree that she wet right through the Kissaluvs-- and she hated both wetting and sitting in them, so we changed them all the time! But we NEVER had a blowout, only got BF poo on one cover in all that time, and that was cause we changed it before it had absorbed into the cloth and it spilled out. And the sun took the stains right out

Around 11 pounds we moved to MotherEase One-Size with small Litewraps or wool covers and a doubler at night. We also use a few BumGenius OS for daycare, never tried them when she was smaller so I can't speak to it. So far, I'm delighted. She's 3 1/2 months old, 13 pounds, and I've become such an advocate for cloth diapering. It's so much easier (and complicated with all the choices) than I ever would have imagined!
kim.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote